Sponsored by: APR

SO many GT4's for sale....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Wouldn't trade my 981 BGTS for a 981 Spyder or 981 GT4. With PDK and PTV, it's probably faster, with headers / tune it definitely is faster (sounds better too). 981 GTS were allocated to dealers separate from S and base, had to wait for a GTS specific allocation to order mine. GT4s were not built in the GT division, you might not like it, but facts are facts.
Not true on either account. Go back and look at lap times and go back and research where the GT4 was designed.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:26 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not true on either account. Go back and look at lap times and go back and research where the GT4 was designed.
case closed.
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=905
Old 12-27-2017, 09:29 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't trade my Spyder for any car, I did sell my 914-6 GT 3.2 that I owned for 27 years to get it. 1. it looks amazing 2. it has all the same stuff my 914 had 3. it has heat and air 4. I bought it new and it has no rust and has only been in the rain one time so far 5. It has a 3.8 Carrera S motor and a very smooth six speed... 6. at 53 since this is the only new Pcar I was ever able to own it will likely be the only one 7. when the car is 27 I will be 78 if I live that long 8. There may be faster cars but I am not racing it 9. like the 914, the spyder is like owning a sail boat my selfish saturday and sunday pleasure 10. the top goes down!

Oh yeah, mine has fabspeed race headers and cobb tune installed by me and sounds better than yours.... LOL.

Many of the GT4s have been tracked and will be torn up if not already so.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:59 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Completely OT, but how do you like your Golf R? Shopping for a new daily driver.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:15 PM
mdork
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Completely OT, but how do you like your Golf R? Shopping for a new daily driver.
you didn’t ask me but I also have a Golf R - 2016 with 6MT. For me, it is the perfect companion to my C4S (until 982 Spyder). The chassis is fantastic - composed but still playful. Power delivery is great for DD though the top end is a let down being FI 4cyl. Interior is best in class and a very nice place to be. Being in Seattle the AWD is great - my GTI had terrible wheel hop in the wet. With winter tires it eats up snow when I head to the mountains. Fender audio is surprisingly good as well.

Only two gripes are turning radius is terrible and I miss the glass roof from the GTI. 10/10 would buy again.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

mdork, I appreciate the input!!! I, too, am eagerly waiting for the release of a 982 Spyder...Golf R might make the perfect stablemate for it...
Old 12-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Haven't had it long but love it so far. Really versatile car and very fun to drive. Clutch is really light, so that's taking a little getting used to, but it has impressed me so far.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Haven't had it long but love it so far. Really versatile car and very fun to drive. Clutch is really light, so that's taking a little getting used to, but it has impressed me so far.
Thanks! Definitely going to check one out...I'd imagine it'll be way more fun than my current GranCoupe...
Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I didn't see a two-door R (or GTI for that matter) at the VW stand at the LA Auto Show so I asked a VW rep and he said the two-door R no longer comes to the U.S. as of last year, as I recall, which was news to me. Was always partial to the two-door Golf models because the doors were longer, swung out wider, and allowed me more room getting in and out. The four-doors have stubby-ier doors and the pesky B-pillar makes itself known which makes egress/ingress slightly more difficult (at least for this long-legged old body). Just wish the R was offered here in the two-door, but I'm probably in the minority as the four-door admittedly offers more versatility. Cool cars.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:00 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
In hindsight, aren't the GT4 and Spyder looking like ridiculous bargains now given 718 prices? At the time, I thought $82K base was a little crazy for a top-end Boxster. Now, in comparison to today's prices, it seems like a steal.

When I pulled the trigger, I looked at the Spyder as probably my last opportunity to get a highly-desirable/special new Porsche, built to my spec at a price I could afford, thinking that if I passed, I would likely be priced out of the market on any new/future "special" models coming thereafter, and that's exactly how things seem to be turning out two years later. Like many of you, I've had my share of missed automotive opportunities, but thankfully the Spyder isn't one of them.

Agreed. The Spyder was a good deal imho. At the time, Really did seem like it might be the last great affordable Porsche.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:15 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

+1

​​​​​​Born in Flacht!!!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:26 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Many of the GT4s have been tracked and will be torn up if not already so.
​​​​​​
That's prejudiced drivel.

Porsche GT cars have the reputation of reliable track performance, generally. Every generation has it's issues, but save the 3rd gear, most GT4s have and will continue years of blissful, reliable service.

I would not let a well maintained tracked GT4 dissuade you from purchase. Nor do I think a well maintained tracked specimens means you are entitled to an automatic discount.

if you are looking for a garage queen, flawless, or "collector-grade" car; it's true, tracked cars will have patina, and what you are seeking will be fewer and far between. But I am happy that the great majority of GT4s have been driven happily, either on track or spiritedly on street. A testament to their true purpose...
Old 12-27-2017, 01:38 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Clutch is really light, so that's taking a little getting used to, but it has impressed me so far.
Reminds me of going from my BGTS to my Miata. Every time I switch to the Miata and go to start it I darn near push the clutch through the firewall with my left foot and mash both the brake and gas pedal with my right foot. Takes me a second to re-calibrate.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:54 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

I love my GTI as a DD.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:23 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Haven't checked prices lately, but last I did, it seems they haven't budged at all. I don't think GT4's are built at anywhere NEAR levels that will challenge their future values. Being not only the last of the N/A C/B's, but the last of the N/A AND flat 6 C/B's, every single one will see favorable future resales, none no more than the GT4/Spyder. IMO, due to the brand recognition of the GT cars, the GT4 even more so.

I find the 981 GTS's were underappreciated due to the justified excitement over the GT4. But I see more and more people recognizing how perhaps they're the perfect real-world/road going mid engine sports car. Sound of an atmospheric flat six, comfortable enough for mundane urban drives, and handling that's second to none outside of the succeeding and GT models? Can't really beat it. IMO, eventually (if not already), 981 GTS's will be more and more favored by the market.

Quick Reply: SO many GT4's for sale....