718 refresh or replacement - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

718 refresh or replacement

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
fast1
Super User

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules View Post
That would make perfect sense if you look at the Alfa 4c which is a direct competitor. It could be Porsche is looking beyond all this as they look to usher in the electric sports car era. Which is interesting when you consider the sound debate. Actually having the muted sound of the turbo 4 will help them transition to electric. It would be quite a shock to go from the NA roar to electric. Having the turbo 4 in place today is taking sound out of the equation as an integral part of the Porsche sports car experience. One day I'll own an electric Porsche I'm sure. I won't ever give up my flat 6 NA for it.
Sound use to be an important factor when selecting a car. I remember when the first turbo was raced at the Indy 500, and the ovation it received when it broke down before finishing. My guess is that the turbo was relatively quiet, especially when compared to the NA race cars. Your point about transition from NA - Turbo - Electric could have merit, especially if the E car will be faster than the turbo.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:30 PM
MidEngineRules
User

Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
Sound use to be an important factor when selecting a car. I remember when the first turbo was raced at the Indy 500, and the ovation it received when it broke down before finishing. My guess is that the turbo was relatively quiet, especially when compared to the NA race cars. Your point about transition from NA - Turbo - Electric could have merit, especially if the E car will be faster than the turbo.
The Boxster E (987 based) in 2011 produced 398 tq. Still, 0-60 times were over 5 seconds and top speed was 125 mph. I can only imagine whatever they're working on now will be a step up in performance assuming there's a 983 electric. It wouldn't be a Porsche if it didn't take a conservative incremental step forward.

Sound is still important which is why some companies produce fake noise through stereo systems. Not sure what Harley Davidson plans to do about their signature sound since they are now exploring electric motorcycles. Sound is definitely important to me. Whether it's a WWII Spitfire or Mustang (same motor), an F1 car during the V12 era, 2 stroke GP 500 racers, or the Porsche flat 6 from air to water cooled. Not having sound will be a significant loss to the discerning enthusiast. If sound doesn't matter I question your passion and whether you have a soul. Sound is also a big part of driving feel and feedback to know the status of operation. I can see in the future where you'll be able to drive your electric and pick a particular engine sound based on your mood, or mute it altogether. Hopefully there will be good sound choices!

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 01-13-2018 at 07:39 PM.