Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Rear View Camera retrofit...hmm...

Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts
Default 981 Rear View Camera retrofit...hmm...

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...ERSION__2.html

Anyone here done this?

My August 2015 build has PCM 3.1 version 4.73. This looks very tempting and easy, although out of stock until mid January.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 01-09-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
https://youtu.be/AzDXoS0Avao

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...ERSION__2.html

Anyone here done this?

My August 2015 build has PCM 3.1 version 4.73. This looks very tempting and easy, although out of stock until mid January.
Great find, thank you for sharing. I'll look forward to checking the software version on my 981C after I pick it up this weekend. This would be a priority add.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:59 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

no, I just bought one of these.

https://quickvucams.com/
Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
no, I just bought one of these.

https://quickvucams.com/
I can't see myself sticking that screen on the top of my dash. I also can't see that this product automatically activates when Reverse is engaged. Also, is this a bluetooth connection? Seems cumbersome.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

I installed the Pearl Vision back up camera on my GT4. Not cheap ~ $500, although it's an excellent product & you pay for what you get (quality). I'm extremely happy with the product overall.
If you have a + size phone or a X, the screen is more than large enough. It took less than an hour to install, with everything working perfectly after. The software can run in the background on your phone & has a launch fxn after you're done backing up, to get google maps, spotify or whatever going again straight away. I practiced backing up with couple cardboard boxes just to get an idea of how well it worked & could get as close as 2 inches no problem.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
I installed the Pearl Vision back up camera on my GT4. Not cheap ~ $500, although it's an excellent product & you pay for what you get (quality). I'm extremely happy with the product overall.
If you have a + size phone or a X, the screen is more than large enough. It took less than an hour to install, with everything working perfectly after. The software can run in the background on your phone & has a launch fxn after you're done backing up, to get google maps, spotify or whatever going again straight away. I practiced backing up with couple cardboard boxes just to get an idea of how well it worked & could get as close as 2 inches no problem.
I have to ask, given what I see in your signature regarding your prior cars. Why is it that so many Turbo owners only keep their cars for short periods of time and ultimately (as in your case) end up in other types of cars? I was in the market for a car a couple years ago and I guy I know who is an "exotic car guy" told me not to get a 911 Turbo because I'll want to dump it quickly. I regret not asking "why" but I'll ask you. Why? Are they impractical in some way that makes them not long for the stable?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:53 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I have to ask, given what I see in your signature regarding your prior cars. Why is it that so many Turbo owners only keep their cars for short periods of time and ultimately (as in your case) end up in other types of cars? I was in the market for a car a couple years ago and I guy I know who is an "exotic car guy" told me not to get a 911 Turbo because I'll want to dump it quickly. I regret not asking "why" but I'll ask you. Why? Are they impractical in some way that makes them not long for the stable?
I think people just switch cars a lot, regardless of the type. For me, I sold my TTS because I didn't want a PDK car, and couldn't find a spec 997.1 TT that I liked. Ultimately was looking for something raw/visceral, and the Spyder fit that perfectly and value retention was a somewhat added plus in case I decided I didn't like the vehicle.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:12 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

If the grid lines would move with the steering wheel turning, I'd be interested.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

1. I keep it in the glovebox unless I am backing up
2. When you plug it in it stays on about 30 seconds so you can back up
3. you can turn it on for another 30 with 1 button
Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
1. I keep it in the glovebox unless I am backing up
2. When you plug it in it stays on about 30 seconds so you can back up
3. you can turn it on for another 30 with 1 button

What do you mean by "plug it in?" I am intrigued. What is the specific sequence of events after you enter the vehicle?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:50 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
This looks like an interesting option that should theoretically work with multiple devices -- specifically what I mean is a dedicated device that acts only as a screen, as opposed to using my phone. I have two (long-forgotten) iPad minis that probably wouldn't support the app due to their OS version, but also have an untouched Samsung Galaxy S5 (and some other old LG tablet) that would probably do the job.

1. Does this seem correct? As long as I have a Bluetooth enabled device, I shouldn't need for it to have a data connection most of the time, right? This would allow me to more securely mount the phone or tablet and not have to use my own phone (desirable for a number of reasons, including not having to put on/take off, have the battery-sucking app installed, etc)

I checked out the product website and also read some reviews on another Porsche enthusiast forums that I shall not mention here at RL! This leads to another question:

2. How is the placement of the "Car Adapter" / OBD plug-in device. Others have said it is near the left footrest/clutch pedal, which seems highly inconvenient and prone to being knocked off.

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

The Maxspeed setup is only $250, works with the factory hardware and software, automatically displays when placed in reverse, and requires no batteries and no wire splicing. I can't see any downside to it, honestly. Can't be that difficult to run the video cable from the dash to the license plate. I may have to be the guinea pig on this one.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

The Maxspeed setup is only $250, works with the factory hardware and software, automatically displays when placed in reverse, and requires no batteries and no wire splicing. I can't see any downside to it, honestly. Can't be that difficult to run the video cable from the dash to the license plate. I may have to be the guinea pig on this one.
Yes, I think you're right. The CARFAX for the 981C I'm buying shows that Porsche updated the PCM software in summer 2015 so I'm hopeful it's compatible with the Maxspeed solution.

The most time-consuming hurdle will be having someone recode the PCM to accept the camera.

If you get to it first, please post a detailed review. Again, great share -- thanks!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:01 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Also, for those who are interested in the install complexity but couldn't be bothered to find it on the Maxspeed website: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...structions.pdf
Old 01-11-2018, 02:19 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Cherry
Also, for those who are interested in the install complexity but couldn't be bothered to find it on the Maxspeed website: https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...structions.pdf
Gotta love the “English as a second language” instructions. I’m a little unsure what he means by signal wire at the license plate light but I guess it will probably be self evident when I get in there. Aside from frying the factory harness, what could go wrong? It’s only 250 bucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 Rear View Camera retrofit...hmm...