Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jaguar Turbo-4 F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default MotorTrend - First Review

MotorTrend review of the 4-cylinder F-Type:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/jagua...A19A433AF7BCC0

"While the rest of the F-Type’s 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 and 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 engines produce between 340 and 575 horsepower, the rating for this new Ingenium 2.0-liter turbo-four stands at an impressive 296 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. The Mercedes-Benz SLC 300’s 2.0-liter turbo-four makes just 241 hp/273 lb-ft, but the Porsche 718 duo’s 2.0-liter turbo-four ups it to 300 hp/280 lb-ft. So the Jag is definitely in the game here."

"The new F-Type also showed an advantage on the skidpad, averaging 0.95g lateral acceleration to the S’ 0.90g. Impressive. Still, at 3,601 pounds, the aluminum-bodied 2.0-liter F-Type is no lightweight. A similarly powered 718 Cayman (3,140 pounds as-tested) undercut this Jaguar by an unbelievable 461 pounds, plus it dispatched our figure-eight in a scant 23.7 seconds; an enormous 1.7-second difference."

"The new F-Type accelerated from 0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds on its way to a quarter mile in 14.1 seconds at 99.7 mph. That’s about a second behind the aforementioned F-Type S (rebranded “R-Dynamic” for 2018, by the way), and more than a second behind that same, pesky Cayman with its 4.1-second 0-60 time and 12.5-second 111.2-mph quarter mile."

And, of course, what review of a 4-cylinder turbo would not be complete without comments about engine sound:

"There’s still a sense of anticipation when pressing the large starter button, but what’s missing is the engine erupting when it fires—like the V-6 and V-8 F-Types do. Those F-Types are notorious for their bellowing, barking, and snarling engines. It’s practically their calling card, which is why it’s so disheartening that the four-cylinder’s sound is completely disappointing most of the time. Start the Jag and you hear the I-4’s 2,900-psi fuel injection system and valvetrain ticking and clattering away like a diesel. It sounds mechanical, but not in the good way. You are left wanting that aural feedback, unless it’s at wide-open throttle (with the standard, active sport exhaust open), or just after abruptly lifting off the throttle, when the exhaust crackles in overrun. Sorry, but this engine doesn’t sound sporting at all. We can think of several turbo-fours that sound far better, including that of our 2018 Car of the Year, the Alfa Romeo Giulia."

Notwithstanding its many drawbacks, corpulence being the most offensive, I have to say that I am visually smitten with Callum's handiwork. For me personally, the beauty of the F-Type makes it easier to overlook its shortcomings. With a body like that, much can be forgiven! If I was a few years older and in the market for less of a driver's car and more of a GT, an F-Type with MT in one of its variations might be on my list of candidates based primarily, and admittedly, on looks. Callum nailed it IMO.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

The F-Type is easily one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen (at *any* price).

I thought very long and very hard about getting an F-Type over a Boxster/Cayman. As much as I love my BGTS I swoon and question my decision every time I see an F-Type coupe on the road.

What swayed me in the end was a couple of things:

1. Decided to go convertible, and the F-Type convertible has no more storage space than my Miata. The Boxster is far more practical as we are planning some long road trips.

2. Much like the Corvette, I was afraid the F-Type would bite me. To me the Boxster strikes a better (safer) balance between power and neutral handling.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:36 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Which motor would you select? Not bought into 4 cylinders for sport/ luxury car.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
The F-Type is easily one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen (at *any* price).
+1. And there seems to be a sense of occasion whenever I see one because even in So Cal they aren't a common sighting.

Originally Posted by justabout
Which motor would you select? Not bought into 4 cylinders for sport/ luxury car.
A MT would be essential for me so I believe, based on memory, that the MT is only offered in the two supercharged V6 models with 340 and 380 hp. I don't believe it is available in the V8 offerings, but someone correct me. I've heard the V6 (luscious) and a friend just picked up last week the one-year only 400 Sport V6 model with 400 hp that slots in above the two "lower" V6 offerings (but I don't believe the 400 comes with MT).
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Have to eat my words. My original posting from four months ago is so....last year. Since then, lots more ear-time on the 718, starting to really warm up to it (curse you, Porsche). Wasting hours on the 3D configurator. Base Cayman, or Cayman GTS? Base...GTS...Base...GTS. Curse you, Porsche.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Pandaa
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Have to eat my words. My original posting from four months ago is so....last year. Since then, lots more ear-time on the 718, starting to really warm up to it (curse you, Porsche). Wasting hours on the 3D configurator. Base Cayman, or Cayman GTS? Base...GTS...Base...GTS. Curse you, Porsche.
The GTS has the change in look so it’ll definitely stand out. Not sure if you’re one to modify your cars but thanks for the post. Helped with the car search.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

The new F type is gorgeous regardless of engine, but it doesn't sound that great on the Grand Tour IMO. Tradeoffs.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Pandaa
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
The new F type is gorgeous regardless of engine, but it doesn't sound that great on the Grand Tour IMO. Tradeoffs.
I agree. Though it’s performance is also not as good as other options. I’d rather just get a slightly used V8 or V6 though for sounds and looks only. Brave new world for the 4, I’m even leaning towards a 718 versus a 4C.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I thought very long and very hard about getting an F-Type over a Boxster/Cayman. As much as I love my BGTS I swoon and question my decision every time I see an F-Type coupe on the road.

