Sponsored by:

718 Boxster: noises from (inside?) the top

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:50 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 718 Boxster: noises from (inside?) the top

I have a 718 Boxster S with about 5,000 miles on it. The car is fantastic and build quality is amazing.

Except that, when the top is up, there is a lot of creaking / rubbing noise coming from what sounds like the top mechanism inside the fabric. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but definitely has something to do with the top.

It's not that bad in absolute terms but it's rather inconsistent with the rock-solid quality of the rest of the car. This is my first convertible. Is this normal or should I have the dealer take a look?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:03 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

I had a 981 boxter S for 4 month only , drove it around 2000 miles and did not notice any creaking from top.
drove 7108 BS on track at Porsche driving school, did not notice any noise at that time , but probably could have missed them with all the track noises if they existed
Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
I have a 718 Boxster S with about 5,000 miles on it. The car is fantastic and build quality is amazing.

Except that, when the top is up, there is a lot of creaking / rubbing noise coming from what sounds like the top mechanism inside the fabric. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but definitely has something to do with the top.

It's not that bad in absolute terms but it's rather inconsistent with the rock-solid quality of the rest of the car. This is my first convertible. Is this normal or should I have the dealer take a look?
I have a 5 month old 718 Boxster and notice the creaking noises too. My dealership said it's normal but it's noticeable with hot weather (where I live is humid all year long)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think it is normal, at least based on my experiences with 981, 987 and 986. If your local dealer can't figure out, try another. As you mentioned, build quality is rock solid;and, it applies to top as well. Ask the service advisor to ride with you if that helps to explain.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:27 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Do any of you with noises happen to have window tint film on your side windows? I noticed that my previously silent Boxster immediately started making noises right after the window tint was installed (and no, the installers never even had to open or move the top), which leads me to believe that the film has somehow physically changed the way the joint surfaces interface somehow. It could just be a simple difference in coefficient in friction, where 2 surfaces which were grabby before are now permitted to slide and rub together, creating a chirp noise. That's my theory anyway.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Leicht
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
I don't think it is normal, at least based on my experiences with 981, 987 and 986. If your local dealer can't figure out, try another. As you mentioned, build quality is rock solid;and, it applies to top as well. Ask the service advisor to ride with you if that helps to explain.
There is only 1 Porsche Dealership in my country but I brought up the issue with them and they will accompany me driving around to listen if it's normal or not.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:45 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Leicht
There is only 1 Porsche Dealership in my country......
Curious to know which country. If you don't want to share, that's cool. Good luck figuring out the issue. It would be annoying to drive with rattling noises from the top.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:41 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Only with the top up? How about with the top up and the windows cracked open?

(I like the window/rubber gasket 'sticktion' idea of gearFX. I had the same on a Subaru--without the window film. A bit of talcum powder on a rag buffed into the rubber and upper edge of the window cured it. I have a 718 Boxster with film and no noise.)

Greg

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster: noises from (inside?) the top