Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder Fabspeed Sport Headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:21 AM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder Fabspeed Sport Headers Install

Well, I wanted to follow-up to my post regarding the swap from my 981 Spyder to my 987.2 Spyder. One of the most polarizing differences between the two cars was the sound difference when going to the 987.2...it was a massive drop-off. Even with the optional PSE, it was nothing like the audible delight provided by the 981 out of the box. In fact, it hardly seems like PSE even makes a material difference, at least relative to how I was conditioned by its successor. For me, in a car like this, I really value this attribute to extract the most driving enjoyment.

Keeping this car stock is important to me (2k miles, LWB, manual), but addressing the sound deficiency was even more so (with the prerequisite that any changes are reversible). I have had a variety of cars with a variety of aftermarket exhaust components with a variety of results. Most of the time, the end result whether good or bad was a sound or loudness that definitely conveyed "not stock". When I elected to go with the Fabspeed Sport Headers, I assumed it would be just the same, but with a positive outcome given their reputation in the Porsche community.

Fast forward to the receipt of the headers and subsequent install. These certainly pass the looks test...the workmanship is top notch, as is the fitment. I had high expectations and they were met. What I didn't expect was the outcome...to put it bluntly, this is how the car should have come from the factory. It is an utter transformation when the PSE is activated, giving more heart and soul in a manner that compliments and amplifies the signature sound vs. altering it like you would see with more radical applications. I have had a stupid grin and a f*@k yeah attitude with every mile post-install, and even the sudden rain on the inital test drive couldn't dampen the experience. If you have a 987 Spyder and PSE, and you don't have these installed, consider eating noodles for a month if necessary to enable it. I am sure there have been other reviews of the Fabspeed headers, so consider this reinforcement.

Special thanks to Joe @ Momentum Worx for his product support and rapid responsiveness, the folks at Fabspeed, and two really good dudes locally that came over to install in my garage and document with some cool pics.

The 987 is starting to capture my heart. It has had steering, shifting, and handling working for it right off the bat (and a real e-brake ). That bikini top was fantastic in the rain too...I now "get it". Throw in a step change like this in the sound department, and it screams keeper.
Attached Images          
Old 08-29-2017, 02:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It's on my list of things to do but for now I'm holding off until I get a handle on how California Smog handles aftermarket catalytic's.

What a beautiful example and great pictures. Silver and Red is a striking combo on the Spyder.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 AM
Gbboenda
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP - Beautiful car - excellent specs. Glad to hear you enjoy it.

I had exactly the same considerations earlier in the year....found the car lacking in the aural department. I also departed with some hard earned cash and went for Fabspeed Sport headers. If you are curious -> https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...fter-dyno.html
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM
kskpsu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gbboenda
OP - Beautiful car - excellent specs. Glad to hear you enjoy it.

I had exactly the same considerations earlier in the year....found the car lacking in the aural department. I also departed with some hard earned cash and went for Fabspeed Sport headers. If you are curious -> https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...fter-dyno.html
This is awesome, figured others had write-ups, and I love your thoroughness. I did the same for the Volvo community on Polestar as I was a early adopter of a dowpipe with a 200 cel cat made by the same company that is the oem provider of the cat back sport exhaust...the results were hard to believe if I hadn't done immediate before and after dyno runs. For the Fabspeed application here, my one and only mission was sound, and I am really pleased with the outcome.

Also glad to see I am not the only one obsessed with weight reduction! PCCB is off the table from a cost standpoint, but I have my list! These headers dropped 10lbs for me, I believe. As a 2011, I can do two more things logically in the near future...tires are the original Bridgestone N0 and the battery is from early 2013 (PO must have not believed in trickle chargers). If I get Pirelli PZero N2 for instance, that saves 4 lbs each in the rear and 3lbs each in the front. I run Minchelin PSS on everything, and they are in the vicinity as well, but the thought of removing 14lbs of unsprung weight/rotational mass with just a comparable tire swap is almost comical...especially when removing the rear wheels on Sunday with the current rubber and realizing just how magical the 19" Spyder wheels are from a weight standpoint. I will likely also target a Odyssey battery next year...should be a savings of about 25 lbs if my memory serves me correctly. I need to lose about 15 lbs too ;-)

Thanks again. And btw, I have a BMW garage queen too. Nice E46 you have there.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Beautiful photography and great write-up! Can you post a post-installation sound clip?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by kskpsu
Fast forward to the receipt of the headers and subsequent install. These certainly pass the looks test...the workmanship is top notch, as is the fitment. I had high expectations and they were met. What I didn't expect was the outcome...to put it bluntly, this is how the car should have come from the factory. It is an utter transformation when the PSE is activated, giving more heart and soul in a manner that compliments and amplifies the signature sound vs. altering it like you would see with more radical applications. I have had a stupid grin and a f*@k yeah attitude with every mile post-install, and even the sudden rain on the inital test drive couldn't dampen the experience. If you have a 987 Spyder and PSE, and you don't have these installed, consider eating noodles for a month if necessary to enable it. I am sure there have been other reviews of the Fabspeed headers, so consider this reinforcement.

