Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Engine Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:32 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

I think NA is going to stick around longer than we think... at least for GT and special editions like the “911R”. Everything else will evolve and change, turbos first which we just witnessed, then hybrid and electric. If they keep NA low volume and if the mass volume meets or exceeds regulations, that will allow the NA to survive longer. Prices will go up though quite a bit... you will have to pay to play.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
I think NA is going to stick around longer than we think... at least for GT and special editions like the “911R”. Everything else will evolve and change, turbos first which we just witnessed, then hybrid and electric. If they keep NA low volume and if the mass volume meets or exceeds regulations, that will allow the NA to survive longer. Prices will go up though quite a bit... you will have to pay to play.
Yes, so are we all agreeing that the Spyder will make the cut as "special" and get radical engine considerations or not? Is the Spyder, quoting my cousin here, "just-a-Boxster?" I cringe when I here those words.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:29 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Yes, so are we all agreeing that the Spyder will make the cut as "special" and get radical engine considerations or not? Is the Spyder, quoting my cousin here, "just-a-Boxster?" I cringe when I here those words.
IMHO, yes!
Every indication points in that direction.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
got the same from a Porsche Executive last month, and he smiled.
Exclusive photo from the event, never before published:

A Rennlist exclusive!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
With rumors of the 992 getting a bigger than normal HP bump and the already extra torque of a turbo engine, NA will not be able to keep up and also meet emissions. Would GT owners be ok with NA if it is slower (track times) than the non-GT Porsches?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
With rumors of the 992 getting a bigger than normal HP bump and the already extra torque of a turbo engine, NA will not be able to keep up and also meet emissions. Would GT owners be ok with NA if it is slower (track times) than the non-GT Porsches?
Ahrgggh.... How long does this HP jump go on for? Maybe the intro of the e-cars IS the best thing for the industry. Seriously folks... I jumped in my Gen-1 Spyder today and it threw me back in the seats. Like many things in life, BIG is over rated. As I've said before quoting Maria Muldar "It aint't the meat, it's the motion".

This being said a couple of us are off next week to test the latest Porsche offerings at the Porsche Experience Center in LA. I have my fingers crossed that something will "wow" me above what I already have.

P.s. Sorry if I'm a buzz kill but seriously, how far does this go?
Old 12-03-2017, 10:06 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sorry if I'm a buzz kill but seriously, how far does this go?
As far as it can.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
As far as it can.
Nice...
Old 12-04-2017, 12:37 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

This being said a couple of us are off next week to test the latest Porsche offerings at the Porsche Experience Center in LA. I have my fingers crossed that something will "wow" me above what I already have.
The Los Angeles Auto Show officially opened Friday and each year PCA always has an early morning breakfast shindig in the Porsche display area where members get to hear various Porsche folks talk about new models appearing at the show that year (i.e., GT2RS and new Cayenne this year). Around 9:00 a.m. after the PCA breakfast event, attendees are free to go walk around and take in the entire show. I met up with several 987/981 Spyder owners at the PCA breakfast and we repeatedly crossed paths thereafter throughout the morning as we wandered through the exhibition halls and visited other manufacturers' stands. I kept asking, "See anything that really grabs ya?" "Nope," was the universal reply from all.

On the drive back to Orange County from the show I told my daughter there was nothing I saw within $100K (GT3 Touring excluded) that would make me seriously consider giving up the Spyder. That's a pretty nice feeling after almost two years of ownership and I suspect each and every Spyder owner at the show on Friday was of like mind. I hope something does "wow" you at the PEC, and I look forward to meeting up with you there, but I wouldn't be surprised if you come away feeling like I, and other Spyder owners, did after taking in the LA Auto Show.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

HP war has gotten out of control! Combined with tall gearing, gobs of low-end torque (in other words, non-NA power delivery characteristics), and some forced electronic aides, cars aren't fun any more on the streets. You could barely use even fraction of that power. With tightening regulations, the window for enthusiasts-friendly cars is closing rapidly, if not already closed!
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
HP war has gotten out of control! Combined with tall gearing, gobs of low-end torque (in other words, non-NA power delivery characteristics), and some forced electronic aides, cars aren't fun any more on the streets. You could barely use even fraction of that power. With tightening regulations, the window for enthusiasts-friendly cars is closing rapidly, if not already closed!
spot on with the HP wars because there is know where to go as drivability gets compromised. Very reason I kept my Spyder vs the RS which was hard to give up, but it needs a lot of track time. My personally I have said this before I have no reason to need more HP in the Spyder.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry if I'm a buzz kill but seriously, how far does this go?
Also hope to be the end of it very soon. It's getting ridiculous. I've owned much faster cars than the 981 GTS, but even the GTS is too much for the steets. And perfectly enough for the track. What people want: a 5,000HP car? With the world push to minimize emissions, and increasing number of electric vehicles, that stupid war has to be coming to an end. Manufacturers could always reduce weight, instead of keep increasing power only. We'll see.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:23 PM
topwater
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m increasingly inclined to drive the wheels off my MT 981 Boxster S, my DD, which would be my perfect car if there were no Spyder, wait for the release of the 718, then hope for a price dip and try to snag a used 981 Spyder. What could go wrong?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^^ Well, if you wait until the release of the 982 Spyder to get a 981 Spyder hoping for a 981 price dip, there a few things that could dash those hopes. If the new Spyder is priced as high as many think it will be, particularly if it turns out to be a GT car, then there may be no dip in 981 prices at all with people viewing the 981 as a relative bargain where it is currently priced compared to the 982.

If the new Spyder is turbo (God willing!) then expect 981 prices to spike - not dip.

If the 982 Spyder disappoints in some fashion -- either stylistically (verdict still out), performance-wise (highly unlikely IMO), or in some other fashion -- or for whatever reason isn't embraced by the automotive press, then 981 prices will likely remain firm.

Remember that there is a high level of satisfaction amongst current 981 owners such that those jumping ship to the 982 Spyder may not be as high as is often the case when a new model arrives. Thus, the supply of 981's at the time of the 982's release may not be vastly different than it is today - that is to say fairly scarce - and with limited supply comes fairly good price support.

Of course, if the 982 is heralded as the second coming and embraced as a quantum leap over the 981 in all categories -- and, most importantly, is priced "reasonably" -- then I would expect a dip in 981 prices, but not a big dip.

This is obviously all crystal ball guesswork at this point. The merits of pulling the trigger on a 981 Spyder now versus waiting for the 982's final specs and pricing to be announced can be debated, but you're astute to be looking at getting a 981 and I hope it works out for you.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

There was a similar discussion with 987.2 Spyder prices and the prices held steady through the entire production run of the 981.

To put things in perspective, not many Spyders were produced and they are incredible cars to drive and look at. They don’t have any real faults other than the top being inconvenient which essentially insures their prices remain stable.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Engine Crazy