What swayed me in the end was a couple of things:

1. Decided to go convertible, and the F-Type convertible has no more storage space than my Miata. The Boxster is far more practical as we are planning some long road trips.

2. Much like the Corvette, I was afraid the F-Type would bite me. To me the Boxster strikes a better (safer) balance between power and neutral handling.
I was a click away from getting a new 2017 F-Type R convertible at $30K below MSRP in December. But I wanted the wheels that came with the carbon ceramic brake package and the dealer wouldn't help out price-wise. That small window of indecision was all it took for visit Porsche San Diego and see the Spyder. The rest is history. I made the right choice. But that Jag is a beautiful car and performs well.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM
JKE_MN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my 2014 F-type V6 SC for my 2016 Boxster GTS. I loved the F-type and it was a great car but it was time for something new....
Old 04-19-2018, 04:50 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
MotorTrend review of the 4-cylinder F-Type:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/jaguar/f-type/2018/2018-jaguar-f-type-coupe-turbo-four-first-test-review/?wc_mid=4035:11038&wc_rid=4035:29075956&_wcsid=7CC8A9E721FFB4C944A2F56AA F61793927A19A433AF7BCC0

"While the rest of the F-Type’s 3.0-liter supercharged V-6 and 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 engines produce between 340 and 575 horsepower, the rating for this new Ingenium 2.0-liter turbo-four stands at an impressive 296 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. The Mercedes-Benz SLC 300’s 2.0-liter turbo-four makes just 241 hp/273 lb-ft, but the Porsche 718 duo’s 2.0-liter turbo-four ups it to 300 hp/280 lb-ft. So the Jag is definitely in the game here."

"The new F-Type also showed an advantage on the skidpad, averaging 0.95g lateral acceleration to the S’ 0.90g. Impressive. Still, at 3,601 pounds, the aluminum-bodied 2.0-liter F-Type is no lightweight. A similarly powered 718 Cayman (3,140 pounds as-tested) undercut this Jaguar by an unbelievable 461 pounds, plus it dispatched our figure-eight in a scant 23.7 seconds; an enormous 1.7-second difference."

"The new F-Type accelerated from 0-60 mph in 5.4 seconds on its way to a quarter mile in 14.1 seconds at 99.7 mph. That’s about a second behind the aforementioned F-Type S (rebranded “R-Dynamic” for 2018, by the way), and more than a second behind that same, pesky Cayman with its 4.1-second 0-60 time and 12.5-second 111.2-mph quarter mile."

And, of course, what review of a 4-cylinder turbo would not be complete without comments about engine sound:

"There’s still a sense of anticipation when pressing the large starter button, but what’s missing is the engine erupting when it fires—like the V-6 and V-8 F-Types do. Those F-Types are notorious for their bellowing, barking, and snarling engines. It’s practically their calling card, which is why it’s so disheartening that the four-cylinder’s sound is completely disappointing most of the time. Start the Jag and you hear the I-4’s 2,900-psi fuel injection system and valvetrain ticking and clattering away like a diesel. It sounds mechanical, but not in the good way. You are left wanting that aural feedback, unless it’s at wide-open throttle (with the standard, active sport exhaust open), or just after abruptly lifting off the throttle, when the exhaust crackles in overrun. Sorry, but this engine doesn’t sound sporting at all. We can think of several turbo-fours that sound far better, including that of our 2018 Car of the Year, the Alfa Romeo Giulia."

Notwithstanding its many drawbacks, corpulence being the most offensive, I have to say that I am visually smitten with Callum's handiwork. For me personally, the beauty of the F-Type makes it easier to overlook its shortcomings. With a body like that, much can be forgiven! If I was a few years older and in the market for less of a driver's car and more of a GT, an F-Type with MT in one of its variations might be on my list of candidates based primarily, and admittedly, on looks. Callum nailed it IMO.
I'm still sitting on the fence for an F-type, haven't quite decided on V6 or 2.0 Turbo. I have driven both and while the V6 indeed sounds very nice, sometimes a bit over the top, the 2.0 is quite good also. A very balanced car and I found the sound quite ok too. There are a few companies already preparing aftermarket exhausts which will no doubt enhance the sound experience.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I am not digging that single exhaust at all. Might be the first time I've disliked something relating to the aesthetics of an F Type.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

I am not digging that single exhaust at all. Might be the first time I've disliked something relating to the aesthetics of an F Type.
It's an acquired taste for sure, it is however less prominent in real life and I expect a double exhaust version within the coming months. i've spoken with one German company who are developping it at the moment.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Up until the F-Type was introduced my wife agreed that the 987 Spyder is one of the best looking cars. Now she points out the F-Type every time we pass one, she’s smitten with it. She sends me pics when she sees one. It is definitely one of the best designs out there.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Up until the F-Type was introduced my wife agreed that the 987 Spyder is one of the best looking cars. Now she points out the F-Type every time we pass one, she’s smitten with it. She sends me pics when she sees one. It is definitely one of the best designs out there.
Your wife has great taste Afshin but you already knew that Please say hello from us.

Quick Reply: New Jaguar Turbo-4 F-Type