Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Anyone own a PDK Spyder 987?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a 2012 in PDK and love every single shift with it. Had a manual RS60 before this and have had several manuals over the past 30 years.

I prefer the PDK, particularly on a track, but you'll get different answers from everyone.

I think the manual is a "cooler" car to have, and certainly a more "pure," car in a sense, however this is so much technology in these cars that it is a little hard for me to get my head around that.

I specifically got PDK after driving a number of true paddle shift cars at tracks while I owned my RS60. The ease, speed, and ability it gave you to focus on your line and not your gearbox were just too enticing.

A must is the upgraded wheel though - the standard thumb buttons are awful IMHO.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
A must is the upgraded wheel though - the standard thumb buttons are awful IMHO.
Great point - I forgot the paddle wheel was an option.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Great point - I forgot the paddle wheel was an option.
Yes, it is about $1k to buy one. Probably the easiest and most gratifying upgrade you'll ever do. Simple to do on your own!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by itsujack
I have one, and I absolutely love it! Perfect companion to our manual 964.
Got the 987 Spyder PDK after having sold my 964 manual . Next week, the P dealer will install the sport/sport + stuff.
Honestly I'd have preferred a manual Spyder but they were simply too expensive.
Said that, I am now really happy of the PDK choice. From what I read I'll be even happier when in "sport" mode.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:16 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ale, it shifts with the precision of a rifle bolt and lightning fast in sport plus. I agree with the others about the wheel. I was very fortunate, the car I own was ordered exactly as I would have ordered one including the full leather sport wheel with paddles.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts

Ill start off by saying that I have had and currently own other paddle shift cars and have enjoyed them. For some reason I found this PDK somewhat boring. It was a weekend/sunny day car only and most of the time it was left in auto mode. I felt the same way about the 11 Turbo S that I had, it dulled the experience. I love the manual in my 16 Spyder and feel that it fits the car much better.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably does Pete and like most of this board I was a MT only guy. I can't shift with enough frequency anymore on an ongoing basis. PDK was the only reason I bought my final Porsche. If all that modern technology had to offer was tiptronic I would have no sports car. I drove a 911 PDK and was pleasantly surprised to discover that a PDK was far better than any other option to not being able to shift at all. I never have it in auto.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Ale, it shifts with the precision of a rifle bolt and lightning fast in sport plus. I agree with the others about the wheel. I was very fortunate, the car I own was ordered exactly as I would have ordered one including the full leather sport wheel with paddles.
Really looking forward to have it installed and try it during the Xmas break. Winter tires are on, vacation time as well... Let's see
In mine there were only three things missing for my taste:
  1. Sport/Sport +
  2. Cruise control
  3. Proper exhaust
1 and 2 should be in within 2017. ANd within spring 2018 we will solve point 3 as well (either with Capristo, if I can get all papers, or with the more civilized PSE)
Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Delmartian
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m late to this thread but am fortunate to have recently joined the 987 Spyder club. I looked for a while and considered both MT and PDK. After having an honest conversation with myself about how I was going to drive the car, I found one with PDK/SC/PSE. It's such a special vehicle...and I've thoroughly enjoyed every mile with it so far. I agree with Zeus that in “normal” mode, the car can feel somewhat unresponsive. But around town, “normal” mode is useful/practical for me. When I want to engage in more spirited driving, I simply press the “Sport” (or “Sport Plus”) button…and it totally transforms the car.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Delmartian
I’m late to this thread but am fortunate to have recently joined the 987 Spyder club. I looked for a while and considered both MT and PDK. After having an honest conversation with myself about how I was going to drive the car, I found one with PDK/SC/PSE. It's such a special vehicle...and I've thoroughly enjoyed every mile with it so far. I agree with Zeus that in “normal” mode, the car can feel somewhat unresponsive. But around town, “normal” mode is useful/practical for me. When I want to engage in more spirited driving, I simply press the “Sport” (or “Sport Plus”) button…and it totally transforms the car.
I don't think I've actually ever driven it using auto, and I always use Sport around town. I've even flopped between sport and sport + on track days. Sometimes I feel that Sport+ is a little jerkier on the car and throws the weight around a little more than I car for. First world problems.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm also a 2011 Spyder owner with a PDK. I weighed the pros/cons between the manual vs PDK before buying but the reality is that for me, the PDK gave me a lot more options concerning driving involvement than the manual, and at least a perceived performance advantage as well. I have had zero regrets about getting the PDK and I would buy another PDK again if I was in the market.

Buy either and you won't regret it, but don't stay away from the PDK because of some folks that treat it like a "poorer choice" perspective, its not.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I must admit when I first thought of getting a 987 Spyder I wanted a manual but went the PDK route for my wife . Now six years and 38,000 miles later I could not be happier with my choice of PDK. Makes for a great auto X car, a great touring and stop and go sports car. We have towed our little trailer all over the country behind the Spyder and PDK shines. Now the most important option to help you explore the greatness of the Spyder is the inclusion of sport bucket seats . These two 75+ youngsters love them ...... well maybe not for getting in and out but once in they are comfortable and hold you in place. Until you have driven it for some period, not just around the block don’t sell PDK short.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a PDK Spyder 987?