Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 GTS Official Release!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:08 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Selo, if you don't track your car (I don't) you can't unleash what you already have in GA unless you want to risk a night in the iron house and mad points, I have no need for more temptation.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:09 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUZfe...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510

Ouch!!!
Base price for the 981 GTS Boxster was $74,600. That’s a $7300 increase! This means the 982 Spyder will be priced in the 90s for base! Meaning to option one as my current 981 Spyder will be closer to $130-140!!!... especially with the new PTS premium. Reasons to upgrade are getting thin. All stars aligned with my 981 Spyder and I don’t want another regret. Who’d thought I would keep my Spyder this long... I know many of you had bets I wouldn’t last a few months.
damn thats one heck of a price increase.

Oh the betting pool is still active, every one put in $100 and picked a month/year.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

this please -
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510

Ouch!!!
Base price for the 981 GTS Boxster was $74,600. That’s a $7300 increase! This means the 982 Spyder will be priced in the 90s for base! Meaning to option one as my current 981 Spyder will be closer to $130-140!!!... especially with the new PTS premium. Reasons to upgrade are getting thin. All stars aligned with my 981 Spyder and I don’t want another regret. Who’d thought I would keep my Spyder this long... I know many of you had bets I wouldn’t last a few months.

Yup... That should keep the value of my car up and the number of buyers down...
Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Yup... That should keep the value of my car up and the number of buyers down...
ROFL. The video is just ... wow. When they're not talking to each other, apparently via subspace communications, they're playing cheesy Olive Garden dinner music. Anything to keep the sound of the actual cars out of the video.

Gotta love the 'XX' and 'XY' messaging on the license plates, too.

This is a company whose best days -- and best cars -- are behind it.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Press release said 35HP over 981 Cayman and Boxster, and it's only 25 on the former. Anyway, my biggest detraction from the 718 is it looks more feminine than ever, and that didn't improve with the GTS variants. At least previous GTSs look a lot more aggressive than regular models, with their bland round 'fog' lights. But a very close second is that engine, especially with sport exhaust; I only wouldn't want it amplifying a bad sound. Nor do I prefer a turbo with max torque almost at idle over a proper NA engine, even if less powerful. And finally, the ugly HVAC vents and chrono location look just awful, so no amount of positives (very few) would draw me to this car. Not even close. But wish Porsche success in the future. I also fully agree 981 GTSs were the best of the breed by quite a bit.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:48 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
ROFL. The video is just ... wow. When they're not talking to each other, apparently via subspace communications, they're playing cheesy Olive Garden dinner music. Anything to keep the sound of the actual cars out of the video.

Gotta love the 'XX' and 'XY' messaging on the license plates, too.

This is a company whose best days -- and best cars -- are behind it.
that video is garbage.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a company whose best days -- and best cars -- are behind it. That might be a little over the top. I do agree with everyone else though, the pricing is so fierce if I were looking it would be used for certain.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My god...that is such an ugly looking Porsche.

My main beef with the 718 is not the 4 cylinder engine but the ugly styling. Look at that hideous front bumper and those quirky rear lights.

The 981 looks so beautiful (Italian like) and yet the 718 looks so German or even Japanese/Korean.

Get real. Give us the Spyder and the GT4 quickly (with motorsports styling) or enthusiast will just forget about this platform for good.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:43 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I like that the Porsche Track Precision App will be offered on these GTS models - I wonder if that might work its way to all Porsche sports cars soon?

I’m curious to test drive one, I’m already playing around with the new configurator
Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't mind the fake suede. Sometimes I find a cabin full of a bunch of stitched skins a little morbid lol.

The new GTS is almost as expensive as the 981 Spyder was two years ago and almost has the same horse power too? It even looks like it has the same profile in its boxster form as the spyder.

Really curious about the next spyder!? If it has a 4.0, then I don't need a GT3. I need to find out soon! Help!

As far as the 4 pot. I really would love to hear about a 981 spyder and 718 GTS comparison if anyone has access to drive both back to back...?

Fossil fuels are on their way out (read the fake news lol) and technology is ever moving forward. I'm interested in the $188k E Sport Wagon but that is just me. How long do those batteries last?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:28 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 981 Spyder and I've now test driven both a 718 Cayman S manual and a 718 Boxster S manual. I was very impressed with the Cayman S which I drove first a few months ago, but when I drove the Boxster S a few days ago, back to back with my Spyder, I was very unimpressed. It had significant turbo lag and it was easy to unsettle the suspension. It wasn't nearly as cohesive a package as the 981 Spyder.
It's settled the question for me as to whether I should consider adding a Cayman S or GTS, or pocket some cash and trade for a 718 Boxster S. No way Jose. Not in the cards for me.
But I still hope to add a GT3 manual next year - not sure I'll even like it as much as the Spyder - feeling like a mid engine convert - but it's a bucket list thing.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:40 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Fossil fuels are on their way out (read the fake news lol) and technology is ever moving forward. I'm interested in the $188k E Sport Wagon but that is just me. How long do those batteries last?
Worth reiterating that the 4-banger doesn't save any fuel in the real world, or in US EPA testing. (I know that's not what you meant.)

It does save heavy tax penalties in China and other markets more important to Porsche than the US. And it saves 911 sales that would otherwise have been lost to the lower-margin two-seaters (meaning non-GT/Spyder cars).

That's about it.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
As for alcantara, again, not my taste. Apparently, it doesn't wear that well, either./QUOTE]

The biggest issue with alcantara that I have seen is with body oils causing matting. On a steering wheel or gear shifter matting occurs very quickly. On the Spyder i went with leather on the steering wheel and shifter.. On the seats and door panels if you regularly vacuum and wipe with a cloth lightly moistened matting should not occur. That said, if I could have gotten leather on the seats in the classic interior package I would have.
Sonax foaming alcantara cleaner works wonders. The alcantara steering wheel on my wife's JCW Cooper S was all oily and matted down after 5 years of neglect. I applied the cleaner, gave it a few minutes to soak, agitated with a soft toothbrush, and wiped off with a wet cloth. The yellow cloth turned black. After letting the wheel dry over night I gave it another quick fluff with the toothbrush and it's good as new. I was actually surprised as I thought it was totaled after all the hand oils and dirt getting worked into it. I no longer have any concerns for upkeep and durability of the interior in my GTS.

Last edited by Scooby921; 10-19-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 718 GTS Official Release!