Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Charger Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Battery Charger Question

I have a CTEK MUS 4.3 charger that I use when the car will be sitting for a week or so (plus all winter). I connected the charger a few days ago and using the "car" mode, the charger lights progress through and is now constantly measuring "8" which indicates it's pulse charging. I disconnected the charger, plugged it back in, and am running it on the "motorcycle" mode, which is a gentler mode. It's been connected for around an hour and reading "4." In the past on "car" mode, it typically will read "7" not "8" indicating a full charge. The battery is around 18 months old, and should be in good working order. The electronics and starter work fine on the car. Is this normal? No mention in the manual of the charger staying on "8." Only notes this as a pulse charge indicator. Would you be concerned. I can always give CTEK a call tomorrow - their techs are excellent.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I also have the CTEK MUS 4.3 and mine goes to "8" after a few hours since it is plugged in and stays there. I always use the "car" mode and have never tried any other modes. My understanding is that the charger will charge the battery if it is not fully charged (stage 2-4) and goes to stage 8 to maintain the battery between 12.7V and 14.7V. Therefore, I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Let me know if you find otherwise from a CTEK tech.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a different model but I think storii is correct. From the manual:

STEP 8 PULSE

Maintaining the battery at 95–100% capacity. The charger monitors the battery voltage and gives a pulse when neces-sary to keep the battery fully charged.

Not sure why in the past it only went to Step 7 which is a constant voltage charge.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I spoke with a Leo, a technician at CTEK this morning. I've actually spoken with him before - very knowledgeable and nice guy. He assured me that it's normal if the charger registers EITHER 7 or 8, and that my battery is in fine shape. He also said it's normal if the charger reaches stage 8 (pulse charge), it's normal for it to remain there rather than reverting to stage 7. Bottom line whether it advances to 7 or 8 is fine and is of no concern. He also confirmed that the automobile mode should be used, rather than the motorcycle mode.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Excellent!

Quick Reply: Battery Charger Question