Sponsored by: APR

Cup2 tires on 981 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Cup2 tires on 981 Spyder?

Have you done it and what are your impressions? Thinking about going with GT4 rims and Cup 2 tires to replace the Pzero (N1) that came with my car. Any impressions of going with a wider track and Cup2's? Don't want to ruin the playfulness of the Spyder which I think comes from the 265 rears.

Another option is to go with Sport 4S rubber which I've driven extensively and like but would prefer to do the Cup 2s if it doesn't adversely affect playful nature of this awesome car.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:23 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Have you done it and what are your impressions? Thinking about going with GT4 rims and Cup 2 tires to replace the Pzero (N1) that came with my car. Any impressions of going with a wider track and Cup2's? Don't want to ruin the playfulness of the Spyder which I think comes from the 265 rears.

Another option is to go with Sport 4S rubber which I've driven extensively and like but would prefer to do the Cup 2s if it doesn't adversely affect playful nature of this awesome car.

No comment on the wider track. If you are asking if you should get Cup 2 tires, than the answer is no. Cup 2 are track tires that barely let you drive to and from the track legally. (Friendly tone here) If you have to ask, you don't need them. Stick the 4S. You can't legally, safely or most likely physically extract the grip from the Cup 2's on the street during a "spirited drive" that you experience on a closed road course.

Last edited by 3Series; 12-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:29 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

^Agree. You (hopefully) aren't going to get any benefit from track tires in your street driving, and they will wear out 3-5x as fast for no gain. If you track the car, then absolutely get them.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up

super helpful, thanks guys! Also happens to be the cheapest way to go since I can just replace my rubber with 4S.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Cup two zero issues on the street had them on my GT3 and RS, and in the rain they have tread but very sticky. Very expensive and not needed for full street usage.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't disagree that Cup 2 "might" (debatable) be an overkill; but, GT4s are driven on the street with no adverse effects. I would suspect many of the GT4s may not get any track time. Also, we have seen 982 Spyder prototypes with Cup 2 tires. I am gonna bet that it will launch with those tires.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:48 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

They are an expensive option but I wouldn't say they are pointless for the street. There is a significant difference in feel even at low speeds between the cup 2 and super sports.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I doubt I would buy them due to cost/wear vs normal street tires like Pilot Sport 4S, but my 981 Spyder, which I bought used at 3200 miles, has just received brand new Pirelli Trofeo R tires on it when I took delivery, which are considered even more track focused than the Michelin Cup 2’s....

ive only driven the car on street, including a few long spirited drives through some great hilly country roads. They are terrific and exceed my expectations. They’re also extremely quiet and comfortable, and they look great too. Probably because they’re pretty soft rubber. My GT3 and GT4 has Cup 2’s and also drove them without problem on road all the time, including 1,000 plus round trip to Smokies GT last spring. Admittedly, in heavy rain on the Interstate, the Cup 2’s felt squirmy over 60mph. Also, they were atrociously slipper in the wet on a very rainy day at Smokies GT when we all went out in the rain and fog on some great twisty roads.

Long story short, if your road use is going to be mostly in the dry and in temps mid 50s and above, I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Cup 2’s or the Trofeo R’s on a 981 Spyder if you want it to have better grip and approach the handling limits of a GT4.

For a a more regular street tire, though, the Pilot Sport 4S would be my choice vs the crappy Porellu P Zeros that come standard on the car. The Michelin’s rose more comfortably.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:04 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lapis
................. Admittedly, in heavy rain on the Interstate, the Cup 2’s felt squirmy over 60mph. Also, they were atrociously slipper in the wet on a very rainy day at Smokies GT when we all went out in the rain and fog on some great twisty roads.
Long story short, if your road use is going to be mostly in the dry and in temps mid 50s and above, I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Cup 2’s or the Trofeo R’s on a 981 Spyder if you want it to have better grip and approach the handling limits of a GT4.
For a a more regular street tire, though, the Pilot Sport 4S would be my choice vs the crappy Porellu P Zeros that come standard on the car. The Michelin’s rose more comfortably.
If you stay at or under 60 MPH (and, with smooth inputs), do Cup 2 (or, Trofeo R) tires handle rain safely? Have you tried driving in 35 degree (F) temperature?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Cup 2's are not fun in the rain for a 100% road car in my opinion. Tread is limited for grip, were made for the track ........ also they need to heat up for max grip as you will slide. Can be fun, but I would pass on a DD car.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:24 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

