Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens to new cars that don't sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$112K..for a 718? uh..no. I'd get a 911 T or a CPO 911 GTS for that price
Old 11-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
$112K..for a 718? uh..no. I'd get a 911 T or a CPO 911 GTS for that price
That's why I'm trying to get 25%+ off. I won't pay $112k. But I also don't want a 911.

I can't imagine these 2017 models are going to sell for $100k... You can spec out just about anything on a 2018 for that price...

I'll just be patient.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:48 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biochemlab

Please read the conversation. The poster just before me made the (generally) very accurate comment that cars are a depreciating asset. This is true even for new car dealerships. We can agree that a car is an asset, but it is (generally) not an investment-grade asset. Sure, a 911 R may be an investment, but not a run of the mill 718.

Whether owned by an individual or a business, a car depreciates and has additional ownership costs above and beyond depreciation, otherwise known as liabilities. This is not characteristic of an investment. Holding an asset almost guaranteed to depreciate while paying associated liabilities is wholly inadvisable (unless you get to drive it!).

And, since you've decided to question my personal credibility, I'm registered with the SEC as an investment advisor and I just sold my first business on September 30th after founding it and running it for 11 years. The firm advised corporate clients on risk management, investment strategy, and employee benefits.

Let's go back to talking about buying cars now, please.
Good for you.

Why was it you were complaining about paying MSRP?

BTW, I never said the price shouldn't be going down. Only that the dealer bought* the car as an investment, i.e. expected to sell it for more than their total costs. If that concept is foreign to you, well I just don't know where else to steer this conversation.

*I have no idea how the Porsche/dealer purchase/sale relationship goes.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Agree, I don't want those options... And a couple others can go... And it's missing stuff I wish it had, like PTV...

I also found the one is Austin is 121 days. But if they're launch editions, maybe that's when they were punched.
Have you approached a dealer with your "Dream Build"? Why not just order exactly what you want. As pointed out by a previous poster, may be cheaper than buying off the lot and you get everything you want, nothing you don't.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
Good for you.

Why was it you were complaining about paying MSRP?

BTW, I never said the price shouldn't be going down. Only that the dealer bought* the car as an investment, i.e. expected to sell it for more than their total costs. If that concept is foreign to you, well I just don't know where else to steer this conversation.

*I have no idea how the Porsche/dealer purchase/sale relationship goes.
Inventory is an asset, not an investment. There is a difference. No retail business sees inventory as an investment. It's COGS. It's an expense. If that concept is foreign to you, I would steer you toward a basic accounting course. Please stop steering my conversation on car purchases with your misunderstanding of business finance.

I don't want to pay MSRP because I'm convinced that 718s are going to depreciate badly. So, I'm working to reduce the downside for me. This is just smart use of the money I've worked so hard for. Everyone else here seems to agree.

You seem to have some issue with me. I'm not sure why. We don't know each other. Maybe you could just find another thread to give advice on something you admit to knowing nothing about.

Thanks,
Old 11-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Have you approached a dealer with your "Dream Build"? Why not just order exactly what you want. As pointed out by a previous poster, may be cheaper than buying off the lot and you get everything you want, nothing you don't.
My dream build is still $105k. So I know I'll lose $30k in first year depreciation if I do that. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather compromise on the build a little and maybe get something barely used so that I can stave off some of that loss.

After lots of research, I'm sure I want a 718...but that it's such an undesired car that I need to do whatever I can to protect myself from depreciation as best possible.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Inventory is an asset, not an investment.
I try to invest in assets.

No retail business sees inventory as an investment. It's COGS. It's an expense.
Biz 101. It's not an expense until it's sold. Oh, and it's an IRS rule too.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Default Fix hypertext

I try to invest in assets.
Not all assets are investments. Almost all (perhaps all) investments are assets.
Biz 101. It's not an expense until it's sold. Oh, and it's an IRS rule too.
Right, because it's an asset first... And you can depreciate it or even write it off if it doesn't sell. Just like I've said.
​​​​​​
Now, I think sitting on a new 2017 MY car for ten months while the 2018 MY cars are on the lot and selling means that some of the 2017 MY cars have depreciated without even being sold. Because these are prohibitively well optioned, it makes it continually harder to move these as time goes on. Now that a GTS can be ordered with many of these options at a discount, these cars values can only be justified by the immediacy that they can be driven off the lot today. Once they are sitting next to a 2018 GTS, these 2017s will be worth less to the market than a non-optioned GTS.

