Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to the experts

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove the caliper, use the pad that is going to be discarded and the snap-on dust cap pullers to gently return the pistons into the caliper block, works perfect each time.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is an end wrench? I know open-end wrenches and box-end wrenches and combination wrenches. Never heard of an end wrench.
Unless you've got other problems with that caliper, you can gently pry back a piston with just about anything pointy and softer. Just remember the Shop Hierarchy of Hardness; Carbide/tool steel/steel/aluminium/plastic/you.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if all else fails.....hammer/sledge/torch/call parts department .....in that order
Old 12-18-2017, 11:13 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Box end wrench, open end wrench, I'm old dude that's what we called them as for piston resets to each their own...
Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I understand what you guys are saying, I wasn't trained that way. If my dad saw you doing that in our repair center he wouldn't let it become habit. We were spinning our belts to avoid scratching, covering seats to protect them from grease and using disposable floor mats in an era when other repair centers thought we were cuckoo. We took pride in our reputation.
Then a spreader is for you - buy one for life - use it on just about everything until you have 6 pistons...

But if you do scratch a rotor - you basically just upgraded to a slotted rotor anyway!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitten
What is an end wrench? I know open-end wrenches and box-end wrenches and combination wrenches. Never heard of an end wrench.
Unless you've got other problems with that caliper, you can gently pry back a piston with just about anything pointy and softer. Just remember the Shop Hierarchy of Hardness; Carbide/tool steel/steel/aluminium/plastic/you.
Open end wrenches, box end wrenches and combination (end) wrenches are ALL -end wrenches.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Nevermind

Quick Reply: Question to the experts