Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts? 997.2 PDK to Cayman GTS (or S) manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM
starvational
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question thoughts? 997.2 PDK to Cayman GTS (or S) manual

Hi all, I currently own a 997.2 Carrera 2S with PDK, and as cool as the PDK is (i.e. with the paddles, the stock buttons suck), I'm missing the stick. So I started shopping around and considering all my options (i.e. mostly 991 since I wanted a bit newer). However, the reason I'm in this forum is that I have gotten to really like the Cayman GTS and its extra niceties over the Cayman S..and yeah, I realize they are nearly identical in performance. Anyways, I know similar questions have been asked before, but I figured I'd post and get some fresh feedback anyways.

So...for those that have moved from the 997 platform (or even 991) to the 981 GTS or S, how has it been for you? Any regrets? Also, how has reliability been in comparison?

Thanks!

P.S. this is my daily...I'm not a track rat (plan on 1-2 track days a year at the most..have not tracked my C2S yet)...do want to start autocrossing once the rain goes away in Washington though :-)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 AM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Attached Images  

Last edited by Slim987; 01-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 AM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I went 997.1S manual to a GT4 and absolutely love the 981 handling, feel, and closeness of the cockpit. As for reliability I went from hearing about the IMS to hearing about 3rd gear blowing up....hahah never had any issues with either car, and I don't worry either.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 AM
starvational
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slim987
I see a lot of people moving to the 981 platform and not many moving away from it unless it's to a GT- car.

I'm one of them. I started with a 987.2 then went to 991.1 and realized how much better a mid engine feels. So I went back to a Cayman, this time a 981.

I also started with a search for a manual GTS but I was also adamant about X73. Im sure PASM is fine, but I'm a huge fan of X73 and had to have it. Oh and it had to be white and a CPO.

Finding a white 6MT X73 CPO GTS turned out to be an impossible task, and I ended up acquiring a rare S with pretty much a GTS spec (white, 6MT, X73, Chrono package, sport steering, sport seats, 20" painted wheels, PDLS, Nav etc)... The only thing the 987.2 (and subsequently a 997) would have over the 981 is the hydraulic steering feel. Feeling the pavement vibrations specifically. It was/is not a deal breaker for me. Everything else, and I mean everything is superior in the 981 over 9x7 and 991 in my opinion. I couldn't be happier!

If you are looking for something more specific than a "6MT GTS", i would suggest expanding the search to a well spec'd S.
Beautiful ride you got there..and with all the right options. I love the aesthetics of the Cayman in white. I’m not opposed to a similarly equipped Cayman S in a manual, although I do dig the slightly more aggressive front fascia in the GTS, but not a deal killer..so thanks for that tip (had mostly been looking at GTSes). Regarding the hydraulic vs electric steering, I don’t know if I’ll miss it or not...probably not though. I’m gonna try and test drive a 981 Cayman S locally before pulling the trigger.

Originally Posted by 06C2s
I went 997.1S manual to a GT4 and absolutely love the 981 handling, feel, and closeness of the cockpit. As for reliability I went from hearing about the IMS to hearing about 3rd gear blowing up....hahah never had any issues with either car, and I don't worry either.
GT4 is pure sex...congrats. I hear ya about the IMS issue though...the new scare is PDK blowing up lol
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 130 Posts

I think it's easier finding a GTS manual than an S with PSE, PTV, full leather,and all other GTS standard options. Just make sure you get PTV and X73, or you'd regret it. He he. To me, the S looks super bland, and I didn't want to replace both bumpers, etc, so made GTS a deal-breaker, since I wanted basically all other options. Only difference is I was looking for a brand new one, and found a 2016 right off the truck at 10% discount ($100KI MSRP), so jumped on it. Much easier to find such a GTS than an S with almost double its MSRP, but try both; you never know. No sane dealer ordered such thing, but you're buying used, so definitely possible to find (before the GTS debuted in 2015), but highly unlikely. I ordered my GTS in PDK, since unfortunately, Porsche never updated the manual with a better shifter, and more importantly for me, with a 7th (or taller 6th), for better cruising and range: 74 mph (don't remember if it's 72 or 74, but it's one of the 2) in 6th at 3K rpm is ridiculous. The PDK's 108 also borders on ridiculous, due to the drone with PSE on or off at less revs than that when accelerating, but much preferred than not having the option. By the way, 6th on the PDK is basically identical to the manual, so we always have the option to just downshift a gear. But fuel economy and range is awesome with 7th. I'm looking to replace my car with a manual AWD car now, so will consider a 911, even though I MUCH prefer a 981. But the 911 might be the next best tihng, hence my consideration. But it'd have to have the PD aero kit, since a regular 911 looks like crap from the rear IMO. Was thinking about an MB E43, but will try to drive a 991 C4S or 4GTS and see how it feels. And once there, what the heck, also one of the new ones. I'd never get a turbo as a sports car, but to me, a 911 is a GT car, not an all-out sports car.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 PM
starvational
Instructor

