Sponsored by: APR

SO many GT4's for sale....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 05:30 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Haven't checked prices lately, but last I did, it seems they haven't budged at all. I don't think GT4's are built at anywhere NEAR levels that will challenge their future values. Being not only the last of the N/A C/B's, but the last of the N/A AND flat 6 C/B's, every single one will see favorable future resales, none no more than the GT4/Spyder. IMO, due to the brand recognition of the GT cars, the GT4 even more so.

I find the 981 GTS's were underappreciated due to the justified excitement over the GT4. But I see more and more people recognizing how perhaps they're the perfect real-world/road going mid engine sports car. Sound of an atmospheric flat six, comfortable enough for mundane urban drives, and handling that's second to none outside of the succeeding and GT models? Can't really beat it. IMO, eventually (if not already), 981 GTS's will be more and more favored by the market.
Not a GTS I know, but Old Mother Rat has a 981S and it’s the most fantastically versatile, do-anything car.

That said I was loaned a 718S last week and thought that was incredible too. Sound less lovely (though I wouldn’t say ‘bad’), and for some reason the lag bothered me less than in the 991.2. Maybe my expectations were lower or maybe it’s because, even though it’s 4-cyl, at least it’s reasonably loud at low revs. Reminded me of my old BMW1200 GS a little bit. Very practical, slightly agricultural, essentially great.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:47 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat

Not a GTS I know, but Old Mother Rat has a 981S and it’s the most fantastically versatile, do-anything car.

That said I was loaned a 718S last week and thought that was incredible too. Sound less lovely (though I wouldn’t say ‘bad’), and for some reason the lag bothered me less than in the 991.2. Maybe my expectations were lower or maybe it’s because, even though it’s 4-cyl, at least it’s reasonably loud at low revs. Reminded me of my old BMW1200 GS a little bit. Very practical, slightly agricultural, essentially great.

Interesting you say that, as I feel similarly. The 718 Boxster S I had as a loaner was flat out one of the best car I've ever driven, period. I however did find its exhaust tone very bad. Though, I also find the 991.2's exhaust tone pretty lousy, and while it's not as offensive as the 718's 4, imo it's lacking in grit and character and harbors a comedically clinical turbo "woosh," while the 718's sound is at the very least audible from the cabin (not that it's a great sound, but the 991.2 is frankly way too quiet to me). I also agree that the 718's 4 feels a little less laggy. I hate that I'm saying this, but I enjoyed the way the 718's 4 cylinder performed/felt in terms of drive, powerband and response over the 991.2's boosted six. But indeed, it could be that it's wrapped in a more visceral and audible package. Go figure.

And my personal feeling/prediction is that every N/A flat six Boxster/Cayman is an instant legend, and will be rewarded by the market in the future. Absolutely flawless canyon carvers with real world capabilities, and a soulfully musical soundtrack that will only be more and more appreciated as we go from bland F/I soundtracks into soulless EV's.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting you say that, as I feel similarly. The 718 Boxster S I had as a loaner was flat out one of the best car I've ever driven, period. I however did find its exhaust tone very bad. Though, I also find the 991.2's exhaust tone pretty lousy, and while it's not as offensive as the 718's 4, imo it's lacking in grit and character and harbors a comedically clinical turbo "woosh," while the 718's sound is at the very least audible from the cabin (not that it's a great sound, but the 991.2 is frankly way too quiet to me). I also agree that the 718's 4 feels a little less laggy. I hate that I'm saying this, but I enjoyed the way the 718's 4 cylinder performed/felt in terms of drive, powerband and response over the 991.2's boosted six. But indeed, it could be that it's wrapped in a more visceral and audible package. Go figure.

And my personal feeling/prediction is that every N/A flat six Boxster/Cayman is an instant legend, and will be rewarded by the market in the future. Absolutely flawless canyon carvers with real world capabilities, and a soulfully musical soundtrack that will only be more and more appreciated as we go from bland F/I soundtracks into soulless EV's.
i think your comments are spot on as we all reach the the big push to the turbo era weather we like it or not. The turbo cars perform really well with the torque, and what we’re seening drivers are defaulting to feel and sound. I’m getting rid of my M4 because the sound is horrible and I tried to get use to it. I should have known better as I did the same with my M5, but it was more weight related .......but same weird fart sound. I bought a 458 Spyder because I love the sound, and passed on a 488. Boys we’re seeing the last of the great sounding cars. Honestly I’m to the point I don’t want to go any faster give me sound and a good sounding engine. I know it’s not a avoidable limited choices when buying new.

