Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 power steering pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 987.1 power steering pump issues?

I recently purchased an ‘07 Cayman S to use mostly on the track though I will drive it on the street too. I really like it. I’m still keeping my 991.1 C4s Cab but don’t want to abuse it at the track so much anymore. Anyway, I “hear” the weak link for this car is the power steering pump overheating on the track. I’ve done a search here, 6speed, and Planet9 and found minimal advice. And no one says where to buy a PSP cooler! Rennline nor Pelican Parts sell one. Rennline has the pulley/belt option. If I don't put slicks (going to drive it to/from track events) will this suffice? Also plan to replace the fluid before track season next spring. Any and all advice appreciated. TIA.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

There's a couple of issues. The reservoir is small and difficult to check. Most people don't. It can also crack and lose fluid. Hard track driving will overheat the fluid and this usually results of the P/S hose failure at the LF. There are after market inline coolers available but most people use a custom system incorporating a radiator. I had one installed by Bodymotion.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
There's a couple of issues. The reservoir is small and difficult to check. Most people don't. It can also crack and lose fluid. Hard track driving will overheat the fluid and this usually results of the P/S hose failure at the LF. There are after market inline coolers available but most people use a custom system incorporating a radiator. I had one installed by Bodymotion.
Thanks Bill. Not familiar w Bodymotion. And can’t tell from your avatar where you are from. I’ve called or checked about every online website and nada except Rennline has a pulley mod that “helps”. I’d like to install the 3rd radiator and would love to “incorparate” a PSP cooler too. My 2005 Acura MDX required a trans cooler and a psp cooler to tow. Both were factory upgrade parts. Suncoast claims they haven’t even heard there was a problem! Crazy.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan to use your 987.1 cayman for serious track duty then you really need to get hooked up with a good race shop. There are several issues affecting reliability in that car that need to be addressed.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:54 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
If you plan to use your 987.1 cayman for serious track duty then you really need to get hooked up with a good race shop. There are several issues affecting reliability in that car that need to be addressed.
This. Start with the reliability modifications allowed in the spec cayman series.

B. Cooling System. With the exception of the addition of a Tiptronic third radiator kit or a similarly vented and located third radiator, the cooling system must remain stock. Radiator fans may be direct wired with a switch, and one of them may be removed.
C. Oiling System. The factory oil and oil cooling system must remain stock, except an external oil cooler, an X‐51 oil plate, an aftermarket sump extension or sump pan, a Porsche Motorsport oil/air separator, and an oil accumulator (e.g., Accusump) may be added.
D. Power Steering Cooling. Power steering fluid cooling is free, and a larger cooler is highly recommended.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:05 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the replies. Unfortunately I’m no closer to a fix than when I started. My local Indy/race shop says to put an electric pump similar to the Cup car. It takes up about 50% of the frunk! And costs nearly $2k. Surely there is a better way. A radiator style cooler is what I’m looking for. And maybe the pulley upgrade from Rennline.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

When we picked up our '06 CS in January I asked the questions here and over at the Cayman Registry and decided to do the following before tracking the car.

Motorsport AOS
Deep Sump Oil Pan
Power Steering Cooler
Underdrive Pulley
Motorsport Thermostat

Also added the GT3 Brake ducts, K&N Air Filter, and braided brake lines.

Ordered the Power Steering Cooler kit from Tune RS in Coral Springs, Florida

http://www.tunersmotorsports.com/trs...ng-oil-cooler/

Had the Cayman at Sebring for the first time this past weekend. Ran great all 4 sessions in the White group on Friday. Was tired so decided to skip my last session and pack up and go to the hotel. As soon as I left for the hotel car started shuddering when first pulling away, had no idea what the problem was, made it to the back of the pits where several mechanics where located. Clutch pedal to the floor and would not engage. Clutch shat the bed and had to flatbed home.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsabatini
When we picked up our '06 CS in January I asked the questions here and over at the Cayman Registry and decided to do the following before tracking the car.

Motorsport AOS
Deep Sump Oil Pan
Power Steering Cooler
Underdrive Pulley
Motorsport Thermostat

Also added the GT3 Brake ducts, K&N Air Filter, and braided brake lines.

