Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my Dream Car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:33 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Selling my Dream Car?

Just a year ago, I purchased my first Porsche, a 2015 Cayman S. White, 6-speed, perfectly speced with PSE/PASM/SC. It was a meaningful moment and put a capstone on way too many years of education. Buying it knowing I was going to move was a bit short-sighted, but that's behind me. I started a new job this past summer in a major city and live downtown. I now drive the car even less than I thought I would, as I can walk/uber/lyft most everywhere. I'm currently only driving the car on the weekend, if that, to make sure that it doesn't sit too much. I smile every time I drive it, but admittedly, it's getting less and less frequent. I'll be living in the city for at least the next few years.

Has anyone run in to a similar situation? Should I think about selling it now or in the spring? Should I hold on to it? I've never gotten rid of a car after a year and it seems so soon.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I would keep it, maybe do some track days or auto cross to really get the most out of your time with the car. I am in the "they don't make them like they used to camp," and feel that the flat 6 caymans will be classics. You will regret selling it at some point.

If it doesn't make sense for you to own it at this time in your life, I would wait to sell until the spring. Winter is a tough time to sell a sports car like a cayman.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I lived and worked in NYC for a number of years and always had a car. Usually only driven on weekends. I always found it relaxing to drive the roads of Long Island, upstate NY, CT and northern NJ. If the budget allows (and it CAN be expensive!), I'd keep it. If you do decide to sell, late winter/early spring is the time if you want to maximize the price. Good luck agonizing your decision.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:57 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say the majority of owners (including me) use our Caymans like you do: just for recreational driving. So there's nothing wrong, or out of the ordinary about that. But if you can't really afford it, or it's causing stress at home, then it wouldn't be worth keeping it. Depends in your situation. Good luck man.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:15 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T2, Early spring is a good time to list a car as many potential new owners are living where it's almost time for storage season. You can always keep her if you don't get the right offers and there will always be more dream cars. I understand what you're feeling, if I lived downtown Atl I'd be less enthusiastic about having a sports car at all, I'd probably get a camouflage Hummer.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:26 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main issue with waiting to sell it in 2018 is the car will be another year older, and like it or not, will lose some value.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:57 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks guys. The car isn't an issue financially and I have garage parking, it's just that it seems like such a waste to wash/wax it every few weeks just to have it sit and not be driven. The thing that's stopping me is that it's such a great car to drive, although I'm sure there'll be other cars down the road. Interesting that opinions seem pretty split down the middle.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:26 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Most of these types of cars are third, fourth, etc. cars so low use is nothing unusual.

If you love the car, keep it. Else sell it and try something else when the time is right.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Just a year ago, I purchased my first Porsche, a 2015 Cayman S. ...
I'm currently only driving the car on the weekend, if that, to make sure that it doesn't sit too much. ....
I only drive my Cayman on the weekend and for trackdays.

I have 3 cars, 1 for the daily weekday mundane trips, the Cayman, and an SLK. The weekends are split between the SLK and the Cayman.

If you can afford the car, why sell it and then regret it later when you can't find one?

If parking and the monthly payment for the car are too much, than that is a different issue.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
The main issue with waiting to sell it in 2018 is the car will be another year older, and like it or not, will lose some value.
That would be true if the manufacturer hadn't kneecapped its successor. As it stands, you (ToasterThief) have a very special car, among the last of a long line of them. Nothing like it can be bought today for less than $200K.

In any case, wait until spring and see if you still want to sell. Don't try to sell a sports car in the fall/winter unless it's necessary for budgetary reasons. Depreciation on well-kept 981s is not going to be a big problem going forward. Porsche has seen to that.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:39 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That would be true if the manufacturer hadn't kneecapped its successor. As it stands, you (ToasterThief) have a very special car, among the last of a long line of them. Nothing like it can be bought today for less than $200K
Sorry chief but for less than $200k you can buy many cars that will bring a cayman s to its knees. In fact you could find and buy the same car as the OP for easily under $70k if not $65k all day long.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:20 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Sorry chief but for less than $200k you can buy many cars that will bring a cayman s to its knees. In fact you could find and buy the same car as the OP for easily under $70k if not $65k all day long.
Including it's successor, the 718.

Maybe I have a different understanding of what "kneecapped" means....
Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nothing can replace it for under 200 k .....ninja pleeezzzz........he has to mean 20 grand ......and even then ........more ninja pleeezzz
Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it, you called it your dream car ;-). Unless you made up your mind. My P car is toy and it's only job is to make me smile nothing about it makes sense.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Originally Posted by extanker
nothing can replace it for under 200 k .....ninja pleeezzzz........he has to mean 20 grand ......and even then ........more ninja pleeezzz
LOL. I hope you magazine racers never come across a modern Camaro or Mustang on the street, if you think that all it takes to "replace" a six-cylinder Porsche is better numbers.

Quick Reply: Selling my Dream Car?