Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get my first Porsche, a 987.1 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:37 AM
AiKenPJR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get my first Porsche, a 987.1 Cayman S

Hi all! The time's come for me to unload my 'Vette and step out of my comfort zone. I desperately want a modern performance car and can't think of anything better than the Cayman. Currently, I own a '77 Corvette that I've had for 15 years. Restored it myself, including engine, interior, and paint. It's a nice car but man were those some slow years for cars. I could get a newer Vette but they have such cheap interiors. I'm not so much looking for all out power, as I am look for well-rounded athleticism, so the 100 hp difference between a 987 CS and a C6 Vette.

​​​​​I've read a little bit about what to look for but was hoping to get more information of issues, like is the I'M still an issue worth worrying about - easy to upgrade? Should I stay away from 100K mile cars? I plan to drive it about 5k a year and will likely not track it until I've done some of the other mods to oil delivery and master cylinder, etc. I want to stay in the low 20's for price. Must have a 6-speed manual, and would prefer fewer options. I do like the PASM and the chrono, though. Other things that intrigue me are the DS1 and the Sport edition because of their potential for more collectibility. It will likely be a long-term car, with it only being upgraded for a 997 Turbo at some point in the distant future (I'm 34, so I've got time to wait out a little more depreciation). I'm sure this question has been posed before, so please point to those threads, as well! Also, let me know of any deals. I'm not scared to work on these either, even if it is a far cry from my classic American stuff.

for starters, does this have potential:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Porsche-Cayman-S-Sport/182905679315?hash=item2a96072dd3:g:0~UAAOSwNWxaDhuj&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Looking to get my first Porsche, a 987.1 Cayman S