Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder front end damage while at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

My dealer here (POTML) has a huge entry angle -- looks to be worse than that. I'm similarly shocked, but convinced their service dept put them up to it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The OP must be an extremely polite person, to a fault.

I would be talking to the manager of the dealer, reminding them of the business I have given them over the years, and telling them that their driveway will no longer be a problem for me as I won’t be going there again.

They should at least meet you halfway on the repair. And for f*$#@ sake, fix the car properly!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Just bought the OEM lips... I'm working on the right fix. I'm guessing since the previous owner installed a non-oem/aftermarket spoiler which I realize now they are not going to feel all that motivated. From what I understand, the OEM lips would not have had this issue. Oh well, first world problems.

Honestly the body damage itself is really minimal - paint is cracked/chipped all over where they mounted the aftermarket spoiler. Luckily as quick as I am at brake jobs... I'm 10x better at body having worked on fiberglass for the past 25 years pretty regularly. It will take me less time to work on the cosmetics than driving to the dealer, and it will be hardly noticeable.

Had this been the OEM lips and more extensive damage, I think I'd push them a lot harder. They treated me very well when I had my RS60, particularly when under warranty.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:30 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
My dealer here (POTML) has a huge entry angle -- looks to be worse than that. I'm similarly shocked, but convinced their service dept put them up to it.
Been there, done that!! Their palace (aka showroom) sits on top of a VERY STEEP hill. My first and only experience with that driveway was driving my M3 that I wanted to trade. My thought was that they'd want to knock money off the trade due to excessive damage to the front spoiler. As it turned out they didn't seem eager to make a deal and I took my business else ware.

OBTW, there was no sign to indicate the steep approach.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Next time you have your car in for service or repairs you should get the Cayman loaner and zip right on through that dip. Let them deal with it.

Walt
Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Damn, looking at all of those scrape marks on the asphalt and driveway, it took a lot of prisoners.

Sorry to hear about the damage. Driving a low car becomes an extra instinct. You have to over anticipate where you want to go and scan the road ahead of potential hazards on top of your normal defensive driving.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be funny Walt, till they bill you anyhow.....
Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I test drove a car there and have had my lowered 718 in and out of there. I didn't scrape but I went at an angle and it was fine. Most of those scrapes are from trailers. Also the other entrance is a little better. The couple times I have been there to just look I don't even go in the parking lot and just park on the side street.

Quick Reply: Spyder front end damage while at the dealer