Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro plate frame question

Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Smile Euro plate frame question

Hi. I'm new to Porsche and just picked up the new (to me) 2015 Boxster S last week. The car came with the front license plate frame and the dealer told me that there were holes in the bumper to secure it. I was told it would cost me $400 to plug the holes and paint. The problem is that the front plate is required in NJ and I may have to show it at the time of state inspection. If I have the holes plugged, I will have to come up with some other way to mount the front plate when necessary.

I think the Euro front plate looks much better on the car than the U.S. plate. After all, the car must have been designed with the Euro plate in mind. So, if the Euro plate frame uses the exact same holes as the U.S. plate frame, I can run the Euro plate and easily swap to the U.S. plate when it is necessary.

Does anyone know the following Euro plate frame uses the same holes for the U.S. plate frame?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU981EUROPF.html

TIA
Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by storii

Hi. I'm new to Porsche and just picked up the new (to me) 2015 Boxster S last week. The car came with the front license plate frame and the dealer told me that there were holes in the bumper to secure it. I was told it would cost me $400 to plug the holes and paint. The problem is that the front plate is required in NJ and I may have to show it at the time of state inspection. If I have the holes plugged, I will have to come up with some other way to mount the front plate when necessary.

I think the Euro front plate looks much better on the car than the U.S. plate. After all, the car must have been designed with the Euro plate in mind. So, if the Euro plate frame uses the exact same holes as the U.S. plate frame, I can run the Euro plate and easily swap to the U.S. plate when it is necessary.

Does anyone know the following Euro plate frame uses the same holes for the U.S. plate frame?

TIA

Tow hook mounts use the towhook fitting hidden behind the small cap toward the passenger side of the bumper,

Tow hook plate mounts are available from a wide variety of auto accessory suppliers. This is an OEM version, but there are similar generic ones for much less than this price:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...0aAgmjEALw_wcB
Old 10-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by storii

TIA

Congrats on the Boxster, looks great!

There are a few good options to eliminate the front plate and still get through the yearly inspection.

Bumperplugs makes plugs that will fill the bumper hole with plugs that are painted body color. They look good and paint match is excellent.

To reinstall the plate during inspection time you can go with something like this which threads into your front tow hook opening. https://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=1121
Old 10-07-2017, 08:46 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not the same holes. Look at the two photos. The euro model uses two screws in the middle top to bottom of the bumper. The US one uses 4 screws near the top and bottom of the bumper.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsykes
They are not the same holes. Look at the two photos. The euro model uses two screws in the middle top to bottom of the bumper. The US one uses 4 screws near the top and bottom of the bumper.

Gaaa!! You are right. I just removed the frame and there were 4 holes on the bumper. Why would they do that ??? This means that, if I want to run the Euro plate, I will have to drill 2 more holes? It's insane!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never ran front plate in NY on three different Porsche cars, never pulled over for missing plate. Thank god GA doesn't play that, no need to ruin the looks of the front end.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Guess the only recourse that I have is to have the holes plugged and to run the hook mount when I need to. Thank you for your inputs.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:26 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Even if you got a ducket for no front plate, it's not going to be a moving violation, I'd find out the fine for such an infraction and call it a risk. It's far more likely if you get nailed for speeding and the officer is pissed, the plate might end up an add on ticket.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:25 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Even if you got a ducket for no front plate, it's not going to be a moving violation, I'd find out the fine for such an infraction and call it a risk. It's far more likely if you get nailed for speeding and the officer is pissed, the plate might end up an add on ticket.
Right. I wouldn't mind a ticket for missing front plate at all. I would consider it as a price to look good. It is just that I may have to show the front plate to pass the state inspection every two years.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:36 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Copy that, we had our own inspection license for NYS, woopsie it was on there the day I inspected it Mr State Inspector...lol
Old 10-08-2017, 06:44 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Why don't you check with a local motor vehicle inspection station to see whether the presence of a front license plate is an item of inspection?

As was said by the guy from Georgia, it's probably more likely that you'll get a ticket for not displaying a front license plate on your car than flunking an inspection.

Last edited by jdavis8361; 10-08-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

It's probably part of the inspection, been a long time so the rules I knew have evolved and it is a different state. However, one can easily use the tow hook access and dope out a plate holder for inspection day.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

I had been pretty set to plug the holes and get a hook mount holder in time for the state inspection in about 2 years. And then my German friend who is coming to NYC this months offered to bring an expired German plate for my car....
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

So you're going to put the Euro style holder on and use an expired German plate front and current NJ plate rear? That might get unwanted attention...
Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
So you're going to put the Euro style holder on and use an expired German plate front and current NJ plate rear? That might get unwanted attention...
You think so? I think, as far as the authority is concerned, they should take no plate or Euro plate in the same way. A ticket is a ticket. No?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euro plate frame question