Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981CS vs. 718CS

Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Porsche's have never been about low end torque outside the 911 turbo, they're about feel and charisma..........................since the throttle response and lack of lag are also significant draws for those of us who actually drive these cars hard. ............................. For me, that's not what this is all about.
Well stated. Essentially, there is a group of drivers who prefer low/mid range torque. If you fall in that group, then 982 would meet your expectations, with chassis improvements and increased dynamics. Successive generations almost always move the goal posts. Then there is another group whose drivers don't care for low end torque. They live for chasing the redline as conditions permit and enjoy the raising soundtrack as they kiss the rev limiter. And, repeat! You know who you are; and, there is a model for you.

Originally Posted by jsykes
Chris Harris in his 981 review said he would sell a 987 to buy a 981. But in his 718 review, even though faster, he said he'd be looking for a used 981.
Carfection loved the 981 and the reviewer (dont know his name) called it the best car Porsche made at the time. When he tested the 718 he said the 718 was better in almost every way, except when it came to the sound and soul of the car. He also said he'd be looking for a used 981.
Nice compilation. By many measures, except for the steering feel, 981 gen might go down as the best generation of Boxster/Cayman. Outright speed isn't everything. At the same time, we need 982 to succeed in the market.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:09 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, everyone. If anyone lives in CT or near NYC with a 981CS manual and wants to let me take it for a quick spin, I'd gladly provide a nice little bottle of Bordeaux for your troubles : )
Old 12-19-2017, 10:23 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bminingham
Thanks, everyone. If anyone lives in CT or near NYC with a 981CS manual and wants to let me take it for a quick spin, I'd gladly provide a nice little bottle of Bordeaux for your troubles : )
Porsche of Greenwich has a GT4 manual you can try out. https://porscheofgreenwich.com/inven...+Black+1594087

They also have several 781CS manuals on the lot as well. https://porscheofgreenwich.com/inven...e&model=Cayman
Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Wouldn't testing a GT4 be apples and oranges to a 981CS? I just drove the 718CS in ATL at the PDE so I’ve got that fresh in my mind..
Old 12-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
For at least $80K, well equipped $90K plus I wouldn't consider a six cylinder Porsche that had as such poor low end torque as the 981. Each to his own.
My 981S has plenty of low end torque, and I wouldn't trade it for the "sound" of a 718. Consider me a purist, but a four cylinder engine belongs in a 912.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:45 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of you have far more experience than myself. However, I have driven the following: 73' 911T, 85' 944, 98' 986 and 11' Spyder. All of them like to be revving for best throttle response. None liked lugging at low RPM.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:47 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My 981S has plenty of low end torque, and I wouldn't trade it for the "sound" of a 718. Consider me a purist, but a four cylinder engine belongs in a 912.
Mine's a 987.2S, but basically same engine. It is not at all a low-end-torque engine: it's surprisingly peaky for a 6-cyl and really comes alive over 4K. Which would be fine if Porsche didn't insist on super-tall gearing that makes it tougher to keep it in the higher rev ranges. This makes the car feel slower than it is for daily driving.

It's a great car, it would just be more fun around town with a shorter differential that wasn't geared for the autobahn. Haven't driven the 718 yet, but by all accounts the torque characteristics are more suited to the gearing so I'm looking forward to seeing how differently it drives. I'd suggest trying them both and making the call based on the driving characteristics, not just saying "more cylinders good."

Also the styling is pretty sweet: the 987.2 and 981 are no ugly cars, but looking at the 718 makes my pants feel funny.

(Heresy for the day: the 912 was a better car on the street than the 911. Slower, but lighter and better balanced. Burn me at the stake if you must.)
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 718S for the day while my 981 Spyder was in the shop. Sound, soul I know I know, but by criminy that 718 is a quick car. I confess to having had unfaithful thoughts...

Didn’t even hate the noise it made - reminded me of my old BMW 1200GS, whether that’s a good thing or not I don’t know. But it was 2 degrees C out, the thing had P Zeros on and I was flinging it around like crazy. Don’t know if I’d want one long term, but it’s a great little car. Who cares how many cylinders it has? Do people think Ducatis are bad because they have half as many as Hondas?

