Sponsored by: APR

SO many GT4's for sale....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:29 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default SO many GT4's for sale....

I am in the market for a manual 981 Cayman S or GTS and can't help but notice how many GT4s are for sale online right now. Depending on the website, the amount is usually double or triple the number of GTS's. What do you think this will do to their value in the long run...value has been relatively steady, but with new GT4 allocation whispers floating around, I feel they won't stick around $100k range for long...
Old 12-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Many of the GT4 buyers couldn’t get a allocation for 991 GT3 and the GT4 was the back up purchase in many cases. With that said GT4’s were produced in high numbers, and unlike the 981 Spyder estimates 800 in the US. The new GT4 is rumored to have the new 4.0L motor which would further depreciate the GT4. Now with that said it could go backwards because the new GT4 can drive a high ADM, and not be obtainable for many. I always say buy the car you like, and feel good about your deal because that’s where the value lies. A deal on a car is like asking your coworker what he makes, and once he tells you ...you’re like I got screwed(: Good luck hunting.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:40 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Many of the GT4 buyers couldn’t get a allocation for 991 GT3 and the GT4 was the back up purchase in many cases. With that said GT4’s were produced in high numbers, and unlike the 981 Spyder estimates 800 in the US. The new GT4 is rumored to have the new 4.0L motor which would further depreciate the GT4. Now with that said it could go backwards because the new GT4 can drive a high ADM, and not be obtainable for many. I always say buy the car you like, and feel good about your deal because that’s where the value lies. A deal on a car is like asking your coworker what he makes, and once he tells you ...you’re like I got screwed(: Good luck hunting.
Very interesting. Does anyone have allocation #'s for the GT4 vs. the GTS for 981 generation?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bminingham
Very interesting. Does anyone have allocation #'s for the GT4 vs. the GTS for 981 generation?
‘I’m sure they exist, but not aware. However I would never take a GTS over a GT4 because the GT car in the long run will still be a GT car, and keep value. Remember most cars in 4 years drop 50% or more .....GT4 in my book is still a good buy for what it does. I just woundnt take it over a Spyder that only carried 10 less HP’s, and is a more special car to me for what it does/looks.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:57 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bminingham
Seem to recall reading the GTS counted for about 12% of Boxster/Cayman sales in 2015 and 2016.

Can't compare the GTS to the Spyder/GT4 though. The GTS is just an options package. Porsche would build as many as people ordered. The GT4 and Spyder are truly special limited-edition cars.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:13 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Simple. Manual .2 GT3s are landing and it's winter. It is a great time to pick up a lightly used GT4 or .1 GT3.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:29 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
"high numbers"?, have you reviewed gmaki's GT4 registry?
There's ~ 2500 cars listed on there. My local shop a Porsche Premium dealer has sold maybe 5 or 6 of these cars. I wouldn't say the GT4's were produced in high numbers.
The 981 Spyder production #'s were quite low.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:30 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Seem to recall reading the GTS counted for about 12% of Boxster/Cayman sales in 2015 and 2016.

Can't compare the GTS to the Spyder/GT4 though. The GTS is just an options package. Porsche would build as many as people ordered. The GT4 and Spyder are truly special limited-edition cars.
^^
agree
Old 12-26-2017, 12:56 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Now if only someone would decide to sell their Dundon race headers off one of these beasts =)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
"high numbers"?, have you reviewed gmaki's GT4 registry?
There's ~ 2500 cars listed on there. My local shop a Porsche Premium dealer has sold maybe 5 or 6 of these cars. I wouldn't say the GT4's were produced in high numbers.
The 981 Spyder production #'s were quite low.
Agree, my comparisons is relative to the Spyder and you have to consider the GT4 and the GT3 buyer are one in the same group. Most GT4 owners I know couldn’t get a GT3 new and the GT4 was the back up plan. Now with GT3 ‘s hitting the market .1 and .2 it will pressure the GT4’s hence all the sales. GT3 ‘s are popping up all over also now for about 130K .......I sold my GT3 for MSRP last October, and my RS for above MSRP its all timing. I’ve decided the Spyder is the keeper.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Even though the GTS was not limited, I just don't think the market was there. It's a nice car, but the MSRP for a nicely equipped Cayman GTS was often more than a GT4. It was a tough sell, even had the GT4 not been in the mix. My feeling is the number of GTSs produced was much lower than the number of GT4s. I have nothing to base that on other than pure observation.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
It's a nice car, but the MSRP for a nicely equipped Cayman GTS was often more than a GT4. It was a tough sell, even had the GT4 not been in the mix.
In hindsight, aren't the GT4 and Spyder looking like ridiculous bargains now given 718 prices? At the time, I thought $82K base was a little crazy for a top-end Boxster. Now, in comparison to today's prices, it seems like a steal.

When I pulled the trigger, I looked at the Spyder as probably my last opportunity to get a highly-desirable/special new Porsche, built to my spec at a price I could afford, thinking that if I passed, I would likely be priced out of the market on any new/future "special" models coming thereafter, and that's exactly how things seem to be turning out two years later. Like many of you, I've had my share of missed automotive opportunities, but thankfully the Spyder isn't one of them.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:08 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
In hindsight, aren't the GT4 and Spyder looking like ridiculous bargains now given 718 prices? At the time, I thought $82K base was a little crazy for a top-end Boxster. Now, in comparison to today's prices, it seems like a steal.

When I pulled the trigger, I looked at the Spyder as probably my last opportunity to get a highly-desirable/special new Porsche, built to my spec at a price I could afford, thinking that if I passed, I would likely be priced out of the market on any new/future "special" models coming thereafter, and that's exactly how things seem to be turning out two years later. Like many of you, I've had my share of missed automotive opportunities, but thankfully the Spyder isn't one of them.
Yep that was a good call - based on 718 pricing GT4 and Spyder were a bargain - Spyder will be the one to have 25 years from now - will be much more rare than GT4 and just as special.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:14 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Wouldn't trade my 981 BGTS for a 981 Spyder or 981 GT4. With PDK and PTV, it's probably faster, with headers / tune it definitely is faster (sounds better too). 981 GTS were allocated to dealers separate from S and base, had to wait for a GTS specific allocation to order mine. GT4s were not built in the GT division, you might not like it, but facts are facts.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:36 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
GT4s were not built in the GT division, you might not like it, but facts are facts.
Source?

Clueless...

Quick Reply: SO many GT4's for sale....