Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 621 Likes on 395 Posts

As our Porsche wheel development is chugging along at a fast pace, please note that the survey is still up and running. If you haven't already, please take 5 minutes to share your preferences!

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides
Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Upon hearing that APEX is entering the Porsche world, one of our former BMW clients contacted us with fantastic news; he had moved onto a beautiful Sapphire Blue GT4. He was generous enough to loan us his car to take specific measurements of the GT4 chassis, suspension geometry, brake clearance, and test fit an APEX wheel(s).

A few neat pictures can be seen below -

..."Pointing" at the LCA toe link

Old 11-15-2017, 08:31 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier
Big APEX fan, had a set on my E92s, great wheels! best value in the industry.

Option 2, my Cayman has a rusty center hub area up front where the wheel hangs on, and while track wheels aren't about aesthetics per se, I'd like to use them both on road and track and not see that rusty center crud.

Are there different designs for the wheel you're considering or is it just this one?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 981.CS
Big APEX fan, had a set on my E92s, great wheels! best value in the industry.

Option 2, my Cayman has a rusty center hub area up front where the wheel hangs on, and while track wheels aren't about aesthetics per se, I'd like to use them both on road and track and not see that rusty center crud.

Are there different designs for the wheel you're considering or is it just this one?
Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your past APEX success!

The center-cap accommodation seems to be the community-wide common consensus, so thanks for sharing your preferences!

We're initially going to be offering the EC-7 & SM-10. The SM-10/EC-7 will be of the few 18" VIA/ JWL certified wheels on the market that can clear an OEM & Brembo 380mm BBK, with our 19" wheels shooting for 410mm brake acceptance.

The design of our proposed Porsche wheels lend themselves to proper brake clearance, minimal weight, and an emphasis on strength optimization. We want to solve the market's pain points by producing a wheel in typically built-to-order fitments but stock them in-house, make them budget-friendly, strong, and lightweight in nature; all without compromise.

The two proposed designs are subject to marginally change as this is not just a simple re-drill project. The center pad may be re-designed to accommodate the larger 5x130 bolt pattern and the spoke curvature/length may be altered, too... All TBD shortly. In the future, we will explore other new wheel designs feasibility.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is the first round of renderings, so I know this isn't directly applicable to this subsection - but just a hint of what's to come! Here's some visual excitement for your Monday - a sneak peek of satin black APEX SM-10 on a Sharkwerks 3.9L GT3RS - Enjoy!

Please feel free to reach out with any inquiries and/or questions.

There will be more wheel finishes posted this coming week, so stay tuned!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a sneak peek of a Cayman R on 18" Anthracite SM-10; this rendering closely resembles 18x9" ET44 (profile 1 concavity), 18x10" ET38 (profile 2 concavity).

We have silver and satin black ready to show, so please let me know if you'd like to see!

Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Here's a sneak peek of a Cayman R on 18" Anthracite SM-10; this rendering closely resembles 18x9" ET44 (profile 1 concavity), 18x10" ET38 (profile 2 concavity).

We have silver and satin black ready to show, so please let me know if you'd like to see!

Looks great on the Cayman!! What size tires are on the car? Has the car been driving at track forces to check for rubbing?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gman3280
Looks great on the Cayman!! What size tires are on the car? Has the car been driving at track forces to check for rubbing?
Thank you, sir! They're Bridgestone RE71R in 235/40/18 front, 275/35/18 rear. Keep in mind, the image(s) above are renderings and the actual wheel specifications on the car are not our proposed sizes. The APEX specifications stated above provide the sizes that the renderings directly resemble in terms of concavity profile. We'll be producing a few different wheel fitments for enthusiasts to choose from; anywhere from stock plug n' play to a track-oriented, camber necessary. Both will not rub under compression subject to tire size/compound/ride height, etc.

I have updated the original post to include all three wheel finishes.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are the other finishes shown on a beautiful Cayman R and 997 GT3RS.

Shown below are our 18" APEX SM-10 in profile 1 (front) concavity and profile 2 (rear) concavity.

Satin black -

Race Silver -

Seen below are our 19" APEX SM-10 in profile 1 (front) concavity and profile 3 (rear) concavity.

Anthracite -

Race Silver -

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel