Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident in Boise, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
The windshield damage appears to indicate someone was injured severely. I won't bore you with details but as one struck by a car I can assure you living with permanent injury is difficult and often overlooked when nobody dies.
Hope all injured are not seriously hurt, but I hope the damn Spyder is badly damaged or destroyed and the owner learns a lesson from the accident HE caused. After he gets out of prison, hopefully.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:20 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil it looks like he truly damaged it, body work aside the rear wheel suspension is toast. Even if they patch it back together it will never be what it was also can you imagine his future insurance cost?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

This guy will be ruined financially from all the law suits ..........insurance will be his last concern. Terrible recovery for the people he hit becaus they can have life long pain, and that alone can bankrupt anyone due to it being wreckless behavior insurance may not want to pay. Sad all a round.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Having reckless driving captured on video will ensure those personal injury lawsuit thrive. If you're going to be foolish, do it someplace private without cameras running! I real feel for the pedestrians. They just came out to see cars, and not become one with one.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

From the sound of that second video, it seems that the white BMW tore off fast, the Spyder driver tried to keep up and just lost control. While a part of me feels sad for the driver, because his life is forever changed by a single mistake, as others have said, I'm sure a number of those people will have permanent injuries due to his carelessness and there's a price to be paid for that. Sad all the way around, particularly because it was 100 percent avoidable. Go slow around people!
Old 09-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It's exactly this type of carelessness that ruins it for everyone else. When store owners that hose these types of events start seeing videos like this surface they get cold feet and will eventually put an end to the event. It's happened in SoCal numerous times already and unfortunately people still don't get it.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It's exactly this type of carelessness that ruins it for everyone else. When store owners that hose these types of events start seeing videos like this surface they get cold feet and will eventually put an end to the event.
So you're saying, some good might come out of this?
Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

This article has a diagram of the block and path where the accident occurred.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...d-coffee-crash

Looks like he was turning right, possibly without stopping, carrying the momentum, car started to rotate, he stayed in it, but couldn't keep it under control.

Initially I was wondering how he got so out of control by punching it and turning the wheel from a dead stop. Makes more sense if he had a head start around the corner, maybe 2nd gear or higher.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
So you're saying, some good might come out of this?
That depends on if you like attending these types of events.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:36 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, accidents like this one happen all the time and will continue happening until self driving cars take over.

At every C&C and general car meet there will be a few dick-heads trying to show off and get some extra attention. 99% of the time they just annoy people and nothing happens; the 1% cases are the ones that ruin lives.

As someone said, the owner's life is now 100% ruined- and he has no one to blame but himself. With criminal charges, injury lawsuits, and multiple angles of video evidence showing him being reckless....he is done. But such is life; one second he was king of the world showing off his Porsche, next second his world changed forever in a very bad way.

And here is an interesting read on the "implied malice" when it comes to street racing.

http://www.lapdracing.com/StreetRacingcanbeMurder.html
Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say I'm looking forward to self driving cars, that's just more control and where will we drive our antiques? Some museum car park, with cars being trailer-ed there by self driving trailers? I personally believe this is what happened to Rodas and Paul Walker in the CGT, mr showboat on old rubber. The kicker? Rodas owned a speed shop, he should have had that CGT serviced and on pristine rubber, what a dolt. Having a car like ours is a little like being Josey Wales, everybody wants to see you pull the pistols. When it's a car you know you can destroy it's like the scene where Wales says to the bounty hunter "dying ain't much of a living boy". I've had guys in F150 trucks want to go, really? Are you high over there in that truck, besides your seat height? These days I take the complete reverse view, I'll let a Hyundai accent blast past me, hey if that gives you a story to tell your friends of how you dusted the Spyder you saw that's OK in the big picture who cares?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default What????

I'm very sorry for the injured. The 981 Spyder is one of the great Porsches' ever. My favorite drive of a lifetime of RSs', 959, R etc. When I was watching this on TV I couldn't believe it. I feel that owning this car is almost a "club" of very serious enthusiasts. There are less than 900 North American cars. What????
Old 09-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That depends on if you like attending these types of events.
Hundreds of people. Lots of pedestrians and minimal, if any, organized traffic control. Dozens of high powered sports cars owned by people whose very attendance at the event indicates they like to show off their car. I mean, what could go wrong?
Old 09-18-2017, 03:14 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Hundreds of people. Lots of pedestrians and minimal, if any, organized traffic control. Dozens of high powered sports cars owned by people whose very attendance at the event indicates they like to show off their car. I mean, what could go wrong?
+1
A cop parked near the exit may have given these yahoos ( BMW could have done the same horrible thing) a second thought about punching it.

His knowledge of cold tires may have never met in the first place. Had he practiced this move somewhere safe, he'd have probably not gone for it here.

Anyone have an update on the injured?
Hopefully douche spent time insuring himself well and his money hiding skills are equal to his driving.

The injured may get something more than an education, but when asshat's insurance runs out lawyers will look to the event organizer, planting strip owner, etc., to get themselves and client paid.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Yup, the owner of that lot that allowed this event is going to get sued into the ground.

Friends don't let friends go to cars and coffee.

Quick Reply: Accident in Boise, Idaho