Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering trading the GTI in on a Macan S for the Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Interesting thread that I'll add one more post to.

The Macan is a very very good SUV - or CUV, what ever you want to call it. Many posts here have focused on the interior space, not so much the driving experience and that's where I had trouble with the TWO (yep -count 'em) I had.

I got into the Macan after picking up a great 2010 Golf with a GTI package (seats, steering wheel, shifter, front end suspension bits etc...) and wanted, I don't know, the status of driving a Porsche? But what I found was a less than expected driving experience. I found them BIG, in comparison to the 911's and Spyder, and pretty dead in the steering feel. So I tried a GTS thinking that would scratch the itch but again found it BIG and the steering feel dead. Sorry - I don't mean to offend any Macan owners here as they beautiful cars but maybe (obviously) just not right for me. So I sold them off and kept the Golf - the close to perfect small and agile, fun to drive in the city, with enough room to carry some things.

Will I ever get back into one? Should I want an SUV, perhaps. I love the styling. But I'm looking now for something larger along the lines of a 2000 Audi RS4 wagon.

I see a member here expecting a 991.2 GT3 picked up a GTI as DD. And I know another PCA member who is expecting a 991.2 GT3 and picked up an eGolf that he loves. The Golfs are a great, stylish IMO, evolutionary car (starting off in 1984) much like the Porsche sports cars. They pack a big bang for your buck. I also know of two other PCA members here that have Tiguans and love them.

So I see the OP is picking up a BMW 550i and it will be interesting to see how that goes, whether or not he's back in a GTI or Golf R within a year. Congrats and keep us posted OP!

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-27-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

The GTI is great for a commuter car, I no longer commute, its a great car. We are keeping the 2010 and trading the 2012. I just wanted a bigger car for road trips and as a daily driver and thought the macan would be big enough, the 2015 550i xdrive has the m package and drives like the the macan. If I was going to recommend a GTI, I would say get an mk6 or 7... They are great.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I have two teenage boys and they haven't complained either even during long trips.
I have a theory about this...

No judgment

OP: Are you talking about the new Macans? (edit: I wrote 'Caymans' the first time. I have Caymans on the brain) Yes, they are fantastic. Driving one (loaner base model) for a couple of days changed my ideas about how an SUV could be fun and rewarding. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a “driver’s car,” but it *is* the damned closest thing you’ll get in that type of vehicle. I’d say - go for it!

Edit: I see your recent update about a 5-series. Those are good cars, and it sounds like your mind is made up! Hope the driving experience is what you’re looking for. Certainly “easier” to drive than probably the GTI or Macan, but I have not found them nearly as engaging. I suppose if you have a “fun car,” too, an easy-to-drive DD is actually the best call. Enjoy.

Last edited by Benjamin Cherry; 01-27-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Yeah, I have a fun car, its a 2016 Boxster Spyder pictured left.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Yeah, I have a fun car, its a 2016 Boxster Spyder pictured left.
​​​​​​Nice very nice. I'd say you have all your bases covered.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

550. Pic?

Had a Mk5 as a DD a decade ago. The GTI is a nice car but would want a bit more excitement from a hot hatch car.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Woah - that was a different direction. I used to have a 550 many moons ago - fun cruising car but not really agile.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a GTI for a DD once my GT3.2 arrives. Am I going to be disappointed in it?

Just looking for something fun to run around in, take when visiting clients etc. May even get the PDK equivalent given I will have 2 manual cars.
Spend the extra money and get the Golf R over the GTI if you can.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Macan GTS is great which mine was replaced with a MK3 TTRS and now my daily is a Sport Turismo which I also recommend if you need more size and comfort. Maybe go GTS for more sport to match your golf.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
The GTI is great for a commuter car, I no longer commute, its a great car. We are keeping the 2010 and trading the 2012. I just wanted a bigger car for road trips and as a daily driver and thought the macan would be big enough, the 2015 550i xdrive has the m package and drives like the the macan. If I was going to recommend a GTI, I would say get an mk6 or 7... They are great.
Hey - great idea. I get your scene and by comparison we have a 528i sedan as our people hauler. Also a great car, this with the legendary inline NA 6.

The Golf I drive ins Mk 6. Nice styling.

Post some pics when we have the 550i.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:07 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

My wife owned a Macan S and I DD a Golf R - both great vehicles but very very different. The Macan is really not a small SUV - or at least it does not drive like one, only down size is size as has been previously stated. The Golf is a real hoot to drive- is a very usable year round high performance car, nothing fancy but a real drivers car.
Phil
Old 01-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Instead of comparing a Macan to a Golf, anyone have experience driving both the new 2018 BMW X3 M40i? I have an X3 3.5i that I really like. Plenty of room, quick etc. but when I replace it in a year or so, when the warranty expires on the BMW, seriously considering either the X3 M40i vs the Macan S or GTS. Thoughts??
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM
JakiChan
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny, I'm getting ready to swap my 2004 R32 for a Cayman S. I will miss the R something fierce though. Talk about a great sounding engine...
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

We have a '17 Macan GTS. It's my wife's DD but I also drive it a decent amount, esp on longer trips. Astonishingly great driving crossover / small SUV. No it's not a 4-door 911, but it's far closer to a sports car or sports sedan than any crossover I've driven previously. She downsized / upgraded from an Explorer which has tons of space, but obviously light years difference in terms of driving dynamics. We just have one young kid so 3rd row SUV was kinda overkill for our needs.

GTIs and Golf R's are pretty sweet. I'd agree that Macan isn't going to provide much additional interior space over Golf / A3 / etc platform. Macan's headroom isn't bad actually with the panoramic roof in the back seat for folks 6' and under, but it's not exactly spacious and certainly tight for very tall folks.

I'm the sort who will have my manual transmission, naturally aspirated car pried from my cold dead hands once everything is auto/turbo/self-driving. So I recently picked up an '08 RS4 as my four season utility vehicle. But honestly I'd be perfectly happy to DD the Macan GTS. And the GTS does indeed feel a lot sharper than the S, the power difference is negligible but the handling, throttle response, etc is very apparent (test drove them back to back).
Old 02-06-2018, 02:06 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

2015 550i xdrive
Old 06-23-2018, 04:42 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Update, we just traded the wifes GTI for a 2017 Macan S. She loves it.

Quick Reply: Considering trading the GTI in on a Macan S for the Daily Driver