Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Used 981 Cayman S, Do I have the right info?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Insurance for the Cayman is about $20/yr more than I was paying for the Scion FRS.

While it called "Auto Insurance", insurance companies primarily insure drivers
Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
While it called "Auto Insurance", insurance companies primarily insure drivers
Not true. It's both, but the car part is much more convoluted. First, to debunk your logic, quote a Ferrari and a Camry, and if both cost the same, let me know the name of your insurance company. But aside from that obvious difference, it's just crazy how insurance companies rate cars sometimes. Many consider a 2-door a sports car, meaning you could pay more for a freaking GTI with 200HP than a 500+ M5 sedan. And they always charge way more for a 2-door than a 4 of the same model. The assumption? The 2-door drivers are more reckless. And THAT is where your driving record should count, not automatically tacking a premium on a 2-door car. Similarly, some cars are rated way higher than others by virtue of their accident/claim rate, regardless of driver's record (mine is perfect). That's why nowadays you have to check insurance rates before buying a car, to make sure it's not out of whack. My ex 2015 GTR was cheaper than a 2015 Lexus RC-F I replaced it with, even though it was much more expensive and faster/quicker. Go figure. Then my current 2016 CGTS came between the 2, so pretty much where it should be IMO.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:39 AM
981S GT
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviving an old thread. I took a look at it yestarday and ran a car fax. The car is in overal good shape, with three exceptions. 1 - Chip in glass, can probably be fixed to the point you couldn't notice it. 2 - Dent in Passenger front fender, can probably be popped out.3 - Its a total loss vehicle with a clear title? Looks like someone hit a telephone pole and it deployed the side airbag. It has been repaired and actually looks pretty good, The one thing I noticed is it looks like the gap between the fender and door is just a mm or two too wide.

Carfax says its a total loss but the current "owner" says he has a clean and clear title for it thought?

He came down significantly in price essentially $33,000 out the door. But I wonder what resale for a "totaled" 981s is?

Any suggestions anyone? FYI Still no PPI

PS: He just had the brakes done.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Imho, price now seems pretty high for what you're buying. If that still doesn't sway you. Suggest you get a PPI, there are things he probably can't see is going on with the car.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 981S GT:
But I wonder what resale for a "totaled" 981s is?
There is an outfit here in San Diego that specializes in rebuilding wrecks and selling them with CA salvage titles. They have a 2013 Boxster S with 36K miles for $30K asking price right now. Last week, they had a 2015 Cayman S with 11.5K miles (and salvage title) that looked well-repaired from the pictures and it sold quickly. They were asking $34K for it, but I don't know what it sold for. Their website is here if you want to call them and ask, or compare some of the other prices for rebuilt Porsches. https://www.convoymotors.com/inventory.aspx?mk=Porsche

There is a 2003 911 GT2 there with 28K miles, for instance, selling for $85K, and a 2012 Carrera S with 40K miles for $65K. The salvage title has got to be a minimum $10-15K discount, depending on the extent of the damage that "totaled" them and the quality of the repairs, I would say. Some cars that have been stolen and later recovered after the insurance payout are branded with salvage titles even with no damage.HTH,TT
Old 12-16-2017, 01:53 AM
981S GT
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
There is an outfit here in San Diego that specializes in rebuilding wrecks and selling them with CA salvage titles. They have a 2013 Boxster S with 36K miles for $30K asking price right now. Last week, they had a 2015 Cayman S with 11.5K miles (and salvage title) that looked well-repaired from the pictures and it sold quickly. They were asking $34K for it, but I don't know what it sold for. Their website is here if you want to call them and ask, or compare some of the other prices for rebuilt Porsches. https://www.convoymotors.com/inventory.aspx?mk=Porsche

There is a 2003 911 GT2 there with 28K miles, for instance, selling for $85K, and a 2012 Carrera S with 40K miles for $65K. The salvage title has got to be a minimum $10-15K discount, depending on the extent of the damage that "totaled" them and the quality of the repairs, I would say. Some cars that have been stolen and later recovered after the insurance payout are branded with salvage titles even with no damage.HTH,TT
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Perfect! thanks, Ill be keeping an eye on their inventory. You never know maybe Ill fly out to pick something up and drive back!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:12 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 981S GT
Reviving an old thread. I took a look at it yestarday and ran a car fax. The car is in overal good shape, with three exceptions. 1 - Chip in glass, can probably be fixed to the point you couldn't notice it. 2 - Dent in Passenger front fender, can probably be popped out.3 - Its a total loss vehicle with a clear title? Looks like someone hit a telephone pole and it deployed the side airbag. It has been repaired and actually looks pretty good, The one thing I noticed is it looks like the gap between the fender and door is just a mm or two too wide.

Carfax says its a total loss but the current "owner" says he has a clean and clear title for it thought?

He came down significantly in price essentially $33,000 out the door. But I wonder what resale for a "totaled" 981s is?

Any suggestions anyone? FYI Still no PPI

PS: He just had the brakes done.
I'd certainly be worried about resale - but get a good PPI if you are at all interested. Seems like a great deal, but total loss vehicle on carfax = hard to sell.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daylorb
I'd certainly be worried about resale - but get a good PPI if you are at all interested. Seems like a great deal, but total loss vehicle on carfax = hard to sell.
For sure. If you plan to keep it for a few millennia, and you are confident of its quality, go for it. But don't EVER expect to get anything out of it. Any $$ you can sell it for should be considered a coup. In fact, the IRS may consider any income on the sale of a "total loss vehicle" to be taxable...
Old 12-29-2017, 01:03 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Dont know about other states, but in my state of North carolina one simply cannot insure a rebuilt Title car. That means your "good" deal of a $35,000 Cayman will always be driven uninsured and any incidents/accidents will have to be paid out of pocket

something to consider.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:55 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Dont know about other states, but in my state of North carolina one simply cannot insure a rebuilt Title car. That means your "good" deal of a $35,000 Cayman will always be driven uninsured and any incidents/accidents will have to be paid out of pocket

something to consider.
"
You will need to repair the car into good working condition, and the state will need to deem it safe for driving. At that point, you can actually get something called the rebuilt certificate of title. The car will still be listed as salvage, but the rebuilt certificate means you can get insurance and legally drive the vehicle.

To do this, you will need to provide the following when visiting your local DMV in North Carolina:"

It goes on to list the necessary documents.

https://www.autoauctionmall.com/lear...orth-carolina/
Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM
elvn
Advanced

Originally Posted by 981S GT
Reviving an old thread. I took a look at it yestarday and ran a car fax. The car is in overal good shape, with three exceptions. 1 - Chip in glass, can probably be fixed to the point you couldn't notice it. 2 - Dent in Passenger front fender, can probably be popped out.3 - Its a total loss vehicle with a clear title? Looks like someone hit a telephone pole and it deployed the side airbag. It has been repaired and actually looks pretty good...
Totaled? Frame damage likely. Run away.

Last edited by elvn; 01-01-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Shorten quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another great example of why you shouldn't get insurance advice on the Internet.

You can get liability insurance for a salvage title car, but not comprehensive, in NC.

And remember folks, insurance laws vary between states. Never trust what you read on the Internet, contact your agent and if at all possible, get his/her response in writing should questions arise later.

Quick Reply: Buying a Used 981 Cayman S, Do I have the right info?