Sponsored by:

Question for 911 S/TTS owners who also have a 718

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:26 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Question for 911 S/TTS owners who also have a 718

My only extravagance is cars. Currently, my two sports cars are a 2017 911 Turbo S and a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe (it's a gorgeous inferno orange metallic, I love it but it looks better than it feels, and my wife doesn't like driving it). My wife has fallen in love with the TTS (but is afraid to drive it as well, which isn't such a bad thing of course), and I'm thinking of retiring the vette and picking up another fun P car she and I can both enjoy. I'm thinking of ordering a racing yellow 718 Boxster GTS (I love yellow cars with black accents, and she loves the combo; plus, I love the shape of the 718/981). Ordering now would work out great, since we're about to go into sports car storage time here in northern Illinois, and a car we order now would likely arrive in time for emergence from hibernation in April.

When I bought my current 911, I had first test driven a 718 Cayman S and then a 911 Carrera S, the former being sweet but not as much power as the vette, and the latter feeling slightly better than the vette but whetting my appetite for the whole enchilada, hence the TTS. Now, however, having the TTS to meet my need for flat out speed (and extravagance), I'm feeling like I could enjoy the qualities of the Boxster GTS.

My question, for current 911 S or Turbo S owners who also have a 718/981 (or had one at the same time you had the 911), is: What is/was the experience like for you? Of course this is all subjective, and in the end it's up to what I feel, but I would value the input and possible insights of others. Much appreciated!
Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 997.1TT and a 981 Cayman GTS.

I like the contrast of the two cars.

Speed and space=turbo (plus mines a manual)

Luxury and handling=cayman (mine has all the options and pdk so real nice on inside)

If i was you i would buy a 981 (i prefer the look of the gts). That way you have a turbo car and a N/A car. If it was me i would buy a cayman in 6mt so i had both pdk and manual but i suppose pdk in both is fine. A 718 is good and all. Looks great and would still feel like a cayman but since it is turbod i would think it would feel a lot like your 911 but with less power. However a 981 would feel and sound completely different justifying owning 2 similar cars. At least that was my logic when i picked up the cayman. My only complaint about my turbo is the interior is looking and feeling dated. If it had my cayman interior i would be in love but i cant afford a 991 turbo.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:26 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ What Yogi said..

I have a 997.1TT & now a recently-added 981 CS.

THe 997TT is a 6MT for when I want monster torque (it's tuned to over 630lb/ft) and to row my own gears.

THe Cayman (PDK) when I want to hear the N/A engine howl at 7800RPM. That thing in sport+ mode sounds awesome..

Two very different cars for different moods.

Quick Reply: Question for 911 S/TTS owners who also have a 718