Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total instrument failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 PM
AngusP
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total instrument failure

Hi Guys. New to the forum from the North Staffordshire area and my wife has a 987 Boxster 3.2 s. I could do with a little help in diagnosing a problem.

When we returned from holiday we found that the (very) old battery was completely flat. I didn't have access to a fresh battery to open the lid so called the recovery firm out to help get the lid open and check whether there was any saving the battery.

Now, he did get the lid open and jumped the car BUT... The instrument cluster wasn't working at all, no clocks, no digi display, no indicator sounds, no lights, nothing. The vehicles other electrics worked fine including the indicators and lights.

I can't be sure but I thought I saw the recovery guy touch the lid release with the polarity reversed before correcting himself but it was dark and I can't say this happened for certain ( don't know if it would cause any issue either).

The old battery was toast so I sourced a new one, the guy said the clocks could just need time with the battery disconnected to reset themselves however, new battery, no clocks. The car drives fine and all else works bit my wife is relying on her sat nav for speed readings.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind regards,

Aaron
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AngusP
Hi Guys. New to the forum from the North Staffordshire area and my wife has a 987 Boxster 3.2 s. I could do with a little help in diagnosing a problem.

When we returned from holiday we found that the (very) old battery was completely flat. I didn't have access to a fresh battery to open the lid so called the recovery firm out to help get the lid open and check whether there was any saving the battery.

Now, he did get the lid open and jumped the car BUT... The instrument cluster wasn't working at all, no clocks, no digi display, no indicator sounds, no lights, nothing. The vehicles other electrics worked fine including the indicators and lights.

I can't be sure but I thought I saw the recovery guy touch the lid release with the polarity reversed before correcting himself but it was dark and I can't say this happened for certain ( don't know if it would cause any issue either).

The old battery was toast so I sourced a new one, the guy said the clocks could just need time with the battery disconnected to reset themselves however, new battery, no clocks. The car drives fine and all else works bit my wife is relying on her sat nav for speed readings.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind regards,

Aaron
Have you taken a look to see if there are any blown fuses? That would be the first thing I would check.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:15 AM
AngusP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by daylorb
Have you taken a look to see if there are any blown fuses? That would be the first thing I would check.
Hi Daylorb. Thank you for your response. Yes, I have checked, there are no blown fuses (assuming that the fuse box in the foot well is the only location).
Old 12-15-2017, 05:15 AM
s-fury
Track Day

I would also guess that its fuse related. Don't know about a 987, but in my 981 I've got a fuse box beneath the starter keyhole.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 AM
AngusP
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by s-fury
I would also guess that its fuse related. Don't know about a 987, but in my 981 I've got a fuse box beneath the starter keyhole.
I really hope it is this simple.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:58 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I really hope it is this simple.
When this happened on my 987.2, I found the blown fuse... if you don't find one, next step would be to see what fault codes it is sending. You need something like Durametric/etc. to get that done.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:40 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Daylorb. Thank you for your response. Yes, I have checked, there are no blown fuses (assuming that the fuse box in the foot well is the only location).
According to the on-line manual there are fuses in both foot wells, I hope you caught both.

Quick Reply: Total instrument failure