Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel plastic cracked

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:22 AM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel plastic cracked

Anyone have ideas on how to replace the cracked plastic on my steering wheel? Are those pieces replaceable or do I need a whole new steering wheel? Not sure how all three cracked. Bought it in that condition so not quite sure of the cause.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:40 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Could be heat damage ? If under warranty see if they will replace ....don’t think separate parts are available. Looks like if you can open up you can have carbon bits cut/installed pending how important. Only you see it is my guess(:
Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It almost looks like it froze and thawed, it has that kind of pattern to it. Look at it under magnification. If it looks like a surface scratch, first thing you might try is some scratch X polish gently hand applied in a small amount. It isn't going to get worse and you might get lucky; least invasive approach first.

I agree with Mav, regarding parts you either need replacement or repair. I don't know what the interior of that section of the wheel looks like but there have been a lot of photos on this site so maybe there are some that can be posted. My point being depending on how it's built maybe a speedo shop could bust in there for you and fabricate some replacements. Better yet maybe you can find a damaged unit and take just the needed parts once you confirm the possibility.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:46 AM
chdowns10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
It almost looks like it froze and thawed, it has that kind of pattern to it. Look at it under magnification. If it looks like a surface scratch, first thing you might try is some scratch X polish gently hand applied in a small amount. It isn't going to get worse and you might get lucky; least invasive approach first.

I agree with Mav, regarding parts you either need replacement or repair. I don't know what the interior of that section of the wheel looks like but there have been a lot of photos on this site so maybe there are some that can be posted. My point being depending on how it's built maybe a speedo shop could bust in there for you and fabricate some replacements. Better yet maybe you can find a damaged unit and take just the needed parts once you confirm the possibility.
Tried some scratch x and it didn't help any. Looks like it's cracked through. Fabricating new clear plastic could be an option but I was hoping someone knew of somewhere that had already done it. The screens underneath on the left and right still work though so that's a positive.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The plastic is integrated into the wheel. There are not only scratches in the plastic "inserts" but in the main aluminum look surround as well. I don't think they will buff out. Suncoast is advertising that exact OEM wheel (not heated) for $1095. Personally, I'd replace it, but it's your call. Good luck!! Here's their ad: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991SD.html
Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chdowns10
Anyone have ideas on how to replace the cracked plastic on my steering wheel? Are those pieces replaceable or do I need a whole new steering wheel? Not sure how all three cracked. Bought it in that condition so not quite sure of the cause.
Considering the price of repair or replacement, I'd have a wrap guy cover it with some carbon fiber looking inserts first and see how it looks. Hopefully the crazing won't show through.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Why is that plastic in there in the first place? Why not have shop carefully cut it out - would look better imo.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

The plastic is there because it has text within it indicating the drive mode. It's an awfully expensive repair but I understand the desire to keep it pristine.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:33 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

That steering wheel is scratched to hell and back everywhere in that area. No way any of that is a defect. Only logical explanation is that the stupid previous owner rode with his/her f***ing dog on the lap. Damn. No amount of scratch product will get rid of any of that IMO... and then you have the plastic inserts to deal with. Having said that, Suncoast might offer that plastic trim separately. Try it. Or just look for a used PD wheel from folks who have switched to a Macan wheel or other. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:45 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Mine is kind of jacked up too, been that way from almost the beginning, but not nearly that bad. Mine is not cracked, but looks frosted over. Also, my radio ***** are sticky, I understand $60 or so at SunCoast might solve that.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

+1 on the radio *****, again why can't Germans make a decent polymer? I put some chemical guys vitamin E leather dressing on the radio **** and it came out perfect, like new, live to die another day Mr Radio ****.

PS If that damage is from a dog he has scratching precision I've never seen before, not a mark on the leather or horn pad. It looks a lot more to me like a reaction to a cleaning solvent or weather related failure of just that insert.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:25 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Not oem, but cheaper than an entire steering wheel: https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/.../1149CAY2-0001

Quick Reply: Steering wheel plastic cracked