Special thanks to Joe @ Momentum Worx for his product support and rapid responsiveness, the folks at Fabspeed, and two really good dudes locally that came over to install in my garage and document with some cool pics.
"If you have a 987 Spyder and PSE, and you don't have these installed, consider eating noodles for a month if necessary to enable it..."You've got me in stitches over here my friend! Thank you so much for your kind words. I am always thrilled to find truly satisfied customers. My goal is always to provide Porsche lovers with products that are going to meet their goal: it looks like our Sport Headers did the trick for you! And Joe over at Momentum Worx indeed is the man!

These photos are amazing, would you be ok if we featured them in our social media posts and/or website pages? We would credit the photographer, of course. I might use them in a post myself as well. Good thing the photographer has a watermark! Great shots.

If you had a quick minute and felt compelled to copy/paste what you've written in a review on our website, I would be extremely grateful! Positive reviews from satisfied customers like you go a long way in helping future customers achieve their goals and make the right performance decisions. Here's a link. Thanks again for your raving review!

http://www.fabspeed.com/987-2-boxste.../#write_review

Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

I have had a stupid grin and a f*@k yeah attitude with every mile post-install, and even the sudden rain on the inital test drive couldn't dampen the experience. If you have a 987 Spyder and PSE, and you don't have these installed, consider eating noodles for a month if necessary to enable it.
Originally Posted by olegd
Beautiful photography and great write-up! Can you post a post-installation sound clip?
Even though you're not in a Spyder, perhaps some poignant advice from our friend kskpsu here, eh Alex?
Old 08-29-2017, 06:53 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I wanted to follow-up to my post regarding the swap from my 981 Spyder to my 987.2 Spyder. One of the most polarizing differences between the two cars was the sound difference when going to the 987.2...it was a massive drop-off. Even with the optional PSE, it was nothing like the audible delight provided by the 981 out of the box. In fact, it hardly seems like PSE even makes a material difference, at least relative to how I was conditioned by its successor. For me, in a car like this, I really value this attribute to extract the most driving enjoyment.

Keeping this car stock is important to me (2k miles, LWB, manual), but addressing the sound deficiency was even more so (with the prerequisite that any changes are reversible). I have had a variety of cars with a variety of aftermarket exhaust components with a variety of results. Most of the time, the end result whether good or bad was a sound or loudness that definitely conveyed "not stock". When I elected to go with the Fabspeed Sport Headers, I assumed it would be just the same, but with a positive outcome given their reputation in the Porsche community.

The 987 is starting to capture my heart. It has had steering, shifting, and handling working for it right off the bat (and a real e-brake ). That bikini top was fantastic in the rain too...I now "get it". Throw in a step change like this in the sound department, and it screams keeper.
Hello Kareem,

This is John Gaydos, previously from Fabspeed and now AutoQuest Motorsport. It was an absolute pleasure working with you, and I appreciate you taking the leap of faith and getting the headers. I have preached the Header/PSE combination since the day I did the install on my own Cayman R, and your enthusiasm and willingness to follow through with the recommendations was a credit to your passion for the car. I am thrilled to see that the results have exceeded your expectations and met mine. One of these days we should chat about some ideas I have for you to lose a little weight off the car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It's on my list of things to do but for now I'm holding off until I get a handle on how California Smog handles aftermarket catalytic's.

What a beautiful example and great pictures. Silver and Red is a striking combo on the Spyder.
2 years and counting Afshin, one of these days I'll answer the phone and you'll say "John....it's time" and I might just shed a tear haha.

FYI, SMOG/CARB should be every two years over there, and it only takes about two hours to swap those headers out for the emissions test. Negligible time and effort for the enjoyment you'll have for two years.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:00 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
For your reference, here is my full writeup on my experience installing headers on my Cayman R. Below is a video of it in action (PDK sounds even better, nice pop on shifts), and there are some more on my Youtube channel as well. Headers/PSE is the "Golden Ticket".

Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Jason
Even though you're not in a Spyder, perhaps some poignant advice from our friend kskpsu here, eh Alex?
This is what I call direct marketing!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thank you, Afshin. I have always admired yours.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 PM
kskpsu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Jason
[I]
These photos are amazing, would you be ok if we featured them in our social media posts and/or website pages? We would credit the photographer, of course. I might use them in a post myself as well. Good thing the photographer has a watermark! Great shots.

If you had a quick minute and felt compelled to copy/paste what you've written in a review on our website, I would be extremely grateful! Positive reviews from satisfied customers like you go a long way in helping future customers achieve their goals and make the right performance decisions. Here's a link. Thanks again for your raving review!

http://www.fabspeed.com/987-2-boxste.../#write_review
Sure thing, Jason. If you want to PM me an email, I can send you a zipped file with the high res originals. Would be happy to leave a review.

Joe will be placing an order soon for a midpipe for my 2017 M3 ZCP with M Performance Exhaust. One of these days I will figure out a way to justify one of your carbon fiber signs....
Old 08-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Fantastic write up. What a great looking car and I remember with mine wanting a little bit more sound. Great job!

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder Fabspeed Sport Headers Install