Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder from gen2 BS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 987 Spyder from gen2 BS

Hi All

I’m the very happy owner of a 981 Spyder, which I love very much :-)

But recently I’ve purchased the above 987.2 BS as a stablemate, with the intention of creating as near as possible, as 987 Spyder with a conventional roof. For use as my toy for commuting to work / heading to the store etc....

Being a Sport Design Package car, it already has the Spyder wheels, coloured roll over bar, side intakes, aero front and back etc.
It’s also a 6 speed with full leather, but no buckets unfortunately !

No PSAM, as my next plan (after adding the Cayman R decals....) is to add the Spyder suspension kit.

My question is how close to a real Spyder do you think this will take my car ?
I know it’s carrying a good 80kg more weight of which a lot of that is in the roof mechanism.

Any thoughts.......

Cheers

Last edited by Boxster7; 10-12-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

As a daily driver I think you'll find it too be a perfect mix between the two cars.

I'm curious, why didn't you go with the full side stripe that goes to the rear arch?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting project! Curious to know how far you intend to go with your "intention of creating as near as possible," a 987 Spyder with a conventional roof. For instance, aluminum doors on the Spyder are said to save 33 lbs. over the BS and the aluminum rear deck lid on the Spyder apparently saves 6.5 lbs. over the BS. Would you go so far as to replace the doors and deck lid?

I'm thinking it's weight-savings measures such as these that will narrow the feel and performance gap between the Spyder and the BS, but narrowing that gap will not come cheap and at some point I imagine cost-benefit factors will come into play. Replicating X73 on the BS alone might get you close enough to where you want to be.

Good luck with this project
Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As a daily driver I think you'll find it too be a perfect mix between the two cars.

I'm curious, why didn't you go with the full side stripe that goes to the rear arch?
With the design package you get the black mirrors and side intakes, as per the Cayman R, so to me the Cayman stripe works better.
As I'm not trying to convince anyone this really is a Spyder, (I won’t be putting a Spyder badge on the back) I think this all ties in nicely.

thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Interesting project! Curious to know how far you intend to go with your "intention of creating as near as possible," a 987 Spyder with a conventional roof. For instance, aluminum doors on the Spyder are said to save 33 lbs. over the BS and the aluminum rear deck lid on the Spyder apparently saves 6.5 lbs. over the BS. Would you go so far as to replace the doors and deck lid?

I'm thinking it's weight-savings measures such as these that will narrow the feel and performance gap between the Spyder and the BS, but narrowing that gap will not come cheap and at some point I imagine cost-benefit factors will come into play. Replicating X73 on the BS alone might get you close enough to where you want to be.

Good luck with this project
Cheers SJ
I think “creating as near as possible” may be a bit misleading.... I’m very aware of the dangers of spending too much cash I would never see again.
the X73 and and good geo is my main concern at the moment. I think some after market headers and Carnewals switch to keep the PSE permanently open will also happen very soon (after the 981 every car is too quiet now ! ). Also want a Sports design steering wheel, as I find the standard black one too big and bulky after the perfect 981 wheel...

I will do the above and see where that takes me. May be then find a Porsche buddy with a 987 Spyder to try a back to back drive...

Will update laters to see how this goes.

thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 12:03 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have a Boxster S and thought about upgrading to Spyder specs with bolt on mods. In addition to the X73 suspension, you could add a Porsche limited slip differential or even a Guards LSD if you want don't mind the extra cost.

A Spyder exhaust would also be nice since the diameter is slightly larger than the exhaust in the BS. Not sure if the Spyder headers are the same as those in the BS. People have also upgraded to the Fabspeed headers and exhaust.

The downside is the cost of the X73 suspension, LSD, and exhaust may end up costing up to $10000. And now you are in Spyder territory. Of course the goofy top is a deal breaker for some. For me, the Boxster S is so good as is that I can't justify these mods.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder from gen2 BS