Last edited by Maverick787; 12-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:31 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maverick787

i think your comments are spot on as we all reach the the big push to the turbo era weather we like it or not. The turbo cars perform really well with the torque, and what we’re seening drivers are defaulting to feel and sound. I’m getting ride of my M4 because the sound is horrible and I tried to get use to it. I should have known better as I did the same with my M5, but it was more weight related .......but same weird fart sound. I bought a 458 Spyder because I love the sound, and passed on a 488. Boys we’re seeing the last of the great sounding cars. Honestly I’m to the point I don’t want to go any faster give me sound and a good sounding engine. I know it’s not a avoidable limited choices when buying new.

Well said and 100000000% agreed. I never minded turbos, until EVERY car had a turbo. Now, what's "old" has become new to me, and my appreciation for sound and feel trumps all when it comes to cars. Speed, stats, etc., mean less than ever (I don't track cars, so whatever brings a bigger smile on windy roads does the job). Pretty soon EV econoboxes will be out accelerating todays 911 turbo's, so I don't really care about that stuff anymore. Soul, sound, experience, is what drives me with ICE cars. Thus, I made the decision to myself that if I'm buying what I consider an expensive sports car, it has to sound excellent and let me "feel" it while driving it. Thus, N/A, purer sports cars are more my bag. As I acclimate myself to that system, I see myself doing exactly what you did. I also had a bunch of luxury sedans and a Macan, and now got into a 991.1 (the perfect bridge between luxury cars and visceral sports cars imo). But I don't see myself switching into the next computerized/muted-except-for-its-blower-sound 911 as much as I see myself perhaps moving backwards into more raw 911's, if I can ever get myself to sell this car.

I haven't driven a 488, but I did an F430 on track and a CaliforniaT. And while that "T" engine is powerful, guess what? To many degrees, it felt like every other turbo engine I've driven, just dialed differently in power. Turbos suck out so much feel and emotion from an engine, it gets hard to tell them apart. Nissan GTR, CaliforniaT, 991.2, new Macan, new Panny, new Audi, something every homogenized about the powertrains: Flat torque curves, filtered soundtracks, little bits of turbo lag, gobs of power, etc.

Great choice on the 458. I was behind one the other day in my 991.1 with an X Pipe replacing the center muffler which is an occasion where I rarely think anything around me sounds as good. Enter said 458: The soundtrack was booming off of buildings, it was the only moment where my car got demoted from tigerous scream to purring kitten.

The 488 is pretty (what Ferrari isn't), but it could run around a track I'll never drive on at 20 seconds faster than a 458 for all I care. One push of the 458 accelerator pedal and the sound and responsiveness that ensues would make my decision for me.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

^^^^
All things said these are the two I keep, and for a DD it will be a SUV there is no 4 door car that I want to drive which is sad. Speed and power are killing off the fun(:
Old 12-28-2017, 10:20 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I’m getting rid of my M4 because the sound is horrible and I tried to get use to it.
I spent a week in an M4 convertible driving up the coast of California. I hated that car. Gargling rocks is a pretty good description of the exhaust note. I would have much rather been in my 4GC, or even better, my little Miata. Tried to rent a Boxster but no one would let me pick it up in southern California and drop it off in San Francisco.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I spent a week in an M4 convertible driving up the coast of California. I hated that car. Gargling rocks is a pretty good description of the exhaust note. I would have much rather been in my 4GC, or even better, my little Miata. Tried to rent a Boxster but no one would let me pick it up in southern California and drop it off in San Francisco.
‘spot on, I tried to give it to my wife as it only has 9k miles on it ...it’s a convertible. She said no ....damn thought I got out of buying a car.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:05 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Interesting discussion. Would need some seat time again in a 991.2 to confirm my opinion, but did feel the 718 had a more appealing soul in spite of the fewer cylinders. And I know I’ve beaten this drum before but I don’t understand people getting their knickers in a twist re that. Ducatis have two cylinders while most of their competitors have four. Do we hear anyone saying they won’t pay £$XX,000 for a Panigale because it’s a twin?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Interesting discussion. Would need some seat time again in a 991.2 to confirm my opinion, but did feel the 718 had a more appealing soul in spite of the fewer cylinders. And I know I’ve beaten this drum before but I don’t understand people getting their knickers in a twist re that. Ducatis have two cylinders while most of their competitors have four. Do we hear anyone saying they won’t pay £$XX,000 for a Panigale because it’s a twin?
My biggest gripe with the 4 Cylinder is the fact that the engine is now much more complicated and the car weighs more overall. I admit that part of this is my old school mentality that a smaller engine should weigh less and the benefits you gain are better handling, better gas mileage and better acceleration assuming power is only slightly less. Porsche instead opted to augment the cars handling by changing the steering and they added more power to compensate for the additional weight.