Ordered the Power Steering Cooler kit from Tune RS in Coral Springs, Florida

http://www.tunersmotorsports.com/trs...ng-oil-cooler/

Had the Cayman at Sebring for the first time this past weekend. Ran great all 4 sessions in the White group on Friday. Was tired so decided to skip my last session and pack up and go to the hotel. As soon as I left for the hotel car started shuddering when first pulling away, had no idea what the problem was, made it to the back of the pits where several mechanics where located. Clutch pedal to the floor and would not engage. Clutch shat the bed and had to flatbed home.
Thanks John. I found Tune RS last night doing a search. I talked to my Indy mechanic today about it (& the pulley) and he claims it won’t help as I’m an instructor and run in the top group. And he says they leak! Any issues? What experience level are you? What tires? Your car looks great. Sorry about the clutch failure. How many miles on it? Cheers, Rob

oops, first time (this year) to Sebring? White group is? Thx
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RG,

The TuneRS cooler will work well, especially coupled with the underdrive pulley. You will be fine. Who is your wrench that thinks the only solution is an electric conversion?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Thanks John. I found Tune RS last night doing a search. I talked to my Indy mechanic today about it (& the pulley) and he claims it won’t help as I’m an instructor and run in the top group. And he says they leak! Any issues? What experience level are you? What tires? Your car looks great. Sorry about the clutch failure. How many miles on it? Cheers, Rob

It was my first time on the track in the Cayman S but I have over 100 days on track and have been instructing since 2000. Other than the track prep mods the car is stock running on 19" rims with Pilot Super Sports.

In hindsight, possibly a good thing for the clutch problems because as we were loading the car on the flatbed I noticed a lot less tread left on my Pilot Super Sports in the rear compared to the front. Just measured and I have just under 3 mm rear and 7 mm front. Not sure what they were before but they were not that much different. Another day or 2 on the track and I could have been another one of several cars which blew rear tires and caused significant body damage or worse.

Now I need to fix the clutch and then find some 18" rims that I can use for track/street rubber and keep the pretty 19" rims with the Pilots for street use.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by altonj
RG,

The TuneRS cooler will work well, especially coupled with the underdrive pulley. You will be fine. Who is your wrench that thinks the only solution is an electric conversion?
Sounds like his wrench is trying to sell him a $2K solution over a much cheaper solution. Again, based on my research the #1 track prep mod would be the deeper oil sump, followed by the PS cooler, underdrive pulley, and the Motorsport AOS. My best source was the PCA Cayman Register https://caymanregister.org/index.php for all thing Cayman including articles on how to prep your Cayman for track duty.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

I looked at the Tuner unit. It is similar to my Bodymotion unit and cheaper. It absolutely will work regardless of run group. I am a Red group instructor and former SCCA racer who drives hard. Once I added the cooler to my Cayman P/S problems were over.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:56 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I looked at the Tuner unit. It is similar to my Bodymotion unit and cheaper. It absolutely will work regardless of run group. I am a Red group instructor and former SCCA racer who drives hard. Once I added the cooler to my Cayman P/S problems were over.
Bill, just out of curiosity, what happened to the power steering without the cooler?
Old 11-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

I first noticed a noise, after doing a DE @ Watkins Glen, similar to doing a hard turn with wheel at full lock. Next I noticed a puddle of P/S fluid near the LF wheel. The car was still under warranty and dealer replaced the hose. There was another issue after the repair and the reservoir got replaced.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have ordered and received the Tuner RS psp cooler and their undercrank pulley system. Also installing a Porsche 3rd (center) radiator, a FVD x-51 style (baffled) deep oil sump pan & magnetic drain plug. Lastly I ordered a GT3 brake master cylinder and am considering a GT LSD or Wavetech TBD. This last item is going to wait until I drive the car on track and see if I even like it. Any thoughts on this? Again, I drive the car a lot on the street and it will see 6-8 HPDE if all goes well. Brakes and a new clutch will also be added.. TIA.

Quick Reply: 987.1 power steering pump issues?