718 GTS Official Release!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Scooby921;14545796]
Originally Posted by il pirata
Sonax foaming alcantara cleaner works wonders. The alcantara steering wheel on my wife's JCW Cooper S was all oily and matted down after 5 years of neglect. I applied the cleaner, gave it a few minutes to soak, agitated with a soft toothbrush, and wiped off with a wet cloth. The yellow cloth turned black. After letting the wheel dry over night I gave it another quick fluff with the toothbrush and it's good as new. I was actually surprised as I thought it was totaled after all the hand oils and dirt getting worked into it. I no longer have any concerns for upkeep and durability of the interior in my GTS.
What is it with those girls and there hand creams all over our precious cars
Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like DF and CJW liked it and great roads too.

Fantastic car and fantastic chassis - whats not to like.

The 15HP advantage (over the 718S 350HP Vs 365HP) is delivered across the majority of the torque curve (above ~ 1900RPM) not just at the top end.

Simply consider this, peak torque 430Nm 718GTS and peak torque 981 GT4 420Nm.

Last edited by randr; 10-20-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:12 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
ROFL. The video is just ... wow. When they're not talking to each other, apparently via subspace communications, they're playing cheesy Olive Garden dinner music. Anything to keep the sound of the actual cars out of the video.

Gotta love the 'XX' and 'XY' messaging on the license plates, too.

This is a company whose best days -- and best cars -- are behind it.
Really, 991.2 GT3 and 991 GT2 RS and 918, just to start with - all totally different engines - all superb performers.

Moreover, the 718 is a better car than the 981 in every way - stops better, corners better, accelerates better - well proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The subjective stuff e.g. sound and looks are solely in the eye of the beholder.

In terms of alcantara it lasts wayyyy better than leather - all you have to do is wash it with very mild soap and water mix - my 18 month old alcantara clad GTS seats still look pristine relative to my 9 month old leather clad .2S seats (drivers seat looks worn already and looks very conspicuous relative to the unworn passenger seat).

Cayman/Boxster owners wanted performance to match the chassis - now they are getting it - well done Porsche.

Last edited by randr; 10-20-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Really, 991.2 GT3 and 991 GT2 RS and 918, just to start with - all totally different engines - all superb performers.

Moreover, the 718 is a better car than the 981 in every way - stops better, corners better, accelerates better - well proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The subjective stuff e.g. sound and looks are solely in the eye of the beholder.

In terms of alcantara it lasts wayyyy better than leather - all you have to do is wash it with very mild soap and water mix - my 18 month old alcantara clad GTS seats still look pristine relative to my 9 month old leather clad .2S seats (drivers seat looks worn already and looks very conspicuous relative to the unworn passenger seat).

Cayman/Boxster owners wanted performance to match the chassis - now they are getting it - well done Porsche.
must be why they are selling so many.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Randr sounds like a 718 is your dream car. There are plenty available at steep discounts, even in sunny California.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:39 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Worth reiterating that the 4-banger doesn't save any fuel in the real world, or in US EPA testing. (I know that's not what you meant.)

It does save heavy tax penalties in China and other markets more important to Porsche than the US. And it saves 911 sales that would otherwise have been lost to the lower-margin two-seaters (meaning non-GT/Spyder cars).

That's about it.
No doubt some smoke an mirrors around CAFE standards ... my point is that these NA cars may be rare commodities in just a few years.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUZfe3-ZWA

Looks like DF and CJW liked it and great roads too.

Fantastic car and fantastic chassis - whats not to like.

I dunno, that farting sound that flows from the rear of the car that makes everyone wonder whether the car's ****ting itself?

btw someone needs to help Dario with his math. “15 additional horsepower, which is a lot percentage wise...’. Really, less than 5 percent is a lot? Then he says ‘and you can really feel it!’ And you’re supposed to take anything else he says seriously?

also hilarious how they drown the exhaust out with music throughout most of the video.

Last edited by Archimedes; 10-20-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

I feel like the 718 vs 981 is the new PDK vs Manual discussion.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that measure relates, there's a big difference between transmission choices and paying huge dollars for a four banger. I'm not a hater of the turbo four but I am a definite hater of the pricing strategy surrounding it.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I dunno, that farting sound that flows from the rear of the car that makes everyone wonder whether the car's ****ting itself?

btw someone needs to help Dario with his math. “15 additional horsepower, which is a lot percentage wise...’. Really, less than 5 percent is a lot? Then he says ‘and you can really feel it!’ And you’re supposed to take anything else he says seriously?

also hilarious how they drown the exhaust out with music throughout most of the video.
The power is available across the whole curve........unlike a NA engine where any gains are purely at the top end. This is basic stuff and yes you can feel it if its across the curve.

That farting sound.....really. What happened to real car enthusiasts, those that can see cars in the round not as one dimensional objects.

I prefer better handling, braking and acceleration over the numbing drone produced by the 981. A sports car in a competitive market place that can't deliver performance is not a sports car - its an anachronism.

The reality is people prefer performance over noise.

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Randr sounds like a 718 is your dream car. There are plenty available at steep discounts, even in sunny California
Already own 2 Porsche sports cars and have a 720S on order. I just happen to be able to acknowledge a really good drivers car when I see/drive one. Also sales for nearly all sports cars are substantially down in the US.

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
must be why they are selling so many.
On a global basis, sales for the 718 are up Y-O-Y (see Porsche statement to that effect).