I would try try to drive both if at all possible.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Also the styling is pretty sweet: the 987.2 and 981 are no ugly cars, but looking at the 718 makes my pants feel funny.
Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. The styling and the turbo lag are the only two factors that are preventing me from warming up to the 718. Not the number of cylinders or the sound.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

All of us will have to eventually make the change from NA to turbo. I already did with the family car, but don't like it on a sports car for the following reasons, in descending order of importance:
-Power delivery not linear. Not even close, as it's basically flat, with max TQ typically at less than 2K and up to 6K. And same with the HP curve from there. I like my throttle like a rheostat, not like a switch, but guess with proper throttle control (which I have from motorcycles) it can be mitigated. But it's not about having to redline the engine every time, but having the power you want relative to gear and engine speed. That's why I like the larger 3.4 engine. With a smaller engine, like the 2.7, you obviously need much more revs to have the same power on the same gear. It has plenty of torque not to need to rev it to the moon, even driven aggressively. I typically don't need to exceed 4.5K rpm, where it already sounds incredible with PSE. I have to say a turbo engine actually makes more sense than a NA one in a family car, or any other vehicle except a sports car, where you expect immediate and linear throttle response.
-Turbo lag. This is being minimized with all the new turbo technologies (variable vane, twin-scroll, etc), along with putting them closer and closer to the exhaust ports. But it's still there, especially on smallish engines, and from lower revs.
-Run hotter than a NA engine. This is pretty obvious, especially when run aggressively, as a smaller engine with the same power as a larger NA is way more stressed, plus turbos get awfully hot as well. Not good in hot climates like mine (TX), where limp mode is a constant reminder of that. This also leads to heat-related issues later in the life of the car, from cracked plastic/rubber parts, to wire damage, etc.
-More maintenance. Turbo engines need more frequent oil changes, period. Whether called or not. My turbo car calls for 5K miles max, which is what I'd do anyway. And it's not a sports car.
-Engine sound. They hardly ever sound like a NA counterpart. In the case of 981 to 718, it's an entirely different engine, and from one of the best sounding ones ever, so a huge detractor. But as 981s get older, it'll be mostly forgotten, especially for those who never owned a NA Porsche F6 with PSE before. They'll never know what they were missing. He he. Engine sound will always be an important part of the sports car experience IMO, but not a deal-breaker one, especially if you like turbo engines.
-Typically not lighter than their larger NA replacements due to heavy turbo hardware. And also not that fuel efficient in real life. In fact, the 718 is significantly lower than my 2016 GTS 22/31.

Bottom line is we'll have to get used to turbo engines whether we like it or not, even in sports cars, so there's no going back, unfortunately. Since I simply don't buy used cars (too picky), a 981 wouldn't be an option for me, but no way I'd ever buy a 718 4-banger, but that's just me. I'd probably buy a TT RS instead. It's a more versatile car, but I probably won't be able to pull the trigger and swap my beloved CGTS for one. The only thing my car does better than a TT RS is handling, but I still value that very much. And also the 'feel', which you just don't get on a car based on a Golf hatchback. You feel special when seated in a Cayman, especially one loaded to the gills like mine, with basically no plastic in sight. It feels luxurious and sporty. Just wish it was quieter, and that it was available with SPASM. Don't regret getting X73 because PASM sucks for me, but SPASM would have most likely solved my wife's suspension stiffness issue. Oh well. Might just buy a Subaru WRX instead. Will drive the MB cars I need to drive over the holidays and decide after that. But most likely I'll keep that gem.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line is we'll have to get used to turbo engines whether we like it or not... No we won't electric, linear, instant neck snapping, hi torque motors will be here sooner than you think. Whether you will be allowed to pilot instead of simply being a passenger is the real issue.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

They won't replace ICE cars in our lifetime man, even if you're still young. And they're still worthless for a trip. Just a fashion statement at the moment, but yes, they'll become more and more mainstream over time.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:39 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

They won't replace ICE cars in our lifetime man, even if you're still young. And they're still worthless on a trip. Just a fashion statement at the moment, but yes, they'll become more and more mainstream over time. Having said that, those cars are far from 'environmentally friendly' as tree huggers might believe. But probably a hair better than ICE over their life expectancy. I still think hydrogen fuel cells are the better technology, but seem stagnant at the moment. We'll see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981CS vs. 718CS