Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

How do you drive your 987.2 Spyder at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:12 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jammaljc
Great info on the top at speed. I just picked up one of these (still being shipped to me) and was wondering how one would fit a harness bar and what options exist in the market? Are harnesses required by PCA if the top is up? I plan to attend a DE or two at COTA....
Harness bar is not necessary. You wrap the shoulder belts on the factory roll bar. In order to use harnesses, however, you need either GT2 bucket seats or aftermarket race seats. If you get aftermarket race seats, however, you'll lose the thoracic air bag and the air bag light will be lit on the dash (can be programmed out with Durametric Pro or PIWIS I or II though). One of the many reasons why GT2 seats are in such high demand.

I've done literally thousands of miles on the track in Spyders. Mostly with the top off but also with top on.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:20 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

The only harness bar I've seen for 986/987 Boxsters is a generic bar cut to length from SafetyDevices. I got one for my 986 from Stable Energies. I had some difficulty getting the harness/HANS geometry right. Had to lower the seat and add the B-K roll bar extension to get my head/helmet low enough. In that position wrapping the shoulder harness on the factory roll hoop crossmember the harness angled down from the bar to the shoulders which is not recommended by Schroth or HANS. With the harness bar I could get the shoulder belts horizontal.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:18 AM
jammaljc
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for the great info on the harnesses. How do you all mount the lap belts? It does seem like the roll hoops are too high to mount the shoulder belts. If anyone has photos of a harness bar installed, mounting points, etc. that would be great to see and learn more about anyone who makes them. My car has the LWBS, and the shoulder harness pass-thru holes seem to be the right height, so ideally I’d like the shoulder harnesses to be level with those pass-thru’s.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:44 AM
jammaljc
Advanced

Daylorb, Sent you a PM....
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jammaljc
Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for the great info on the harnesses. How do you all mount the lap belts? It does seem like the roll hoops are too high to mount the shoulder belts. If anyone has photos of a harness bar installed, mounting points, etc. that would be great to see and learn more about anyone who makes them. My car has the LWBS, and the shoulder harness pass-thru holes seem to be the right height, so ideally I’d like the shoulder harnesses to be level with those pass-thru’s.
Here is the bolt in bar in my 986. The 987 Boxster has similar dimensions and I have seen the same installation in a standard Boxster but not a Spyder. You mentioned "LWBs" but I assume you have the GT2 style sport bucket seats with the folding back? For the lap belts many drivers get the GT3 specific Schroth Profi 6pt harness. The lap belts have sewn in eyelets that mount to points on the seat and allow you to retain use of the 3 pt belt for the street. Also need a sub belt bar to wrap the sub belts. Brey Krause make one and also Cantrell Motorsports. Suggest consider working with a knowledgeable shop on the install if you are unsure about anything. And if new to DEs just do a couple of events with the factory 3 pt belts before doing any mods. Just my 2c worth. Best of luck
Old 01-01-2018, 01:53 PM
jammaljc
Advanced

Great, thanks for the additional info! I’m a fairly experienced driver (white in PCA) and also do a lot of my own mechanical work. Will look into these options. The lightweight buckets are not that familiar to me, and I don’t have the car yet, so I am not sure what the seats Support in terms of mounting points for the lower harnesses.

Quick Reply: How do you drive your 987.2 Spyder at the track?