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
I feel like the 718 vs 981 is the new PDK vs Manual discussion.
Its more a case of a small number of, what appear to be, jaded NA owners that tend to pollute any threads dedicated to the newer models. Nearly always the same group of people, nearly always saying the same thing e.g. they don't like the sound. Even though thats entirely subjective. Even the journos have got off that band wagon (e.g. see various reviews by Car and Driver or Motor Trend).

The answer is very simple for those people that don't like the sound, move on or buy a GT3 or GT3 touring. After all, you can only say the same thing so many times.

Anyhow, its a no brainer the 718GTS will be a great piece of gear, a hoot to drive and specced with the performance goodies - will be great on track.

Last edited by randr; 10-20-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

A sports car in a competitive market place that can't deliver performance is not a sports car - its an anachronism.
Performance-wise, both the 981 and 982 will be utterly wasted by a stock Camaro. As a result, it's necessary for the Porsche enthusiast to look to less objective metrics to justify their puchase.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:18 AM
randr
Banned

Performance-wise, both the 981 and 982 will be utterly wasted by a stock Camaro. As a result, it's necessary for the Porsche enthusiast to look to less objective metrics to justify their puchase.
A Camaro is not a sports car and even then you'd have to be reaching for a near race ready ZL1 1LE, with super cup tires, race aero and full splitter

Name me another mid - engined sports car that you can live with, will have the fit, finish and deliver the driving experience of the new 718 GTS. Ferrari 488 take your fancy?

Performance wise it'll come down to the driver as it always has done - beyond a certain level of performance. Moreover, heavy cars are far harder to drive fast consistently. You see this at club level events all the time.

Last edited by randr; 10-21-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:48 AM
RedSpyder
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The power is available across the whole curve........unlike a NA engine where any gains are purely at the top end. This is basic stuff and yes you can feel it if its across the curve.

That farting sound.....really. What happened to real car enthusiasts, those that can see cars in the round not as one dimensional objects.

I prefer better handling, braking and acceleration over the numbing drone produced by the 981. A sports car in a competitive market place that can't deliver performance is not a sports car - its an anachronism.

Already own 2 Porsche sports cars and have a 720S on order. I just happen to be able to acknowledge a really good drivers car when I see/drive one. Also sales for nearly all sports cars are substantially down in the US.

On a global basis, sales for the 718 are up Y-O-Y (see Porsche statement to that effect).

Its more a case of a small number of, what appear to be, jaded NA owners that tend to pollute any threads dedicated to the newer models. Nearly always the same group of people, nearly always saying the same thing e.g. they don't like the sound. Even though thats entirely subjective. Even the journos have got off that band wagon (e.g. see various reviews by Car and Driver or Motor Trend).

The answer is very simple for those people that don't like the sound, move on or buy a GT3 or GT3 touring. After all, you can only say the same thing so many times.

Anyhow, its a no brainer the 718GTS will be a great piece of gear, a hoot to drive and specced with the performance goodies - will be great on track.
Very much agree with RandR's comments. To the sound critics - let's just get over it. At speed it's never going to sound like something with more cylinders. Progress, like time, waits for no one. Honestly tell me you think a Koenigsegg sounds great? A 911 Turbo which is a fantastic car, also sound like you now what. If you want a great sound, jump into another price bracket and buy yourself a Ferrari V12 if you can afford it. I have firsthand experienced a 718 S crawling past me at idling speed. Frankly it did not sound that bad nor would the uninformed guess it's a 4 cyl. Yes, the idea of paying more and getting a smaller capacity motor with two cylinders less (and which is actually not much better on fuel consumption - emissions are lower) is the proverbial bitter pill. When you're going fast to the point where rather romantically and corny the motor "sings", I'm concentration on more than just the sound. At that point I do not particularly care what it sounds like to a bystander but want the latest technology and performance to be there for me. To me fun and emotion consists of more than just sound. Sound is and important element but I cannot say that the sound of the 987 CS I owned was so absolutely fantastic as many are lamenting now - obviously not referring to GT4's or Spyders. New interior architecture is also important. A 911 will always remain the icon but after much consideration I am seriously thinking of buying a 718 GTS instead of a 4 year old, low mileage. 991.1 S for the same money. Go figure?! Maybe it is because the thrill of driving is more important to me than what detractors may say?
Old 10-21-2017, 01:36 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSpyder
Very much agree with RandR's comments. To the sound critics - let's just get over it.
Sorry, no can do, at least while they’re asking nearly 6 figures for the beetle enhanced virtual Subaru 718. At $50k I would probably overlook its sound but for what they’re asking... not a chance. If you want to throw your cash in the direction of one of these four bangers be my guest. There are plenty available.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:52 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just placed my order for my 718 GTS Boxster. This is my 5th Porsche - 2009 Boxster, 2012 Cayman R, 2015 GT3, 2016 GT3 RS. Each one was Tracked around 14 to 20 times a year. My wifer suffered a stroke and is unable to get in a coupe so I decided to get a Porsche Roadster that we both can enjoy, on and off the Track. Since I regretted selling the 09 Boxster I decided on the 718.

I'm much more interested in Performance than Sound. I'm anxious to get the 718 GTS next spring, do a proper break in and then get On Track at Grand Bend Raceway, Toronto Motorsports Park and Mosport.

Thank you Porsche for improving the breed.

I apologize ahead to the people that will be annoyed by the sound of my 718.
Attached Images  

Last edited by John Elliot; 10-21-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 718 GTS Official Release!