Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filters make less noise than OEM 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not difficult but some disassembly is definitely required, I wonder if they charge a full hour of labor at the dealer for an air filter only change? I'll bet someone out there does.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I found it to be tedious but not necessarily difficult. Getting carpeting and panels back in just right is a PITA even if not technically difficult. Taking my time and vacuuming everything out really good took me a little over an hour, but part of that was finding the right wrenches and such on the fly. My second try would be half that, I suspect.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
FWIW, I installed K&N over the weekend and the induction noise above 4-5k is way louder. It has a sort of growl and resonance that was not present before. It sounds exactly to same to my ears at normal idle-4k rpm operation. My paper filters were very dirty at 20k miles; hard to believe Porsche specs 40k intervals.
Do you have GTS with the sound symposium system just out of interest ?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:25 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
Do you have GTS with the sound symposium system just out of interest ?
Nope, that may be the difference. Mine is a CS. The difference above 5k is very obvious, to the point that my wife noticed.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Nope, that may be the difference. Mine is a CS. The difference above 5k is very obvious, to the point that my wife noticed.
thks Sir, does anyone know if there is a way to hack the GTS sound synposium system to say alter the volume ?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
thks Sir, does anyone know if there is a way to hack the GTS sound synposium system to say alter the volume ?
I don't think this is possible. My understanding of the system is that it's mechanical, not electrical. There might be an electronic valve that opens, but everything else is just another tuned tube on the intake tract which runs closer to the driver's head/ear to make things louder. Turning up the volume would involve a lot of acoustic knowledge to change the piping, resonant frequencies, and somehow amplify things further.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Nope, I don't. Without knowing the size of the particles and many other factors I don't think any of us can conclude either way. It seems to me that if the effect was significant at all there would be some sort of evidence as to engine wear (not just evidence as to increased dirt flow, which does exist to some degree and under certain conditions). Tiny particles get in already to no or little ill effect.

Also, to be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm also not saying more dirt particles don't cause damage or wear. I'm saying there's no evidence to support that, beyond speculation and assumption.

I do know that I've ran them for hundreds of thousands of miles in a wide variety of applications and never had an issue, and while I'm but one small data point, tens or hundreds of thousands of other folks have done the same.

Didn't mean to derail thread, so we should probably just agree to disagree and both enjoy our cars
I appreciate that you want to see data. I'm an engineer. I generally prefer to deal in data too. In this case it's just logic and experience for me.

If the K&N filter is the same length and diameter as the OEM filter it has approximately the same surface area for air to flow through it. The only way you make more power is by flowing more air. If you have exactly the same size / shape / area of filtration then the only way you get more air through it is to offer less restriction. Reduced restriction comes in the form of reduced filtration (larger holes / pores).

I had to deal with this when I built the water filtration system for my home. Using a 20 micron filter element would give me 16 gallons per minute flow rate. Using a 5 micron filter element provides cleaner water, but limits me to 7 gallons per minute...and I have to replace the filter more often.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:42 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
The only way you make more power is by flowing more air. If you have exactly the same size / shape / area of filtration then the only way you get more air through it is to offer less restriction. Reduced restriction comes in the form of reduced filtration (larger holes / pores).
What you said is true, but you're assuming the factory filters are restrictive, and I'd bet my house they're not. The engine only needs so much air, and if the factory filters are already providing that amount, all you're doing with 'freer flowing' filters is getting more dirt into the engine.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:55 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 222 Posts

No need to assume anything. One of the links I posted above has actual ISO test data.

Pressure drops across various filters were in the 4-6 in. H2O range (0.14-0.22 PSI). The difference between the worst paper filter and the K&N was about 2 in. H20 (0.07 PSI). The non-ISO test showed similar results.

The difference in flow is negligible, and absolutely not worth it (in my opinion) due to the poor filtering performance and loading characteristics of the oiled cloth filter.

"Compared to the [best performing paper filter], the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

Go with engineering data over marketing.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

I don't think this is possible. My understanding of the system is that it's mechanical, not electrical. There might be an electronic valve that opens, but everything else is just another tuned tube on the intake tract which runs closer to the driver's head/ear to make things louder. Turning up the volume would involve a lot of acoustic knowledge to change the piping, resonant frequencies, and somehow amplify things further.
Guys can you discuss the merits of non OEM filters elsewhere please

For the Sound symposium system where does the pipe take the sound from in the engine bay please ?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Scooby921
Racer

A Google search reveals that the sound symposer pipe is basically an opening through the firewall which dumps noise into the carpet / insulation behind the seats.

http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...-gts-image-jpg
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A Google search reveals that the sound symposer pipe is basically an opening through the firewall which dumps noise into the carpet / insulation behind the seats.

http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...-gts-image-jpg
Guess no one is worried about dumping flames into the passenger compartment in the event of an engine fire..
Old 09-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Guess no one is worried about dumping flames into the passenger compartment in the event of an engine fire..
thks I'm sure Porsche have thought this one through, anyone have a guide on how to remove this section of carpet behind the passenger seats on a 981 Boxster please ?

Quick Reply: K&N Filters make less noise than OEM 981 GTS