Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:46 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Highly doubly they will drop in the 4.0 for the same reason they didn’t drop the GT3 3.8L. The 4.0 was specifically built for the GT3. Would be nice if they did.
But weren't there rumors or hints about a NA 718 Spyder?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
NA yes, 4.0 just rumors... nothing more.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
NY Auto show seems awfully soon, given that GTS deliveries will have basically just started at that point...
LA Auto Show works for me since that' my new base city.

Just need to wax on about seeing the 981 Spyder at the 2015? NYAUTO SHOW. It was the best thing there! All white and roped off and floating on a turntable. I lived in West Chelsea back then and just down the street from Javits center and right down the street from Manhattan Motorcars where George Gobrial took my information down for a 981 Spyder Order. I later bought a second one when Allocations were coming to a close. Great time for Porsche. i feel like 15,16 are golden years for Porsche.

LOL way back in 2015-16.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
For sure, but 4.0 crazy rumor .....Porsche goes that they just pissed off 911 owners. 4.0 Spyder will out perform all 911’s minus the turbo.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
I know... Pretty ridiculous... and I agree... the GT4 isn’t a true GT car either... more a parts bin special. Doesn’t mean it isn’t an amazing car though as is the Spyder.
Disagree. GT4 has same front suspension and same brakes x 4 as GT3, and modification of rear suspension components due to anticipated track work n

GT4 is considered a true GT car by AP and Porsche. True it lacked a bespoke engine or transmission in the first gen, but Porsche was uncertain of its future sales.

Expect a bespoke transmission and better NA engine in second gen GT4.

Spyder is a different story. It’s a special but not GT car. turbo or NA might be in the next one.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Drifting
Disagree. GT4 has same front suspension and same brakes x 4 as GT3, and modification of rear suspension components due to anticipated track work n

GT4 is considered a true GT car by AP and Porsche. True it lacked a bespoke engine or transmission in the first gen, but Porsche was uncertain of its future sales.

Spyder is a different story. It’s a special but not GT car. turbo or NA might be in the next one.
You just proved my point... it was a parts bin car. Yes the parts are from another GT car, but none of them were created fresh specifically for the GT4 and GT4 only.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

All true facts. I owned a GT4 and I now own a 981 Spyder. The Spyder feels faster, maybe cause it’s slightly lighter, more likely because it just sounds faster and feels faster with top down.

Brakes on both, which are steels in both cases for the ones I owned/own, are spectacular either way despite the bigger diameter on GT4. Probably could only tell a positive difference for GT4 with aggressive track driving after several laps. For very spirited street driving in the mountains, which I’ve done, I can’t tell a difference. same goes for the bespoke suspension in GT4 vs Spyder. They both felt excellent to me, and I can’t recall the GT4 suspension feeling anymore confidence inspiring than the Spyder. But I can feel that the GT4 suspension was firmer, that is, less comfortable, even in standard (not sport) suspension setting. Spyder has fixed suspension and still feels great but is more comfortable than GT4 I think.

Here is hoping for the NA 4.0L motor and 6-speed manual from the GT3 in the next GT4 and Spyder.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

GT or not, I expect to see the same engine/tranny combo in Spyder as in GT4. When you say 'bespoke', a highly modified/detuned one from current production model? Truly bespoke for a low volume model, that complies to current and imminent regs, could be pretty expensive. It then needs to be federalized/crash-tested. Not a good value proposition.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

You just proved my point... it was a parts bin car. Yes the parts are from another GT car, but none of them were created fresh specifically for the GT4 and GT4 only.
the rear suspension in GT4 was bespoke GT stuff developed just for GT4. see Chris Harris DRIVE video from when GT4 was first introduced. There is a tech session with GT4 up on lift with A.P. Himself explaining it.

but yes, otherwise a parts bin exeecise. A very good one though.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:56 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

I’m not, nor never said the GT4 wasn’t an amazing Porsche. Super glad Porsche blessed us with it. Just want to clear up that it’s not a bespoke GT car like it’s 911 siblings that are actually built by the GT division.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:02 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_rider
GT or not, I expect to see the same engine/tranny combo in Spyder as in GT4. When you say 'bespoke', a highly modified/detuned one from current production model? Truly bespoke for a low volume model, that complies to current and imminent regs, could be pretty expensive. It then needs to be federalized/crash-tested. Not a good value proposition.
Yup... I agree.
it will be interesting to see what the demand is this next go around with the GT3 Manual in the mix. A lot of GT4s are currently for sale... many jumping to the GT3.

I would expect demand to be equal or slightly lower than the 981? Could be wrong. The Porsche world was different back at the GT4 debut. May be not though... as this might be the last of the NA Flat 6’s... oh wait.... haven’t I heard that before?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m not, nor never said the GT4 wasn’t an amazing Porsche. Super glad Porsche blessed us with it. Just want to clear up that it’s not a bespoke GT car like it’s 911 siblings that are actually built by the GT division.

AP stated, and correctly quoted (by lapis) that MANY of the GT4 components are bespoke and don't share its parts with either the 911 nor 981.

Is AP not the director of the GT division?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

I know... Pretty ridiculous... and I agree... the GT4 isn’t a true GT car either... more a parts bin special. Doesn’t mean it isn’t an amazing car though as is the Spyder.
Parts bin; bespoke; whatever. Why is it so difficult for you to say that the GT4 is a ‘GT’ car and that the Spyder is not? Silly...

Feel free to post references to support your position.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:51 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Just want to clear up that it’s not a bespoke GT car like it’s 911 siblings that are actually built by the GT division.
GT4 was built by the GT division, the Spyder was not. That itself defines which car is a true GT car and which is not.

Another reason the next gen Spyder might go turbo while the next GT4 stays NA.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:51 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Parts bin; bespoke; whatever. Why is it so difficult for you to say that the GT4 is a ‘GT’ car and that the Spyder is not? Silly...

Feel free to post references to support your position.
Oh Gawd... never said the Spyder was a GT car... glad it’s not... never meant to be. I’m just stating that all other GT cars are Designed, Developed and Manufactured by the GT division. You can’t say the same for the GT4. I will take back my comment that I said it wasn’t a GT car... It’s just more of a parts bin GT car... nothing wrong with that... still a great car!

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.