Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hacking the GTS Synposium Sound system ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
The hose needs an adjustable aperture, official acronym and a high price tag option. Porsche exclusive VSSS. (vario sucking sound system)
Its porsche. Has to start with a P. Haha.

PVSSS
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

great, every Porsche should have a sound trumpet ! So now how get the carpet out of the boxster behind the passenger seats ???
Old 09-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard.
great, every Porsche should have a sound trumpet ! So now how get the carpet out of the boxster behind the passenger seats ???
So I can open up the membrane in the carpet at the end of the pipe for enhanced sound
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2017, 03:48 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryun43
Pulled down the carpet behind the passenger seat and stuffed some foam insulation in there.
Hey, did it go back just like it was from the factory? That's my primary worry, since I've read that's typically not the case. Also, what exactly did you have to do/remove??? Thx. Don't want any signs (wrinkles, etc) carpet was removed, like it's supposedly the case; that's why I haven't done it yet. Could also do it on the engine side, removing the tube and plugging it (already have plugs for that). But that requires significant disassembly, and don't want to do it just for the stupid symposer. But yes, it's really annoying it comes from nothing to full boom at exactly 4K rpm. And it's so loud it even masks the exhaust with PSE ON. I personally hate intake noise, especially when it overpowers probably the best sounding engine ever created.

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
it is not a fake, artificial or enhanced noise.
It is ENHANCED man. Look at the plunger-type cone near the valve. It's like a speaker, with a membrane inside to amplify sound, so basically a mechanical speaker.

Originally Posted by Richard.
So now how get the carpet out of the boxster behind the passenger seats ???
It is my understanding only the CAYMAN GTS has the symposer, not the Boxster. Find out for sure before cannibalizing your car.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody have the parts numbers yet?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc

It is ENHANCED man. Look at the plunger-type cone near the valve. It's like a speaker, with a membrane inside to amplify sound, so basically a mechanical speaker.
No. For it to be "enhanced" or amplified some energy must be added, like a speaker. There is not. The membrane is just that - a separator of the intake air in the manifold and ambient air in the tube up to the cockpit. The separation is needed because of the low pressure in the intake manifold.

Sure, the membrane affects the sound character in some way, much like a piece of cloth in front of a speaker would. But once there, it's there, it's not an active part of the design.

Further upstream, there's the control valve which is open/closed depending on engine speed (and maybe load) and driving mode (NORMAL/SPORT/SPORT PLUS)
The following users liked this post:
Cam07 (02-10-2024)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Anybody have the parts numbers yet?
I found and downloaded PET catalogues (for 981S and GT4) somewhere on the interweb (sorry, don't remember where), did you try?

I am very curious what you're going to do with the part no:s. Please tell.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:16 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
No. For it to be "enhanced" or amplified some energy must be added, like a speaker.
The membrane is to seal the intake indeed, but the cavity to amplify the noise. How do you think a guitar works? Otherwise it'd be just a straight tube. I believe the Porsche literature even spelled that out. But yes, it's more acceptable than a freaking speaker, but equally annoying to me.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:25 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Boxster GTS has it too http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...d-test-review/
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elp_jc
The membrane is to seal the intake indeed, but the cavity to amplify the noise. How do you think a guitar works? Otherwise it'd be just a straight tube. I believe the Porsche literature even spelled that out. But yes, it's more acceptable than a freaking speaker, but equally annoying to me.
Well, yes, I can agree in principle. But - downstream of the membrane the diameter of the hose is back to what is was upstream and in my view, any amplification occured in the "membrane can" will be cancelled out before it reaches the cockpit. But I have very little acoustic experience and I might be totally wrong in my practical approach

And in any case - as you know - I totally agree with you that whatever enters the cockpit that way is massively annoying - hence my plug
Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

here is more detail
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like the part numbers that are needed are 981 110 028 00 and 991 110 282 03

i cannot not tell if these will connect up to the intake or not. I don't see any other different part numbers except the right snorkel where the last number changes on the PET but not according to sunset's PET. 981 110 212 02 (Sunset PET for GTS) and 981 110 212 03 (for the PET above)
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

It seems you're planning on after-installing a symposer in your car? Did you test drive a GTS and decided that this is the sound character you want?

If so - just a friendly reminder - the symposer is controlled by a vacuum actuator + electronically controlled valve (which is controlled by the ECU). An S will most likely not have either the SW nor the connections or vacuum hoses in place needed for the system. Even if you plan on having the system sitting "passively", I would guess the vacuum actuator is closed default (spring loaded). Hence you would have to force it always open.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IN THE 60'S flipping the air cleaner lid over made noise too.....but it got old real quick....kinda like base ball card or balloons in your bikes spokes ......sound sym...poser ...good grief .Ironic it seems a lack of oxygen thought this idea/option up
Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard 'borrowed' a photo of my post on P-9

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...ml#post1853361

There are two issues: I believe one end of the symposer connects to the air cleaner as there is a different right side air cleaner for the I155 symposer option. This may require removal of the engine to remove/replace (from factory service manual). Option 2 is to modify the existing one in place. You'd need to drill a hole in the cleaner at the proper spot and put a mating flange/coupler in the hole. Hopefully there is room to do this.

The second issue is the vacuum valve connects to the PSE vacuum switch (aka electronic change over valve). If you have PSE, then it is just a T and some vacuum line. If you don't then either you can hard wire it, but I am not sure if on is with vacuum or not.

Right air cleaner part is : 981-110-214-01

The three parts are not that expensive, under $300 for the bunch.

V6

Quick Reply: Hacking the GTS Synposium Sound system ?