Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Would trade your 981 Spyder for 718 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
When you tune the car can't you tune this out? Wasn't your car tuned?
My car was, and you couldn’t tune it out. It’s in a art of engine ecu which a tune doesn’t touch. It just got way louder, decelerating in the city was like gunfire, totally absurd, not in a good way. kept really low Revs and PSE off anywhere near people.

Loud gt3 goes past, no farts, just nice smooth deceleration sound.. spyder and Gt4 backfiring animals. Why?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Interestingly, I think it's worse on some cars. My initial 981 Spyder backfired ridiculously and I was constantly turning off the PSE coming down out of the mountains, but then I noticed that it had a weird buzz on decel with PSE off. Sold that car and bought another 9 months later. This one still crackles, but not as badly and there is no hum when I shut the PSE off.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:22 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I love the farts and crackles. Puts a smile on my face the same way when I fart around my kids. We all have a laugh! Dilly, dilly.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently can’t imagine enjoying a car more than this...

Old 12-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice weather. We have snow in london. Where's that?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The current Spyder is an excellent porsche. But the engine was sandbagged by the factory.
It could use a proper size throttle body and a tune at a minimum. When warranty is out, it wants the X51 package, but there is a cost associated with that.

If the next Spyder actually has the "detuned" engine from the GT3, then it will have the power it has been missing.
It would need 450hp however to make me trade up. Otherwise, I would just X51 the current Spyder.
Porsche need talk me out of doing a X51 upgrade in the current Spyder. Hopefully they can for their sake.

The bodies are the same underside, so the engineering is the same. So it wont be night and day different.
And most everyday people wont beable to tell the difference betwen the two cars.

It all comes down to what Porsche gives us for an engine this time around.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The current Spyder is an excellent porsche. But the engine was sandbagged by the factory.
It could use a proper size throttle body and a tune at a minimum. When warranty is out, it wants the X51 package, but there is a cost associated with that.

If the next Spyder actually has the "detuned" engine from the GT3, then it will have the power it has been missing.
It would need 450hp however to make me trade up. Otherwise, I would just X51 the current Spyder.
Porsche need talk me out of doing a X51 upgrade in the current Spyder. Hopefully they can for their sake.

The bodies are the same underside, so the engineering is the same. So it wont be night and day different.
And most everyday people wont beable to tell the difference betwen the two cars.

I agree with your post with one exception. On the street do you still feel the car needs that much more power? I think the GT4 could really benefit from the 4.0 GT engine and in that instance I think it is an easy decision to trade up. But the Spyder really isn’t meant for track use and other than a stoplight drag race where else does the Spyder really need the power?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:29 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gravs
Nice weather. We have snow in london. Where's that?
Sussex on Friday!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

X51 is tempting down the line for sure. Do you know what the approximate cost of it is? Car feels just right for me as is at the moment I have to say.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Beautiful shots, Rat!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I agree with your post with one exception. On the street do you still feel the car needs that much more power? I think the GT4 could really benefit from the 4.0 GT engine and in that instance I think it is an easy decision to trade up. But the Spyder really isn’t meant for track use and other than a stoplight drag race where else does the Spyder really need the power?

It is indeed plently fast as it is.
I would like to see added torque which makes it that more friendly around town when at low RPM in 3rd and 4th.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would like to see added torque which makes it that more friendly around town when at low RPM in 3rd and 4th.
This is something I also agree with, the 987 could also use a bit more torque down low. I’ve learned to keep it in a lower gear which ends up consuming more gas but also makes throttle response snappy! I think a throttle body, exhaust and tuning would fix these issues. Porsches way of intentionally hindering the Boxster and Cayman to keep the pecking order.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:30 PM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagicRat

Oh how I miss my old baby! It was twice the fun of the GT3 RS that came after it... I’m really happy you are enjoying it Magic

​​​​​​​

Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually prefer the fact you have to rev it a bit to get the most out of it. The antithesis of a turbo if you will.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LitRbl
Oh how I miss my old baby! It was twice the fun of the GT3 RS that came after it... I’m really happy you are enjoying it Magic
I agree. I had a 997.2 GT3RS and for the street the Spyder is more fun and even sounds better.

Quick Reply: Would trade your 981 Spyder for 718 Spyder?