Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 PM
s-fury
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage?

I just don't get it, why are Porsche cars with anything more then 20000 miles considered high mileage?

It looks like a lot of people believe that a Porsche will desintegrate after 50000 miles or so. Porsches are meant to be driven, and imo is perhaps the only sport car brand that is actually suited as a daily driver.

Even Porsche europe itself has a factory guarantee that is possible until max 125000 miles or 14 years old.

Don't get that mileage anxiety that some guys on this forum have. Get your car out on the road, and drive like you stole it ;-)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s-fury
I just don't get it, why are Porsche cars with anything more then 20000 miles considered high mileage?
I haven't seen that attitude.

I recently bought a 2006 with 29k miles and I believe most would consider that low mileage.

OTOH, if you are talking a 718, yes, 20k is probably above average.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think that is the case (people thinking they will disintegrate after 50k miles) I just think most Porsche sports cars are not looked at or considered everyday daily drivers. Many of us dealing with traffic, pot holes, crappy weather -- would just rather see it parked indoors and in good condition for when we can take it out and really enjoy the car. Also, as with any car of any make -- they are simply worth less with higher mileage and for most folks -- Porsches are a fairly substantial outflow whether all at once or over time. That being said -- I've seen a lot of Porsches with very high miles that delivered lots of smiles!

I am betting the mileage per vehicle average on Cayennes and Panameras would tell a whole different story.

BTW -- if you think the Porsche crowd is bad with regard to mileage -- you should check out the Ferrari crowd.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
BTW -- if you think the Porsche crowd is bad with regard to mileage -- you should check out the Ferrari crowd.
My 2016 981S just hit 660 miles!! I think my trickle charger has more miles on it. My car has not only never been in rain/snow, but it has literally never been wet, just detailed. Yes, I'm nuts. But those of you on the board who know me, know that! Yeah, yeah I know - DRIVE IT!!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I think the garage queeners are a minority. I can't imagine spending money for a car to just sit around, but each makes their own value. I've put 6k on my 981S in 6 months, including 2 track weekends and 3 autocrosses, although the rate will drop a LOT over winter. A look at the 987 market shows many do drive them quite a lot.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I think the garage queeners are a minority. I can't imagine spending money for a car to just sit around, but each makes their own value. I've put 6k on my 981S in 6 months, including 2 track weekends and 3 autocrosses, although the rate will drop a LOT over winter. A look at the 987 market shows many do drive them quite a lot.
When (on beautiful days) I drive it, I really do enjoy it, as it's a wonderful car. But, just owning it gives me pleasure. It is one of the last 6 981S allocations for the US. Will it appreciate? Likely not, but it should retain its value fairly well.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017, 03:58 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Not picking on you, PhilG. If that's how you get pleasure out of your Porsche, by all means. Just saying my own take on it. Yours will probably be worth more in 5-10 years
Old 11-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

These cars mean different things to different people. All of it is good, IMHO.

Whether it's a cherished fair-weather car for occasional use, a full-on track weapon, or a daily driver... the car is not deciding factor. I've logged probably many 10's of thousands of miles across in the 944, 968, and the 987S.

Happy to be blessed with that much time behind the wheel of such nice vehicles. :-)

Dave
Old 11-07-2017, 04:01 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by s-fury
I just don't get it, why are Porsche cars with anything more then 20000 miles considered high mileage? It looks like a lot of people believe that a Porsche will desintegrate after 50000 miles or so.
I don't think that is the case with most. As a matter of fact, I just bought a 2015 981 S with almost 25k miles without any hesitation. As long as the Car Fax and PPI are clean, mileage within a reason doesn't really bother me.

How each owner actually drives and/or enjoys the car is no one's business but just his own.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Not picking on you, PhilG. If that's how you get pleasure out of your Porsche, by all means. Just saying my own take on it. Yours will probably be worth more in 5-10 years
I didn't think you were. It may or may not be worth more in 5-10 years, but knowing me, I'll likely sell it before then anyway.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The main problem I see with mileage on a sports car is not really the miles, but the condition. I like my interior immaculate, and even a few thousand miles of use typically leads to seat wear, which is an absolute deal-breaker for me, hence never buying used cars. Also worth mentioning, is it depends a lot how the car was used. In my case, my car has exactly 8K miles, and it's even better than new inside. Absolutely zero wear anywhere, and leather has been conditioned several times (it's quite dry from the factory). And second, I only use it for trips to the mountains, and never on a track, so those miles are as good as they get. The rotors still feel smooth, so close to zero brake wear. And not a scratch under the bumper, even though it's an X73. BUT I use the car whenever I can (which is a few times a year), so it has been rained on a few times. Not worth keeping them as garage queens IMO. It also gives me pleasure to own, but if I didn't use it on a trip or something just because it'd get wet, that's messed up. Ha ha. But to each his own. Bottom line is a very well maintained car with a caring, ORIGINAL owner, it's actually better IMO, since car is already depreciated, broken in, and if something was going to go wrong, probably did already. Plus you get entire maintenance history, owner contact info, never sitting under the elements, no joy rides, etc. Just my take. I never buy used, but if I could buy from me, then I would. Ha ha.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My favorite Ferry Porsche quote: “our cars are meant to be driven, not polished.”
Old 11-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also think it's a minority on here that don't drive the cars unless the condition is perfect. Same people it only take it to concours, polish it daily etc.

If it's warm enough for the tires, the Spyder is going out. Paid way too much money to let it sit in the garage. Only reason the miles are low right now is having time to drive it distances. Work is only a few miles away.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

In addition to those who regularly polish their garage queens, and drive rarely and only on perfect days, I can speculate about another user group: those who stretch their budgets to buy a Porsche (or any other expensive brand) and cannot afford maintenance or repairs on higher mileage cars. And for those who buy used, they can't tolerate many miles.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Rant score - 4 but minus 1 for telling other owners how to enjoy their cars.

Quick Reply: High mileage?