Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tractive Dampers Camber Adjustment

Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM
His987CS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tractive Dampers Camber Adjustment

Hi, As I understand it, the Tractive front dampers have a dual pattern bolt hole arrangement on the upper mounting brackets, allowing for a wider range of camber adjustment. I have an 08 Cayman S and am interested in installing the TPC bars, drop and toe links, GT3 LCAs, along with the DSC controller and Tractive dampers. Can some one tell me the range of negative camber adjustment for both hole patterns on the upper mounting plate? (i.e. is it something like 0 to -2 degrees using one hole pattern and -2 to -4 degrees using the other?)

TIA
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have Tractives on my 06 and love them. I can't answer your question about the camber plate but you'd probably get a quicker answer in the DSC discussion thread or emailing Harris directly.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

The camber range of the Tractive camber plates is exactly the same the OEM GT3/Cup plates. Dimensionally it is same as OEM GT3/Cup plates. The difference is Tractive plates are billet aluminum instead of the OEM cast aluminum. Same as OEM plates, if you want 4 degrees you need to use the "race" pattern along with GT3 or Cup LCA's.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:28 PM
His987CS
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The camber range of the Tractive camber plates is exactly the same the OEM GT3/Cup plates. Dimensionally it is same as OEM GT3/Cup plates. The difference is Tractive plates are billet aluminum instead of the OEM cast aluminum. Same as OEM plates, if you want 4 degrees you need to use the "race" pattern along with GT3 or Cup LCA's.
Hey Tom, Thanks.

But if NOTusing the 'Race' pattern, what is the range, what is the max camber achievable using the 'Non-Race' pattern? I am looking for about 3 degrees on the front. Is that doable using either pattern?

TIA
Old 09-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by His987CS
Hey Tom, Thanks.

But if NOTusing the 'Race' pattern, what is the range, what is the max camber achievable using the 'Non-Race' pattern? I am looking for about 3 degrees on the front. Is that doable using either pattern?

TIA
You have adjustable LCA's so the recommendation is to use the non race pattern set to the middle of it's range and set the prefered camber with the LCA's. Then you can fine tune at the track with the camber plates. If you max out the camber plates first, then you have to change shims for minor tuning adjustments which takes a lot more time for most people. Plus, changing shims requires re-adjusting the toe after, whereas not changing shims and making a minor change at the tower does not alter toe.

Also, the non race pattern is preferred for the better castor angle. The race pattern increases castor more than many prefer. Too much castor not only affects handling, but can also cause the tires to rub during turns
Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 AM
His987CS
AutoX

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
You have adjustable LCA's so the recommendation is to use the non race pattern set to the middle of it's range and set the prefered camber with the LCA's. Then you can fine tune at the track with the camber plates. If you max out the camber plates first, then you have to change shims for minor tuning adjustments which takes a lot more time for most people. Plus, changing shims requires re-adjusting the toe after, whereas not changing shims and making a minor change at the tower does not alter toe.

Also, the non race pattern is preferred for the better castor angle. The race pattern increases castor more than many prefer. Too much castor not only affects handling, but can also cause the tires to rub during turns
Hey Thanks!

Yeah, I get the process to get the car dialed in, I am just looking for numbers. Did a lot of searching on the web but no joy yet. I could go out and measure what they do on the car, but that seems like a lot of work. Just wondering if someone had already done the work, thinking the manufacture here, and I could just get the data.(checked the Tractive web site but it has been down for a while)

But again thanks for the input.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by His987CS
Hey Tom, Thanks.

TIA
Short answer:
You can get 3 degrees with either pattern when using GT3 Cup LCA's

Longer answer:
Camber is also affected by ride height. For example, lowering the ride height by 10mm with gain approximately 0.3 degree. But lowering the ride height beyond a extent to gain negative camber is a compromise to the damper's available travel range and a compromise to the front end bump steer. For these reasons we don't think of camber is a single element to achieve, instead its part of the whole system(setup) to us. With that in mind, we keep the front end setup "in check" for when using stock 987 uprights and tie rods to near stock Cayman R height +/-8mm.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 AM
His987CS
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Short answer:
You can get 3 degrees with either pattern when using GT3 Cup LCA's...
Hey Tom Thanks! This is most helpful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tractive Dampers Camber Adjustment