Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens to new cars that don't sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Maybe just don’t keep replying? And then there is no need for sharing your business bonifides and the economic lessons... which is interesting since you seem set on an undesirable car (by your estimation) that you expect to depreciate heavily.
It's the right car for me. I don't care about the number of cylinders and I prefer the turbo torque curve. But there are a lot of people who would prefer a 981 for the NA engine.

All the indicators I see has porsche (the whole industry) moving towards electrified cars. I believe that the 718 will be the 996 of the Cayman / Boxster line. A sort of undesirable transition... Nothing wrong with the car intrinsically, but punished in resale.

So, I'm just trying to save myself some of the punishment.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
Agree, I don't want those options... And a couple others can go... And it's missing stuff I wish it had, like PTV...

I also found the one is Austin is 121 days. But if they're launch editions, maybe that's when they were punched.
If you mean warranty punch, that's not unique to launch editions. Just price the loss of warranty time into your offer.

If it's helpful, I bought a leftover '14 Cayman S in mid 2015 for about 12% off sticker and it was a fairly high option car at the time ($89k). Warranty was punched about 9 months prior to my purchase.

I also bought a '14 Carrera S later in 2015 that was also a leftover car, undesirable build (all performance options, no luxury) so it sat for a long time. Sticker of $122k, I paid $96k for it.

As regards your question about what happens to unsold cars, I once negotiated on another leftover Carrera S $120k sticker, they wanted $110k, I offered $105k. They said no and told me that if they don't get $110k, it'll go to auction, as they won't sell it for less out of the dealership on the premise that don't want to hurt overall pricing floors. Last I checked, they had discounted it to $99k, so I think they were FOS.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true!!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you mean warranty punch, that's not unique to launch editions. Just price the loss of warranty time into your offer.

If it's helpful, I bought a leftover '14 Cayman S in mid 2015 for about 12% off sticker and it was a fairly high option car at the time ($89k). Warranty was punched about 9 months prior to my purchase.

I also bought a '14 Carrera S later in 2015 that was also a leftover car, undesirable build (all performance options, no luxury) so it sat for a long time. Sticker of $122k, I paid $96k for it.

As regards your question about what happens to unsold cars, I once negotiated on another leftover Carrera S $120k sticker, they wanted $110k, I offered $105k. They said no and told me that if they don't get $110k, it'll go to auction, as they won't sell it for less out of the dealership on the premise that don't want to hurt overall pricing floors. Last I checked, they had discounted it to $99k, so I think they were FOS.
Thanks, these are compelling stories.

I'm going to show up at Larson tomorrow or Thursday with a cashier's check and make myself known. I'll also send followup emails to the other two dealers and let them know I'm a buyer of last resort... Then, let some time burn. I figure one of them will break... Or, I'll figure a better build in the meantime.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I believe that the 718 will be the 996 of the Cayman / Boxster line. A sort of undesirable transition...
Keep in mind that the 996 was not a slow seller. It was quite successful relative to the 993s.

The reason? While Porsche made several mistakes with the 996, they avoided the worst one of all: inappropriate pricing. They lowered the price when it came out, instead of raising it as they did with the 718.

The 718 is a perfectly fine car, but priced inappropriately. I don't know if the dealers understood that simple truth at launch time, but I'll bet they do now. Be aggressive in bargaining with them -- don't be the greater fool they're looking for. All of the power is literally in your pocket, right up until you start signing paperwork.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Please stop hijacking my thread with your adversarial attitude towards me. You are not helpful. Go away.​​​​
As mentioned, just ignore the guy. You need to learn how to do that because he probably won't be the only one. But this forum is way better than the other one.

Anyway, my guess is those 2 dealers (especially the first one) thought there was something special about those launch cars, but it's not. With a little bit of patience you should get a great deal on one. And since they're new, don't limit yourself to local dealers only. I got mine for 10% off and shipping (IL to TX) included, sight unseen, and in the middle of the MY, so you should do way better than that on a leftover. Do a search on autotrader.com and similar, and you should be able to find the deal you want. Good luck again.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Go online and find the 2017 718 closest to the one you would order. Call the dealer, get the warranty date qualified, and make them an offer. The car can be shipped anywhere, and you can usually make a deal on the shipping.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:51 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Try shopping at the end of the month and ideally end of a quarter. Their motivation goes up during that time period. Year end should be the best as long as you understand their fiscal year end (which may not be calendar year end)

Good luck
Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Ain't life grand?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Not sure if you saw this car clear across the country from you but it is Miami Blue and pretty well optioned. As you can see the MSRP was $88 and they’re asking $85.9. Obviously not much of a discount but I’m sure you could negotiate that way down.

Any way good luck in your search.

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...ails.ipl?cid=1
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, just read through this thread and find it to be very informative.

I'm in the market for a 17 CS and have been getting 10-10.5% off. Realistically do you think closer to 15% can be had off a demo with 5k miles?

oh, and what's this "conquest money" all about?

thanks

Last edited by redduck996; 11-08-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 533 Posts

what happens to cars that don't sell ? they sell. Every thing will sell at the right price
best approach: go to dealer, sit with GM, and tell him to show you auction reports on similar cars and that tells you what other dealers are buying the cars at . Then you tell him/her that his car is worth to you 2-3 k above auction price as it still untitled , and if they are logical , they will take that offer , in particular the sport cars selling season will be very slow the next 3-4 months .
every thing else is conjecture
the problem though with the cars you are looking at is the fact that they are " Launch Edition: and probably not that many changing hands as they are rarer, so it might be harder to get a fair number of examples at auction
good luck
Old 11-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by redduck996
Hey guys, just read through this thread and find it to be very informative.

I'm in the market for a 17 CS and have been getting 10-10.5% off. Realistically do you think closer to 15% can be had off a demo with 5k miles?

oh, and what's this "conquest money" all about?

thanks
Someone earlier in the thread said they've seen 17% off.

Conquest money is a bonus / discount / reward to the dealer for selling a car to someone driving another brand. It's about acquiring customers from other brands.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

$105k? go get a 981 spyder or GT4.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Originally Posted by 981.CS
$105k? go get a 981 spyder or GT4.
Sorry, that does not answer the question. You're Out!

Quick Reply: What happens to new cars that don't sell?