Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to the experts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:55 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question to the experts

So I was mentioning to an aviation mechanic that the Brembo design is such that the pads can be removed through the top of the caliper for pad changes, I would assume at the track. His question to me was how do they push the pistons back into the caliper to accommodate the new pad thickness. Since I've never done this I didn't know. So we head out to youtube and find several butchers putting end wrenches between the rotor and caliper jamming back the pistons. I have to tell you boys (and ladies) it was hard to watch. So I told him I'd check with the board, I said there is no way these guys are jamming metal end wrenches in there and scratching / scoring the pistons. So how do you guys do this?

Edit, I wanted to say to the youtube hacks why not at least use a wood shim? I wouldn't even prefer that but it has to be safer than an end wrench.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:02 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I use a pad spreader. There are a few different designs. you can find them on amazon, tooltopia, other sites.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:18 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

large screw driver between old pad and rotor,there is no need to touch the piston side or if the caliper is of a closed top.......large c-clamp,large channel locks etc
Old 12-17-2017, 03:24 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Ex, those sound like good ideas for the caliper all the way off, you aren't saying you put a flat blade against the rotor and old pad are you? Anyhow if you want to see some cringeworthy work check out youtube. Myself I don't favor the idea of a flat blade against my rotor surface but that's just me.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:27 PM
extanker
Banned

yes.....pry between the old pad and rotor.......cringe if you want....it will not bend the rotor.....this is for a caliper still bolted on with an open to that you can get a pry in there
Old 12-17-2017, 03:31 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

LOL I know it won't bend the rotor but scratching it or gouging it is a strong possibility, everyone in their own way.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:40 PM
extanker
Banned

the blade end pushes against the pad.......the leverage is at the end of the rotor
Old 12-17-2017, 03:48 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

OK copy that, thanks, I don't track mine so it's never going to be an issue, just didn't want to leave the guy with the A&P license without any answers.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:26 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Most of the cars I've had over several decades (none of them Porsches) have pads that extract through the top of the caliper. I've always used a small pry and a block of wood. Never harmed any brake parts.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
LOL I know it won't bend the rotor but scratching it or gouging it is a strong possibility, everyone in their own way.
I use a shamy rag/cloth to cover the end of the tool I am prying with to avoid scratches.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:01 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Changing pads is one of the more rewarding jobs you can do. It is tough to mess it up, goes quickly, and saves you a ton of money. It is nearly impossible to damage a rotor with a screw driver - even if you scratch it slightly, you now have a slotted rotor. The more delicate part of the job is removing the pin and dealing with the sensor.

A screw driver works fine. That said, a spreader works better - much better. I got one of these for my E46 M3 and still use it on my Spyder. https://www.bavauto.com/catalog/prod...saAlufEALw_wcB

It works perfectly - might as well have one.

For the initial spread, you need to use a screw driver to pry open the old pads enough to slide out, but for the replacement, a spreader can't be beat. Don't forget to take out some fluid and open the reservoir before you spread them.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:34 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I just use the old brake pad.
Well, I did before Porsche gave us the cheaper calipers that need to be removed. Who thought that was a good idea?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
large screw driver between old pad and rotor,there is no need to touch the piston side or if the caliper is of a closed top.......large c-clamp,large channel locks etc
Yep. What he said. Not so sure I'd try that with PCCB's but steel rotors? All day long.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I understand what you guys are saying, I wasn't trained that way. If my dad saw you doing that in our repair center he wouldn't let it become habit. We were spinning our belts to avoid scratching, covering seats to protect them from grease and using disposable floor mats in an era when other repair centers thought we were cuckoo. We took pride in our reputation.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I just use the old brake pad.
Well, I did before Porsche gave us the cheaper calipers that need to be removed. Who thought that was a good idea?
This is what I've always done. Use the old pad to gently, evenly, and slowly lever the pistons all the way back in to allow enough room for the new beefy pad to drop right in.

Dave
'05 987S
'92 968 SP3 (uses a set of front pads every 2 events)
'88 944 NA (used pads at an even more alarming rate - tiny brakes on that one)

Quick Reply: Question to the experts