Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between dyno'd 'protune' and remote?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Difference between dyno'd 'protune' and remote?

Hi, posted this in an older thread and researched have not found an answer to this specific tuning question. There are tuners that offer to custom tune 'remotely' by having you send them specific logging results (they provide parameters), then you test it out, send them results & rinse/repeat until *voila* you have a custom tune that is better (presumably) than an OTS tune (let's say, for example, after adding a plenum, TB, & catted headers). My question is, how would these 'remote tunes' compare to a live dyno tune? Please note I am NOT comparing either to an OTS tune but rather "remote file swapping" to custom, on dyno, protune both using COBB AP (or equivalent). Please advise, thanks! -Dom
Old 09-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyno tunes are quicker, but as anyone that has tuned an engine should tell you, that tune is only good for that day due to temperature and humidity variations.
A remote tune that is dialed in over a span of days or weeks will be as good, just takes longer to get the final results. In some ways, the remote tune could be better because you are averaging the temp and humidity.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

That's actually a great point I had not considered. Thanks for the response!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:32 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let us know what you go with and the results!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

A remote tune can be better than a dyno tune, not so much for different conditions (the ECUs have become very good at keeping things optimal in changing conditions) but because a dyno just doesn't replicate real driving very well. Loads and airflow in particular are simply not the same as on the real road, so for tuning you can't beat real driving.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a remote pro-tune on my car and it's excellent. Is more hassle with the sending back and forth (and finding bits of closed circuit where one can hit 108mph of course) but the results are worth it.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends on the tuner and his experience level.

Some tuners remote tune for nearly 50% of their business, and are super familiar with certain engines/platforms across multiple geographic locations. If your tuner has tuned your exact engine, across multiple cars, then I'd say a remote tune is fine.

Last thing I would want, is a tuner learning the engine without ever having done one before; especially remotely.

The biggest advantage to a dyno tune is parameter control. Loading the engine, controlling the RPM, etc. Generally speaking a remote tune will require that you run a datalog on the same patch of road in an effort to keep parameters constant. If you have access to a nice flat road, that you can go from 2K to redline WOT, in 3rd/4th safely.

That said, a capable tuner can do both and do both very well.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCviggen
A remote tune can be better than a dyno tune, not so much for different conditions (the ECUs have become very good at keeping things optimal in changing conditions)
In theory yes, but in real life sensors and computers aren't perfect and a single day on the dyno may not reveal a sensor issue or tune issue because of the limited driving parameter used and no great variation between runs.
Originally Posted by JCviggen
but because a dyno just doesn't replicate real driving very well. Loads and airflow in particular are simply not the same as on the real road, so for tuning you can't beat real driving.
That must explain why race teams are constantly testing their cars' engines during practice...

Last edited by Brian C in Az; 09-23-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: I hate autocorrect!!!

Quick Reply: Difference between dyno'd 'protune' and remote?