Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Overfilled on 2008 Porsche Boxster base

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:16 PM
jblum
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Overfilled on 2008 Porsche Boxster base

Hello, I changed the oil for my 2008 Porsche Boxster base, and 6 quarts drained out, I added the filter and 9 quarts and the oil gauge is highlighted all the way to the top without a black space at the top. So, from the below picture, the black segment at the top on my Boxster is filled in in white all the way to the top. Does this mean I overfilled the oil? I checked the owners manual and google searched and cannot determine from the gauge description if I overfilled!! Help Boxster friend!!! Thanks

Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you only drained 6 quarts (questionable unless you put the plug back in well before it was finished draining) and added 9, it's seems pretty likely that you overfilled unless it was waaay low to start out with.

Further, yes - the line at the point of the "up arrow" is the Maximum mark.

It will be a royal pain but I would suggest draining 1/2 quart at a time until the block above the top arrow is empty.

Not sure if it will work with the Porsche fill setup, but there are suction pump systems that may make this task a little less unpleasant.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr...41120011&ajr=0
Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 PM
jblum
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Oil - My Porsche

Really do appreciate the advice. You were correct, emptied out the oil, refill 8 quarts, then added a little bit until filled correctly. Thanks John
Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

For future reference, an easier way to remove a little bit of oil is to take the oil filter canister off and dump the oil within. If you need to remove more, let the oil circulate (engine on) then repeat the process.

Quick Reply: Oil Overfilled on 2008 Porsche Boxster base