Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17' 718 Boxster S having OVERHEATING Issue already!!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:57 PM
mrjcw
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Others have stated that similar 718s have not had this problem under high performance driving conditions. The problem clearly has nothing to do with turbo location or heat shielding.
Maybe I got the defect one. Hope they can fix the problem.

We will see..
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 AM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrjcw
I guess mechanics never going to find out this problem by just looking at the data. This is something that they need to research the thermodynamics of the entire engine.

Maybe I am wrong, but this is my guess on why they can't figure out the problem.
It sounds like you are saying one of two things:

A. You are so much smarter than the Porsche engineers who designed the system that you can tell what's wrong just by looking at it, or
B. All the people who say they don't have the problem, not just in "spirited" driving conditions, but actual track use, are lying or don't know what they're talking about.

Clearly there is something wrong with your car, but you can be certain that it has nothing to do with its inherent design.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:49 AM
mrjcw
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
It sounds like you are saying one of two things:

A. You are so much smarter than the Porsche engineers who designed the system that you can tell what's wrong just by looking at it, or
B. All the people who say they don't have the problem, not just in "spirited" driving conditions, but actual track use, are lying or don't know what they're talking about.

Clearly there is something wrong with your car, but you can be certain that it has nothing to do with its inherent design.
I really hope that its just my car, so that no other new 718 owners need to go through this frustration.

We will see what porsche come up with.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjcw
I really hope that its just my car, so that no other new 718 owners need to go through this frustration.

We will see what porsche come up with.
You're a true martyr.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

What's with all the personal snark attacks? Porsche has a great engineering tradition, but they've certainly committed their share of forehead-slapping blunders. The four-banger is brand new from the ground up. Nobody will know where all of the proverbial bodies are buried for many years.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
What's with all the personal snark attacks? Porsche has a great engineering tradition, but they've certainly committed their share of forehead-slapping blunders. The four-banger is brand new from the ground up. Nobody will know where all of the proverbial bodies are buried for many years.
For real. They build great cars, but that doesn't mean they're infallible. Aside from the 9X6 IMS issues, my 981S can't go long at the track without overheating either without adding a 3rd radiator. Is it hard to believe that a turbo application with half the oil capacity is overheating?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
What's with all the personal snark attacks? Porsche has a great engineering tradition, but they've certainly committed their share of forehead-slapping blunders.
Indeed. And the worst was very recently, when they couldn't solve grenading 991.1 GT3 engines for THEIR ENTIRE RUN. Incidents were reduced over time with their oiling system improvements and DLC bandaids, but not eliminated. Hopefully the new engine on 991.2 GT3s was developed better, and avoid such issues. So wouldn't be surprised at all if OP's issues turned out to be a design/manufacturing problem, but the lack of other cases is good news. We'll find out soon enough. Good luck OP. And push for a buyback/replacement if your problem persists.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 PM
mrjcw
Cruisin'

Got a car back from dealer.

So, first thing, Porsche aware of the design flaw of early 718 models, and they revised design of under belly panel to pull more air into the turbo area. Recent production models already getting the newly designed belly panel.

Second thing, my car had VTG Servo unit on the exhaust side that was not properly installed from the factory and it was hanging loose next to the turbo. So it was missed during the PDI from the factory in Germany and dealer in U.S.

So, the tech properly installed unit and now the car runs a lot quieter and smoother. Booked a trackday this coming Sunday, so we will see if this resolved the issue.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:22 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Is it hard to believe that a turbo application with half the oil capacity is overheating?
Are you serious?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious how the track day went?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17' 718 Boxster S having OVERHEATING Issue already!!