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I think it's easier finding a GTS manual than an S with PSE, PTV, full leather,and all other GTS standard options. Just make sure you get PTV and X73, or you'd regret it. He he. To me, the S looks super bland, and I didn't want to replace both bumpers, etc, so made GTS a deal-breaker, since I wanted basically all other options. Only difference is I was looking for a brand new one, and found a 2016 right off the truck at 10% discount ($100KI MSRP), so jumped on it. Much easier to find such a GTS than an S with almost double its MSRP, but try both; you never know. No sane dealer ordered such thing, but you're buying used, so definitely possible to find (before the GTS debuted in 2015), but highly unlikely. I ordered my GTS in PDK, since unfortunately, Porsche never updated the manual with a better shifter, and more importantly for me, with a 7th (or taller 6th), for better cruising and range: 74 mph (don't remember if it's 72 or 74, but it's one of the 2) in 6th at 3K rpm is ridiculous. The PDK's 108 also borders on ridiculous, due to the drone with PSE on or off at less revs than that when accelerating, but much preferred than not having the option. By the way, 6th on the PDK is basically identical to the manual, so we always have the option to just downshift a gear. But fuel economy and range is awesome with 7th. I'm looking to replace my car with a manual AWD car now, so will consider a 911, even though I MUCH prefer a 981. But the 911 might be the next best tihng, hence my consideration. But it'd have to have the PD aero kit, since a regular 911 looks like crap from the rear IMO. Was thinking about an MB E43, but will try to drive a 991 C4S or 4GTS and see how it feels. And once there, what the heck, also one of the new ones. I'd never get a turbo as a sports car, but to me, a 911 is a GT car, not an all-out sports car.
You're right in that I had better luck finding a GTS with the GTS options than an equivalent Cayman S. Either way, I'm currently in the process of selling my 997 to fund the purchase of a GTS in California. Hopefully it'll sell soon so that I can complete the purchase of the Cayman woot woot! However, It doesn't have X73 (pretty rare option from what I've seen) but it does have PTV, so I think I'll be okay. :-)

You can't go wrong with the 911 either, good luck with your C4S/GTS search.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Slim987
I see a lot of people moving to the 981 platform and not many moving away from it unless it's to a GT- car.

I'm one of them. I started with a 987.2 then went to 991.1 and realized how much better a mid engine feels. So I went back to a Cayman, this time a 981.

I also started with a search for a manual GTS but I was also adamant about X73. Im sure PASM is fine, but I'm a huge fan of X73 and had to have it. Oh and it had to be white and a CPO.

Finding a white 6MT X73 CPO GTS turned out to be an impossible task, and I ended up acquiring a rare S with pretty much a GTS spec (white, 6MT, X73, Chrono package, sport steering, sport seats, 20" painted wheels, PDLS, Nav etc)... The only thing the 987.2 (and subsequently a 997) would have over the 981 is the hydraulic steering feel. Feeling the pavement vibrations specifically. It was/is not a deal breaker for me. Everything else, and I mean everything is superior in the 981 over 9x7 and 991 in my opinion. I couldn't be happier!

If you are looking for something more specific than a "6MT GTS", i would suggest expanding the search to a well spec'd S.
You and I are car twins, although mine has PASM instead of X73 which I thought would be a decent bet for a DD. It's fantastic, although I find myself not driving it much since I moved to a city.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

I went from 911 to Boxster and back to 911. Like others said, beyond objective and subjective performance, there is a difference in feel between mid and rear engine chassis. I sure like the neutral handling of most mid-engine cars, but I like more the way the 911 feels on the road. So, that basic choice is something each owner/driver has to make (or just own both).
Old 12-11-2017, 01:56 AM
Yogi911
Racer

I have a 997 and 981 CGTS. I love the nice new feel of the 981 compared to my 997. Also i like the cockpit feel of my 981 better.

981 gets better gas milage and has more storage up front than my 997. It is also easier to get in and out of parking lots and driveways.

Downsides: ultimately because of the back seat shelf the 997 holds bigger stuff. Like airplane rollie bags. The 981 holds plenty and 2 trunks are nice you just have to use more soft sided bags than 997. Also the seats dont recline as much and of course no back seats.

If i had to chose i would probably keep the 981 but only because it is newer. If i had a 991 and a 981 i would probably keep the 991.

For track and autocross the 981 is a keeper.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 AM
starvational
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yogi911
I have a 997 and 981 CGTS. I love the nice new feel of the 981 compared to my 997. Also i like the cockpit feel of my 981 better.

981 gets better gas milage and has more storage up front than my 997. It is also easier to get in and out of parking lots and driveways.

Downsides: ultimately because of the back seat shelf the 997 holds bigger stuff. Like airplane rollie bags. The 981 holds plenty and 2 trunks are nice you just have to use more soft sided bags than 997. Also the seats dont recline as much and of course no back seats.

If i had to chose i would probably keep the 981 but only because it is newer. If i had a 991 and a 981 i would probably keep the 991.

For track and autocross the 981 is a keeper.
I spy a 997 Turbo In your avatar...you’d still take that over a 981 CGTS? :-)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by starvational
I spy a 997 Turbo In your avatar...you’d still take that over a 981 CGTS? :-)
I think i would take my 981 cayman GTS over my 997.1 6MT turbo.

If i had a 997.2 or newer PDK 911 turbo i would take that over my 981CGTS.

If, like you i had a 997.2 911S in PDK i would take the 981 CGTS over it. If it was a 997.2 GTS i might take that over 981.

I guess to sum it up i would take a 997.2 GTS or "better" 911 over my 981. Anything "lower" in the hierarchy i would take the 981GTS.

Quick Reply: thoughts? 997.2 PDK to Cayman GTS (or S) manual