Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Shifter falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 981 Spyder Shifter falling apart

The plastic aluminum looking piece has spontaneously pulled apart from the leather portion. It's hinged at the bottom and barely hanging together. Has this happened to anyone else?
My local dealer is replacing under warranty. Car has only 5k miles.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that specific problem but in general I find the German polymers to be inferior, they're brittle, easily marked and expensive to replace. Porsche should be embarrassed when Ford escape plastic outperforms theirs at a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

Should have posted a picture. Are you talking about the plastic part on the shift lever that has the H 1-6 pattern? If so, it's a minor detail IMO. Did you check it carefully? Probably a broken part, or it never seated properly. It happens. Glad you're getting it replaced under warranty. Hope dealer doesn't scratch or scuff your car after they're done (my main worry). They don't have a good reputation here in El Paso, and they'd be my default servicing dealer if I ever need anything, so please post your results. I could always pay a little extra to take it to Tucson instead (300 vs 270 miles), but hope never have to take it anywhere. Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

No problems here.

Is it the small silver plate/trim piece that says "Spyder" that sits at the base of the stick shift and directly above the sport buttons? (Due to glare the "Spyder" script can't be seen in the pic below)

Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Yes, part with shift pattern loosened from other part. I'm worried about them messing up interior too....always, any car dealer.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

That lower 'Spyder' part is the lid to access the shift-release on PDK cars. It's supposed to pry out in case your brake switch craps out and can't get the shift lever out of park. Hey, did you take a picture of that part, by any chance? Want to see it underneath, to see how it's secured, in case I ever need to remove it. Owner's manual only says to 'pry it out'. But if you pry the wrong way, could dent the plastic, hence my question. Thanks man. Oh, and on the upper part, remove it, inspect the part, and see if grinding the underneath a little would help with the fit some. For perfectionists like me, I have to do that kind of thing all the time. Ha ha. That Spyder part I'd have done the same, instead of taking car to dealer, or just ask them for a replacement, without leaving car there, or anybody touching it. They could always call you when part arrived, and you just swap it right there, and try it on. In fact, I'd much rather pay for the damn thing than leave my car there. I'd pay a lot more than the $10 or so that little plastic must cost, just to avoid leaving my car there. He he. Keep that in mind next time.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Selo, I love your "PCM Display Surround Painted" option in red. Good comparison pics above showing this $1,940 priced option to good effect versus the standard offering. Very nice!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Selo, I love your "PCM Display Surround Painted" option in red. Good comparison pics above showing this $1,940 priced option to good effect versus the standard offering. Very nice!
I see it black. Maybe you meant the center console surround, not the PCM. I like the PCM black better, but either color is fine. However, that cheap silver plastic trim is an abomination IMO, especially on that car. It has to go. Ha ha. I'd get the black brushed aluminum trim like I have on my car from Suncoast; it'd go much better IMO. Not a fan of C/F at all, and don't think Selo has any either.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments on the surround. I really like it too. My car was purchased pre-owned CPO with 17 miles on it, about 6 mo old, from dealer/918 owner.
It's actually leather PCM surround, and I added the red leather console trim from Suncoast for about $300. I'm ok with the silver trim elsewhere, but for some reason it really bugs me on the console. I also would have ordered either brushed or anthracite stainless, especially on a crazy expensive build like this was. Can't see why they skimped on the trim. I looked into changing it out, but it's cost prohibitive because the trim on the doors comes only as a part of the entire door panel. ie entire door panel would have to be replaced. $thousands.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I see it black. Maybe you meant the center console surround, not the PCM.
What I'm looking at is definitely red, but maybe we're looking at two different things?? And maybe I am confusing the red part I'm looking at as being painted when it's actually leather instead.

From the configurator:

versus:

Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Selo
It's actually leather PCM surround, and I added the red leather console trim from Suncoast for about $300.
That explains it! Looks great.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Leather PCM surround.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Thanks Suicide Jockey.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

So Red Leather PCM Surround wasn't an option at the factory was it? After-market Looks amazing! I have the painted PCM, but the Red Leather looks like it should be that way from the get go. I wasn't going to make any mods but this would be one I would do on my silver/red one.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Factory.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Shifter falling apart