Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick 981 DME Report Question

Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Quick 981 DME Report Question

Hi all,

Looking at a CPO 2014 Cayman S. One "mature, careful" owner (aren't they all?), 4000 miles.

I'm currently working with the salesman and as part of the discussion I asked for a copy of the DME report. They said I can't have a physical copy, but he could give me the details.
Essentially, he told me that the DME reports <30 hits in Range 1, and none at all in the other ranges.

Do you think this is at all realistic? Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

PDK? If so, it’s certainly realistic.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Last edited by Slim987; 01-10-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea i got my car CPO and got a copy in writing (email) showing no hits in all ranges
Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

It's manual (should have mentioned that - sorry).
OK - so zeros in the other ranges are not unheard of. Good to know.

The dealer was a bit aloof/vague when I asked for some kind of screenshot, but suggested we could Facetime or some other means (dealer is 2hrs away) and I could see it that way.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:13 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enlighten a newbie. What is a DME report? I know what a DME is. I'm curious what this type of report is and would show?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:15 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Basically the DME read out, we as potential buyers are interested in, are the over-rev counts and when they occurred the drive time of the vehicle
Old 12-06-2017, 01:18 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Basically the DME read out, we as potential buyers are interested in, are the over-rev counts and when they occurred the drive time of the vehicle
Ahh yes. The dreaded over-revs. Thank you. Are these data entries non-deletable by an owner?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Biscuits704
One "mature, careful" owner (aren't they all?), 4000 miles. DME reports <30 hits in Range 1, and none at all in the other ranges.
In your case (a rare one indeed), seems true. That car maybe was never redlined (or barely), and for sure never hit the rev limiter (range 2). And the 30 hits means # of ignitions, which equates to about 42 per second at redline, so less than a second there. Crazy. Can't get any better than that. Forgot the exact figures, but even a range 2 (starts right after redline, but after the 7,800 rpm rev limiter) could be perfectly acceptable, but no way to know. Therefore, it's awesome you don't have to guess. Having said that, my dealer said that a level 2 goes so little after the rev limiter than Porsche doesn't consider them an issue when certifying a car. But any level 3 is non-certifiable, so I'd walk.

Originally Posted by VirgilKane
Are these data entries non-deletable by an owner?
Nope; they're permanent.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elp_jc
In your case (a rare one indeed), seems true. That car maybe was never redlined (or barely), and for sure never hit the rev limiter (range 2). And the 30 hits means # of ignitions, which equates to about 42 per second at redline, so less than a second there. Crazy. Can't get any better than that. Forgot the exact figures, but even a range 2 (starts right after redline, but after the 7,800 rpm rev limiter) could be perfectly acceptable, but no way to know. Therefore, it's awesome you don't have to guess. Having said that, my dealer said that a level 2 goes so little after the rev limiter than Porsche doesn't consider them an issue when certifying a car. But any level 3 is non-certifiable, so I'd walk.

Nope; they're permanent.
So what does this tell me/us?

Overspeed Range 1: Number of ignitions 49
Overspeed range 1: Operating hours 324.24

All other ranges are zeros

Last edited by VirgilKane; 12-07-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

So what does this tell me/us?
Sorry again folks. Just figured out how to post an image. The DME report on the car I'm considering is above.

Last edited by VirgilKane; 12-07-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Enlighten a newbie. What is a DME report? I know what a DME is. I'm curious what this type of report is and would show?
VK, as a newbie I say welcome!

I would gently refer you to the search feature. It is your friend. Many of the questions you pose in your threads (i.e., what is a DME report? How do I read one? Where can I find a list of the retail prices? Where is the VIN decoder located? etc., etc.) can be answered with a wee bit of effort on your part. Many here are eager to help, but you would be doing yourself some favors by posing questions that haven't been asked and answered here repeatedly before. Just a friendly suggestion in case you don't know about the search feature. Once you do some initial legwork on your own, if you still have a question, then by all means ask away, but 99% of the time I think you will be able to find the info you are seeking with minimal effort.

Also, check out the posting guidelines here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...e-posting.html

You may want to try the Forums “Search” feature at the top of the page. It’s pretty handy – and you’ll find over 1,000,000 posts that discuss anything from using Peanut Butter to remove wax from rubber – through to finding out why that CEL light keeps coming on. There are so many posts, you should find some relevant threads on subjects that you didn’t even know you were interested in.

Welcome aboard!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
VK, as a newbie I say welcome!

I would gently refer you to you the search feature. It is your friend. Many of the questions you pose in your threads (i.e., what is a DME report? How do I read one? Where can I find a list of the retail prices? Where is the VIN decoder located? etc., etc.) can be answered with a wee bit of effort on your part. Many here are eager to help, but you would be doing yourself some favors by posing questions that haven't been asked and answered here repeatedly before. Just a friendly suggestion in case you don't know about the search feature. Once you do some initial legwork on your own, if you still have a question, then by all means ask away, but 99% of the time I think you will be able to find the info you are seeking with minimal effort.

Also, check out the posting guidelines here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...e-posting.html

You may want to try the Forums “Search” feature at the top of the page. It’s pretty handy – and you’ll find over 1,000,000 posts that discuss anything from using Peanut Butter to remove wax from rubber – through to finding out why that CEL light keeps coming on. There are so many posts, you should find some relevant threads on subjects that you didn’t even know you were interested in.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks. :-)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:32 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll throw in the comment that I never take my engines to redline, ever. And I've got plenty of track time. It's just not how I drive. No reason to assume that there aren't others just like me (although not as handsome).
Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't in the Porsche but when my dad was chief mechanic and there was a spare engine free in the back building I drove my cars like they were actually stolen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick 981 DME Report Question