While none of this matters now, in 10 -15 years I have to wonder if these engines will become problematic and more costly to maintain versus a similar naturally aspirated 981.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 12-30-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Apples to oranges; not even remotely comparable to this situation. The Ducati tein offers advantages over the four in many respects. The 718 engine is a creation of regulation.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:32 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
.................... Being not only the last of the N/A C/B's, but the last of the N/A AND flat 6 C/B's, every single one will see favorable future resales, none no more than the GT4/Spyder. .......................
The jury is still out on this one! Judging by what we know so far (and with some creative speculation!), NA will live to fight (and, excite) another generation!

^^^^
Ferrari clearly nailed the design that makes their Spiders look as good with the top up! Just look at it! If one didn't know, might think it's a coupe! Love it! Good choice!

............................. Ducatis have two cylinders while most of their competitors have four. Do we hear anyone saying they won’t pay £$XX,000 for a Panigale because it’s a twin?
I don't think it's a good analogy though I understand what you are saying. Twin vs Inline Four are both NA and distinct designs. They both offer specific power delivery characteristics and offer similar power levels, give or take. I don't like Panigale because of the design/styling, especially the Panigale V4. But, I do understand your point. I would be fine with turbo 4 if they can make the power delivery same as NA. Doesn't Ferrari do that (488)?

As for staying on topic: Despite the fact GT4 is an extremely great value, looks awesome and handles like any other fine product from GT Division, it will always be in the shadows of it's big brother, GT3! Doesn't help the fact that the components are 'hand-me-down' (as opposed to bespoke), though they don't diminish the result in any way. Though it's a GT car, many still (and, will always) pine for a GT3. It's a tough life being a little brother of an icon! If 982 GT4 turns out to be a turbo, then the values will shoot up. If NA, might see a dip, as everyone and his brother knows!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 PM
K-A
Drifting

IMO the analogy doesn’t translate to cars, especially F4 vs F6. But I do agree that the 718 harbors more soul than the 991.2. Could be that the rambunctiousness inherent within a 4 cylinder sort of combats the drowsy (powerful, yet drowsy in soulfulness) turbo effect, while what makes an N/A flat six so masterful (the inherent balance within a boxer 6 + the gruff natural aspirated sound is at once refined and raw) now with a turbo added on, is just far too smooth and refined (dulled) for its own good. Imo.

The 981 is the perfect combo imo. The 3.4+ versions all comfortably in the 12’s (1/4 mile) which is faster than I’ll ever need, sound amazing, and you can actually exercise the rev range (going fast isn’t fun to me on public roads. Going 25 MPH around a turn and STILL grinning ear to ear with your aural and tactile sensations pinging is what it’s all about). In fact, that is way too fast itself to really accomplish that, but it’s far closer.

The 718 is a riot in its own right. More than any non-GT3 991.2. But, I never really found much pleasure in revving it out. It was more about torque bursts which matched with the sound got old after awhile. Thankfully, the chassis is so excellent, taking turns never got old.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Wouldn't trade my 981 BGTS for a 981 Spyder or 981 GT4. With PDK and PTV, it's probably faster, with headers / tune it definitely is faster (sounds better too). 981 GTS were allocated to dealers separate from S and base, had to wait for a GTS specific allocation to order mine. GT4s were not built in the GT division, you might not like it, but facts are facts.
This sounds like purchase justification and no facts........Phil
Old 12-31-2017, 12:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil T
This sounds like purchase justification and no facts........Phil
‘Phil spot on ........I posted the Porsche press release which stated the GT4 was built by the GT division it’s a fact.
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=905
Old 12-31-2017, 05:10 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-A

IMO the analogy doesn’t translate to cars, especially F4 vs F6. But I do agree that the 718 harbors more soul than the 991.2. Could be that the rambunctiousness inherent within a 4 cylinder sort of combats the drowsy (powerful, yet drowsy in soulfulness) turbo effect, while what makes an N/A flat six so masterful (the inherent balance within a boxer 6 + the gruff natural aspirated sound is at once refined and raw) now with a turbo added on, is just far too smooth and refined (dulled) for its own good. Imo.

The 981 is the perfect combo imo. The 3.4+ versions all comfortably in the 12’s (1/4 mile) which is faster than I’ll ever need, sound amazing, and you can actually exercise the rev range (going fast isn’t fun to me on public roads. Going 25 MPH around a turn and STILL grinning ear to ear with your aural and tactile sensations pinging is what it’s all about). In fact, that is way too fast itself to really accomplish that, but it’s far closer.

The 718 is a riot in its own right. More than any non-GT3 991.2. But, I never really found much pleasure in revving it out. It was more about torque bursts which matched with the sound got old after awhile. Thankfully, the chassis is so excellent, taking turns never got old.
A solid argument imo.

I appreciate the analogy doesn’t translate perfectly, but I did end up trading my torque-monster R1200GS for a revvier S1000R!

Quick Reply: SO many GT4's for sale....