Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Rear View Camera retrofit...hmm...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I took the mount off the back of the monitor
It plugs into the lighter outlet
I think its fine for what it is ( a no drill solution)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the Pearl unit for the better part of a year. It's worked well, but I WOULD NOT BUY IT NOW. Pearl went out of business and the product (not the company) was bought by another company which does not support the software. The result is that as e.g. Apple IOS has evolved the Pearl software has not and has lost some functionality. Over time I expect it will no longer work and be useless. Plus, if a component breaks you'll be SOL. Great product, albeit expensive, without a future.

A search will find a thread with more discussion.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Maxspeed unit sounds promising. Too bad the instructions are so poorly written.
Any thoughts here on how to route the camera signal cable on a Boxster instead of a Cayman?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitten
The Maxspeed unit sounds promising. Too bad the instructions are so poorly written.
Any thoughts here on how to route the camera signal cable on a Boxster instead of a Cayman?
it looks like simply a matter of getting the cable under the sill trim and through the two pieces of plastic behind it. It seems that most of the boxster interior trim is held on by retention clips only so I imagine it’s a pop off and pop on situation. I will take pictures as I go for it.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my first P-car tomorrow, a 2014 Cayman. Weather here is god awful but I'll be posting proud papa pics when things clear up.

What do you think is the likelihood that the PCM software will be up-to-date enough to support the Maxspeed solution? This entry on the CARFAX seemed reassuring:

04/30/2015

Porsche Cars North America

Manufacturer Voluntary Service Action issued

#WF27 VOLUNTARY SERVICE ACTION - PERFORM PCM
(WITH XM RADIO) UP

Click here or call 1-800-PORSCHE to locate an authorized Porsche dealer near you.
I'm excited about this solution; not having a backup camera is my only complaint about the car at this point. Otherwise, it has everything I want.

Once I check the PCM version I'm 99% likely to pull the trigger on this. May need to wait for slightly more friendly weather to get it done.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

The Pearl unit is crap. Never worked on my 2016 Spyder. Pearl originally said it was a conflicting issue with Porsche OBD software. Now that the company went belly up the new company is non responsive to getting the issue resolved. Just shows that it is better to wait until things are tested before buying. Pearls start up guys blew $50 Million in startup money and left the consumer with a useless license frame.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdm100
The Pearl unit is crap. Never worked on my 2016 Spyder. Pearl originally said it was a conflicting issue with Porsche OBD software. Now that the company went belly up the new company is non responsive to getting the issue resolved. Just shows that it is better to wait until things are tested before buying. Pearls start up guys blew $50 Million in startup money and left the consumer with a useless license frame.
It's very unfortunate it didn't work in your car. Perhaps it was a defective unit? I purchased mine through Amazon b/c if there were problems, would be easy return. I decided to go with the Pearl unit b/c of a couple of reasons. There wasn't a need to run wires or possibly have the car into a shop for install. That being said though, I sure think the maxspeed solution is an excellent system, I just didn't know about it when setting up mine. I've since changed the rear wing extensions to the Salter Aero which opens up the rear window view completely. I also liked the fact that the Pearl system has two cameras on the plate frame. One which is regular view & the other wide angle which gives you a better perspective of side views. The lines on screen represent the side of the car well, when you take the time to do measurements.

Apparently, Pearl Automation did get sold & maybe there were some problems with tech/software support initially. I bought the camera just before the 2017 Xmas holiday season & have an iPhone X with the latest iOS, which had the Pearl system up & functioning perfectly, right away, so they have obviously updated the software b/c I did a firmware update just before configuring the camera. Time will only tell I suppose, as far as future support goes, however it's working great for now.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I have to ask, given what I see in your signature regarding your prior cars. Why is it that so many Turbo owners only keep their cars for short periods of time and ultimately (as in your case) end up in other types of cars? I was in the market for a car a couple years ago and I guy I know who is an "exotic car guy" told me not to get a 911 Turbo because I'll want to dump it quickly. I regret not asking "why" but I'll ask you. Why? Are they impractical in some way that makes them not long for the stable?
This has likely been discussed in another thread, however I'll make a couple comments.

The Turbo's are awesome cars too, it just depends what you want out of a car. IMHO the modern 911 turbo is more like a touring car than a sports car. It's extremely fast, yet boring to drive, other than the acceleration is mind numbing. My first turbo was the 997.1 with a MT which was fun & had more driver engagement. The 991 cars with PDK are so refined & somewhat sterile driving experiences. Sure, might be better on a long driving trip, although I've driven my GT4 for long stretches & it's just more fun. I find there's much more driver engagement with the GT4, it feels like driving a fun go cart!

If I need acceleration & a touring car, I'll jump in the 620 bhp M5 competition edition which also has much better ride than the TTS

Last edited by G-forceGT4; 01-14-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
Apparently, Pearl Automation did get sold & maybe there were some problems with tech/software support initially. I bought the camera just before the 2017 Xmas holiday season & have an iPhone X with the latest iOS, which had the Pearl system up & functioning perfectly, right away, so they have obviously updated the software b/c I did a firmware update just before configuring the camera. Time will only tell I suppose, as far as future support goes, however it's working great for now.
Really? Try the phone in portrait (horizontal) and report back. I (and several others) have been unsuccessful in getting any response from American Road Products which now owns the Pearlvision. Read the recent reviews on Amazon. I still use it (in portrait), but it's days are numbered , at least for iPhones.

Quick Reply: 981 Rear View Camera retrofit...hmm...