Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens to new cars that don't sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens to new cars that don't sell?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to some of the folks here on the forums, I've decided not to eat the cost of ordering something new. A little disappointing, but I think I'll agree in the long run.

So, I'm currently hunting well-optioned, used 718 S. I'm being very picky. With that said, I found a couple of examples that are close, but not exactly right - and are new.

I've found two cars that are new... but aren't selling. One of the cars has been on the lot for 118 days and the other 182. They're both 2017 MYs while we know the 2018s are already on lots, too. This seems like a terrible situation for the dealer and a good opportunity for the right buyer.

I've contacted both. The one at 118 days is still offering the car at full MSRP (?!) and the 182 day car is going for $105k (down from $112 MSRP).

So, what happens as these sit here longer? What's the best way to get the dealer to drop the price drastically? What other advice would you have for this situation?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
Hi
So, what happens as these sit here longer? What's the best way to get the dealer to drop the price drastically? What other advice would you have for this situation?

Thanks!
Make a real offer.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Dealers typically have about 10 - 12% to work with off of MSRP. I would think something sitting on the lot that long a dealer would consider those types of discounts.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:14 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Just be careful about when the dealer started the warranty on any car sitting on the lot.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:17 AM
backeddy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ever see those $99 month lease deals on tv? there you go.......
Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

I made an offer more like 25% below MSRP. Perhaps they can't possibly take that... But no one is buying it at -5% that they have listed as their internet price...

I wish it was available for a $99 lease. I would expect the lease to be more like $999, lol.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 AM
Yogi911
Racer

I made an offer more like 25% below MSRP. Perhaps they can't possibly take that... But no one is buying it at -5% that they have listed as their internet price... I wish it was available for a $99 lease. I would expect the lease to be more like $999, lol.
25% below is pretty much an insult. No offense.

There is no way they will drop that much. Thats less than a used one with 10k miles goes for generally.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:56 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The dealer selling at MSRP is out of his mind. I bought my highly-optioned 2016 GTS at 10% discount (plus included shipping from Chicago to TX), and it was right off the truck, well before end of production. And it was a GTS, which is of somewhat limited production. Both cars are already a year old, so depreciated already. And VERY important is to ask if they still have the full 4-yr warranty, since it's a very common practice to 'punch' the cars before actually selling them to a customer. That'd be a further deduction. You should get 10% off at the very least, plus any incentives. I'm almost sure Porsche is offering something to dealers for leftover 2017s. And it's not like those cars are flying off the showrooms. It's a stupid policy to try to get MSRP for those cars. A smart dealer would have turned that money around at least once more. Oh, and to answer your question, ALL cars sell or lease at some point, with enough incentives from the manufacturer, and even losses to dealers, if needed. You should be able to get a killer deal on one of those cars if the dealers are smart about their situation. Just be a little patient. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:05 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

It's ok if they don't take my offer, it's not exactly the way I'd option it. I'd also be ok if it was a little used.

I don't mean to insult anyone... But it's gotta be pretty painful to sit on the car that long. Just noticed the dealer invoice is dated January 2017... So it's actually been sitting there for 11 months. Clearly the car isn't worth $105k to the market...

Thanks to both of you for bringing up the warranty! Great tip.

I'll let you all know if they respond.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

If the warranty card is punched, just make sure they CPO the car - extra time (2 years plus remaining)/100K miles v 50K.
CPO costs the dealer somewhere around $3K.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:04 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

All my recent Porsches have been custom ordered specifically to avoid paying for expensive options I don’t care for. The discount off MSRP may be less, but the price is typically a lot less than a car on the dealers lot. I also would never buy a black, white,or another silver Porsche, which is mainly what the dealers spec.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:33 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

In my (limited) experience the high end stuff doesn't come with huge discounts as they sit, as they are very little different from "last years model".

Also, while the dealer has money tied up in it and certainly wants to sell it, offering a big discount will cost more than sitting on it for a while longer.

If you want the car to drive--just buy one. If you want the car as an investment--you're buying a depreciating asset. Put your money into stocks.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

I'm definitely buying it to drive, but I don't want to lose $30k for driving it off the lot. I'd happily buy a slightly used one with the right options and price. I like my money in the stock market more than I want to take a huge initial hit.

I'm also pretty clear that 718s are going to be punished in resale values... So, I'm trying to stave off some of the hit by buying used - or, in this case, sitting on the lot 10 months.

They did reply and say we're too far apart to counter.

It's been on the lot since 1/17/2017... Maybe they see it as an investment! LOL

Oh, and it's Miami Blue, not silver/black/white. I also don't want those colors. If I find a great deal on a silver/black/white one, I'll still buy it and wrap it.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck Biochemlab - PM sent!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

I made an offer more like 25% below MSRP. Perhaps they can't possibly take that... But no one is buying it at -5% that they have listed as their internet price...

I wish it was available for a $99 lease. I would expect the lease to be more like $999, lol.
My local dealers are taking around 17% off some 2017 718's and they're still not moving so I'm not sure 25% is that unreasonable.

Quick Reply: What happens to new cars that don't sell?