So, I think there's a lot of room for these to fall and if they are bought up by other people, I don't care... They aren't 'dream builds'. And there are 3 of them.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

And you can depreciate it or even write it off if it doesn't sell.
I think you have a misguided view of the life cycle and value manufactured products. It's one thing for a dot com to go up and down thousands of percent. Not so for hard goods.

Now, I think sitting on a new 2017 MY car for ten months while the 2018 MY cars are on the lot and selling means that some of the 2017 MY cars have depreciated without even being sold. Because these are prohibitively well optioned, it makes it continually harder to move these as time goes on. Now that a GTS can be ordered with many of these options at a discount, these cars values can only be justified by the immediacy that they can be driven off the lot today. Once they are sitting next to a 2018 GTS, these 2017s will be worth less to the market than a non-optioned GTS.

So, I think there's a lot of room for these to fall and if they are bought up by other people, I don't care... They aren't 'dream builds'. And there are 3 of them.
Well until you find a dealer with the same thoughts, your thoughts are just that, thoughts. Trying to rationalize it on a forum isn't going to help you in the least. Even if a thousand people agreed with you, what are you going to do? Print out a ream of paper and plop it on the sales manager's desk?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

I think you have a misguided view of the life cycle and value manufactured products. It's one thing for a dot com to go up and down thousands of percent. Not so for hard goods.

Well until you find a dealer with the same thoughts, your thoughts are just that, thoughts. Trying to rationalize it on a forum isn't going to help you in the least. Even if a thousand people agreed with you, what are you going to do? Print out a ream of paper and plop it on the sales manager's desk?
I asked a question and have received useful information from people here. The conquest discount was a fine example of that. I can use that in my negotiations. Another member clued me into a 3rd example of the same car that I wasn't aware of, thereby strengthening my position and buying me additional time.

Please stop hijacking my thread with your adversarial attitude towards me. You are not helpful. Go away.

​​​​
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

My rec:

If you can afford it, decide what you think is a fair price (I guess 25% off MSRP), go to your bank, get certified check, take it with you, put it on the table, and ask for the paperwork.

If they do not take that check, walk away. They will be hard press to let you walk away. It's never failed me. Best way to buy a car IMHO...
Old 11-06-2017, 11:27 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Please stop hijacking my thread with your adversarial attitude towards me. You are not helpful. Go away.​​​​
Click on User CP at the top left corner of the screen. Next click on Edit Ignore List on the left about halfway down. Then add this guy to the box that says Add a Member to Your List.

Voila.

You're welcome.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by tuto993
My rec:

If you can afford it, decide what you think is a fair price (I guess 25% off MSRP), go to your bank, get certified check, take it with you, put it on the table, and ask for the paperwork.

If they do not take that check, walk away. They will be hard press to let you walk away. It's never failed me. Best way to buy a car IMHO...
Thanks. Luckily one of the 3 is about 30 minutes from me. I'll try that later this week. I didn't really think it would make much of a difference making the same offer online, money's money... But might as well try it and see what they say. Can't hurt.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Click on User CP at the top left corner of the screen. Next click on Edit Ignore List on the left about halfway down. Then add this guy to the box that says Add a Member to Your List.

Voila.

You're welcome.
Thank you! Still learning the functions of this board.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:17 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

I asked a question and have received useful information from people here. The conquest discount was a fine example of that. I can use that in my negotiations. Another member clued me into a 3rd example of the same car that I wasn't aware of, thereby strengthening my position and buying me additional time.

Please stop hijacking my thread with your adversarial attitude towards me. You are not helpful. Go away.
​​​​
Maybe just don’t keep replying? And then there is no need for sharing your business bonifides and the economic lessons...which is interesting since you seem set on an undesirable car (by your estimation) that you expect to depreciate heavily.

Quick Reply: What happens to new cars that don't sell?