The Cup 2 tire’s sidewall looks soooo good. I can’t help myself... I’m putting a set on my car for summer street driving... a little wiggle on cold tires just adds to the fun. Just treat them like motorcycle tires and don’t get on them until you have gotten a little heat in them at least.

let’s face it... every time you walk up to a RS car... the first thing you look at are those sexy rims and tires...
Old 12-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_rider
If you stay at or under 60 MPH (and, with smooth inputs), do Cup 2 (or, Trofeo R) tires handle rain safely? Have you tried driving in 35 degree (F) temperature?
Haven’t had the Spyder with the Trofeo R’s through a winter here (OH) yet, and in last few weeks, which were mild, only took it out for a drive on days when temps were 50 or so or higher.

Had my GT3 on Cup 2’s through 2 winters here and would sometimes take it for a 30 minute drive on sunny dry winter days when temps in 30s. Seemed perfectly safe even at speed on highway but ride was much less compliant as their soft rubber gets much harder when cold. Never tried any aggressive maneuvers with them in those temps. I wouldn’t have expected them to do very well if I had.

I think the wet wet is the main concern with these tires as you’re unlikely to drive on them much in freezing temps.

Even at at lower speeds in the wet, Cup 2’s can be a handful, but only if you push them around corners. I remember at Smokies GT last spring on the wet traction handling section of AMP, I could’t Even drive up the moderate incline of the water hill with them in GT3, that is, I couldn’t get to the top of it at all. I suspect in Pilot Sport 4S tires I would have been able to no problem.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cyclrder
The Cup 2 tire’s sidewall looks soooo good. I can’t help myself... I’m putting a set on my car for summer street driving... a little wiggle on cold tires just adds to the fun. Just treat them like motorcycle tires and don’t get on them until you have gotten a little heat in them at least.

let’s face it... every time you walk up to a RS car... the first thing you look at are those sexy rims and tires...
Hera ya go ....it’s the best wheel Porsche has made. This is what I miss from my RS.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:37 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Cup 2's are not fun in the rain for a 100% road car in my opinion. Tread is limited for grip, were made for the track ........ also they need to heat up for max grip as you will slide. Can be fun, but I would pass on a DD car.
Originally Posted by Lapis
Had my GT3 on Cup 2’s through 2 winters here and would sometimes take it for a 30 minute drive on sunny dry winter days when temps in 30s. Seemed perfectly safe even at speed on highway but ride was much less compliant as their soft rubber gets much harder when cold. Never tried any aggressive maneuvers with them in those temps. I wouldn’t have expected them to do very well if I had.

I think the wet wet is the main concern with these tires ........

Even at at lower speeds in the wet, Cup 2’s can be a handful, but only if you push them around corners. I remember at Smokies GT last spring on the wet traction handling section of AMP, I could’t Even drive up the moderate incline of the water hill with them in GT3, that is, I couldn’t get to the top of it at all. I suspect in Pilot Sport 4S tires I would have been able to no problem.
Originally Posted by cyclrder
.............Just treat them like motorcycle tires and don’t get on them until you have gotten a little heat in them at least.
Thank you, gentlemen. The treads on them are pretty shallow and sparse. I can understand how water evacuation could be really bad. Probably unsafe at any speed, in wet! Consider myself warned! I usually don't drive the Spyder in rain (S2000 does that role admirably). However, I do drive it if the temp hits 27 (F) and the roads are totally dry and snow/ice-free. Apparently, some of these tires' sidewall will crack near 20 or lower, as the rubber gets harder and loses pliancy. So, I give it a margin of safety. As you (Lapis) pointed out, you are just cruising with super-smooth inputs and no hard acceleration. I have had instances of tires hopping during acceleration and a floaty feeling on the straight! Oh, and that dreaded shudder when backing out with wheels turned! At least, you driving it as late into season and get a jump as soon as temp hits high-20s. Worth it!

Very true about motorcycle tires. Bikes are far more sensitive to temperature, ambient and tires. As one can imagine, consequences of getting it wrong is dire than in a car! Makes me recall one incident of high siding and nearly losing it, in low ambient temp. Luckily, managed to stay on!
Old 12-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

What the Trofeo R tires look like on my Spyder.

Quick Reply: Cup2 tires on 981 Spyder?