Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help filling/bleeding coolant 2014 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:54 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Help filling/bleeding coolant 2014 Boxster S

My friend stopped by today with the low coolant light blinking. We opened the fil cap in the rear trunk and no pressure while still warm?? The little pink turkey popper was flat down.
I put a U-View vacuum system on the inner opening and could not get vacuum, is that normal?
I have used this system to fill many 996 and a couple of Mercedes so I'm fairly confident in using it.

We finally poured ~ 1 quart in and the fill indicator rose to the top "max" position.

What is the procedure for 2014 Boxster fill? Do you have to pull the engine cover and fill at the reservoir?
Thank you for any help.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
My friend stopped by today with the low coolant light blinking. We opened the fil cap in the rear trunk and no pressure while still warm?? The little pink turkey popper was flat down.
I put a U-View vacuum system on the inner opening and could not get vacuum, is that normal?
I have used this system to fill many 996 and a couple of Mercedes so I'm fairly confident in using it.

We finally poured ~ 1 quart in and the fill indicator rose to the top "max" position.

What is the procedure for 2014 Boxster fill? Do you have to pull the engine cover and fill at the reservoir?
Thank you for any help.
Unless you were flushing the coolant system or replacing a bunch of coolant lost to a repair or to leakage, all you needed to do is top off the coolant when the engine is cool. I got the low coolant warning light once on my Cayman, added about a pint of distilled water, and never had another problem. The indicator turkey popper is not very accurate as it tends to get hung up.

When we added a third radiator, and had to replace about half the coolant, it was necessary to vacuum bleed air bubbles from the system by attaching the vacuum device to the fill port under the engine cover, with the adjacent bleed valve open.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok so we needed to go a little "deeper" and open the engine cover. My original intent was to pull a vacuum and hold to see if there were leaks. If he has to add again we will dig deeper.
Thank you.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 981, but I'm almost certain it's the same as the 987 where the pressure cap in the engine bay has vacuum relief (to let air back into the system as the coolant cools down and contracts).

So you can't stick a vacuum fill tool on the fill port in the rear trunk: you need to put it on the expansion tank in the engine bay.

Last edited by MrMoose; 10-07-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

All new cars have air pockets in their cooling systems, but my 981 had more than any other by far. If you never top off your reservoir on a 981 from new, you'd eventually get a warning. That's because the amount of air inside the system seems to be larger than the reservoir size, so once there's no fluid in the reservoir, you start losing water (vapor) little by little. I had to put about 1/2-qt on my car with only 9 miles on the clock. And total of about 1 qt, when system fully stabilized. It takes dozens of full cold-hot-cold cycles to fully purge the system from air, so keep watching it until fully stable. And that goes to those adding coolant as well.

Quick Reply: Help filling/bleeding coolant 2014 Boxster S