Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Drain plug

Someone told me that Porsche recommends to replace the drain plug and washer with new ones at every oil change. I thought this was odd and checked the owners manual but could not find anything on it. The washer is obvious but the drain plug? The part is only $5.54 including the washer at Suncoast so the cost is not an issue. Is everyone doing this? Do dealers change the drain plug when they change oil?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I think the new plugs now are plastic and one-time use. See here from the 991 Forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9892...th-photos.html
Old 12-22-2017, 06:01 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change the o ring and crush washer every oil change, however I'm confident one could run the crush rings more than once without incident. I'm not a fan of a plastic drain plug, I don't see the logic, must be another one of those weight reduction items.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:11 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I think the new plugs now are plastic and one-time use. See here from the 991 Forum:

one of these now..........................wow
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

I noticed this on my friend's Audi too. Can't have a metal plug threading into a plastic pan.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

Wow! Never seen a plastic drain plug before. Fortunately (?), the 981, at least my 2015, uses an aluminum one.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

For he newest cars the drain plug, if plastic, is a one time item.

For the older models the drain plug, aluminum, can be reused.

The sealing ring (it is *not* a crush washer and it is *not* aluminum (it is silicon bronze alloy)) should be replaced every time.

When I got my first Porsche and wanted to do my own oil changes I ordered a number (10 I think, less than a $1/each) of new sealing rings, a spare drain plug, and a spare oil filter housing.

I'd remove the drain plug and while the oil was draining I'd remove the housing and filter and up end these to drain. After a 20 minute drain I'd install a new ring and put the drain plug in and torque it.

I'd get the clean spare housing out of a zipper plastic bag and install the new o-ring being careful to get it into the o-ring groove. I'd smear some fresh oil on the threads and on the o-ring then insert the filter element in the housing and fill the housing with fresh oil then carefully hand start the filter housing -- to be sure it didn't cross thread -- and hand tighten it as far as I could. When first hand tightening I'd give the housing a bit of a wiggle to help the o-ring slip into the block and then I'd torque the housing tight.

I'd get the drain pan out of the way and pour in the proper quantity of oil. I'd count the empty bottles *twice* to be sure I had the right amount in the engine. A check under the car for any leak sign or something left under the car and when all was ok I'd start the engine and be sure the oil light went out right at engine start. After a moment or two of idling to make sure all was well I'd drive the car off the ramps and let the engine idle while I cleaned up. This included cleaning the "old" housing and putting it in a zipper bag for next time.

Afterwards I'd shut off the engine and gather up my tools and things and then I'd check the oil level.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:42 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I'm with ya Macster and I respect your knowledge and wrenching skills. I do change the rings, as you stated they are cheap. But I'd equally wager the "failure" of said ring to contain the oil and failure rate of a reused ring would be minuscule to zero events, if the plug loosens the washer is moot. Most vehicles don't even use such a ring, why? Because it's a freaking drain plug and when properly tightened it contains the oil pan oil. If one of these cars so much as drips, we find it and I'm here to say if it ever did drip I'd suspect the questionably designed and redesigned rear main seal before the crush ring. The RMS in the 944 was a weak point as well, at least they're consistent.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by extanker
one of these now..........................wow
Go away, troll. Either offer something to the conversation, or GFY.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Old school 987's can use this... Like it.

https://lnengineering.com/billet-al-...e-s-turbo.html

Dave

'05 987S Arctic Silver
'92 968 SP#
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:07 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

That's what I use, that sucker is strong too
Old 12-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I was also replacing drain plugs during each oil change until I switched to a magnetic drain plug. If you switch to the magnetic drain plug make sure you don’t overtorque, the torque settings are much lower on the magnetic plugs.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I was also replacing drain plugs during each oil change until I switched to a magnetic drain plug. If you switch to the magnetic drain plug make sure you don’t overtorque, the torque settings are much lower on the magnetic plugs.
Me, too, on my 987. At the very least, those owners using the stock aluminum plugs should have a spare on hand. Even with care, each time the stock plug gets loosened or tightened, the hex socket gets deformed a bit.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:49 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

Wow, that’s nuts. Does the 718 have the plastic sump as well?

The 987.2 metal plug is a piece of junk. I installed a new one with a new washer last oil change: torqued it to spec by hand and it deformed around the socket. I’ve got one of the LN magnetic plugs that’s going in next change.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by MrMoose
The 987.2 metal plug is a piece of junk. I installed a new one with a new washer last oil change: torqued it to spec by hand and it deformed around the socket. I’ve got one of the LN magnetic plugs that’s going in next change.
Go easy on the L&N plug. Torque Spec is a low 19 ft.lbs. I use one too.

Quick Reply: Drain plug