Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2015 Cayman 981 GTS is for sale by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts
Default My 2015 Cayman 981 GTS is for sale by dealer

Great car. White, black leather, red belts, MT, 23k miles. They are asking $4k more than car gurus estimated value, so I bet a firm 65k offer would be taken. Doesn't matter to me other than I would love to see it sold to a rennlister/enthusiast. I can vouch for its care and quality. It's at Stratham NH Porsche.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:44 AM
pulpz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is the first 981 GTS I've seen priced sub 70k. This is a great price considering its rare 6MT. What's was the original MSRP? Looks like the option sheet may have been a little thin? No Nav, PDLS, 14/18 way adjustable seats, Park sensors etc?

I'm watching the 981 GTS market - especially 6MT. Just trying to understand how they might depreciate over time. Seems like the 6MT maybe holding better than the PDK considering the limited availabilty
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that's a great price for a GTS. when I was looking for mine, the price ranges from low 70's to low 80's depending on mileage.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by pulpz
What's was the original MSRP?
Crazy how well the Cayman GTS holds its value. Original sticker of that car was $79K.

I bought my 2015 Boxster GTS a couple of months ago. A few more miles than that Cayman but CPO through mid 2021 and a sticker of $94K. I paid $62K.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:59 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

It has PDLS, red seat belts, leather, heated seats, Bose, auto dimming mirrors. It doesn't have the other options you mention: 4 way sports plus seats are great, I like the silver backrests; didn't want NAV, I use my iPhone; parking this small car not an issue, great visibility (unlike Boxster), didn't want sensors.

Yes, despite what you read about driving new car off the lot, the depreciation was modest: after discount was only $5K per year. I might never have such luck again, but low option GTS, MT and NA was a favorable combination to keep the depreciation modest.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
...great visibility (unlike Boxster), didn't want sensors...
You ain't a woofin' about visibility. I'm 5'6" and with the top up backing up my Boxster is a nightmare. I have the camera but its resolution is terrible. I suspect it is much better for someone of average height or taller.

That is one thing I love about my Miata. Soft top up you have pretty good visibility when backing up. Hard top on your have very good visibility when backing up. Top down you can see EVERYTHING. New cars can't be designed like that anymore due to crash regulations.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:31 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Pricing of Cayman GTS have held up rather well. I traded my very lightly optioned MT '15 GTS with ~12k miles last November and was able to recoup 85% of what I originally purchased the car for. And that doesn't include the amount I saved on state sales tax by offsetting the trade in value against purchase value of a new 991.2 GTS.

Last edited by DBH; 01-15-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by pulpz
I think this is the first 981 GTS I've seen priced sub 70k. This is a great price considering its rare 6MT. What's was the original MSRP? Looks like the option sheet may have been a little thin? No Nav, PDLS, 14/18 way adjustable seats, Park sensors etc?

I'm watching the 981 GTS market - especially 6MT. Just trying to understand how they might depreciate over time. Seems like the 6MT maybe holding better than the PDK considering the limited availabilty
Cayman GTS prices seem to have done something strange. There were a few 2015 Cayman GTSes here that were posted for/sold for mid-high 60s back in the summer/fall of 2016 (admittedly I believe the lowest priced one was a white track car for 63k), but since that time they seemed to jump back up above 70 and seem to stay there pretty consistently.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:35 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

If you're willing to compromise on miles there may be a deal out there for you; FWIW my Boxster GTS was 60k, but it did have a fair amount of miles on it (47k). It is also very well optioned- original MSRP was $94k. 6MT, parking sensors, 18-way seats, GTS package, Bose, Nav, PDLS, X73, even Porsche entry and drive. The only option it doesn't have that I would have spec'd is PTV. Carrara white with black wheels. Whatever apprehension I have about the miles is easier to overlook with the CPO warranty. No way I would have bought otherwise... but this is an absolutely perfect car for me and allowed me to jumpstart my 981 GTS ownership without having to wait until my lease ended and risk not finding the right car. I'm not sure what the value story will be in the future but for now it doesn't matter; I know I just bought this but I've never been so determined to keep a car forever than I am right now. Even as I was sitting in the dealership going through paperwork to lease my M4 I was already thinking about what would be next (I guess that's why I leased in the first place...?)... not with this one.

Anyway, TL;DR... anyone who's on the fence considering a 981 GTS, this Cayman seems like a legit deal on a great (somewhat rare) car, especially if the dealer decides to CPO it. GO GET IT!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Great car. White, black leather, red belts, MT, 23k miles. They are asking $4k more than car gurus estimated value, so I bet a firm 65k offer would be taken. Doesn't matter to me other than I would love to see it sold to a rennlister/enthusiast. I can vouch for its care and quality. It's at Stratham NH Porsche.
So, am I to assume that my 2016 981 BS with 680 original miles, 6MT, full black leather, 14way, GT silver, PASM, PSE, Bose, and many other options including full XPEL would be worth upwards of $75K? Car listed at $87K including XPEL, and is completely flawless.This is essentially a new 2016 Boxster S. The car's never been wet, no rain/snow, and literally never washed. Just detailed and waxed. I might be interested in selling. Yeah, I know. DRIVE IT!!

Blue, your car sounds like a beautiful and well cared for Porsche!
Old 01-20-2018, 04:57 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

I noticed Stratham Porsche didn't list my Cayman GTS as CPO. I contacted my SA and got this response:

Our shop did find that in order for it to be certified we need to replace the summer tires along with repainting the front bumper due to heavy scratches. Porsche Certification is extremely strict in regards to this.
We may end up wholesaling or sending it to auction as it may not make sense for us to try and retail it after shop bills. I personally love the car and just minor things in my opinion but cost may not make sense after everything is said and done for us

https://porscheofstratham.com/invent...+White+1661065

Interesting to see that the CPO really does mean a high level of quality, at least for this dealership. BTW I did document for them the scratches etc prior to trade in. I talked to a local body shop and they would have charged me about $1000 for a full front bumper respray.

Quick Reply: My 2015 Cayman 981 GTS is for sale by dealer